Forums
April 28, 2024, 03:32 PM

Author Topic: Elite maps? Random or Elaborated?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline franz

Re: Elite maps? Random or Elaborated?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05 AM »
I will still play any and every map, but of course everyone has their own preferences.

I usually take the time to find a complex enough random map and prefer cheese to add hides, but I am also fine with other people editing maps.  I don't expect everyone to be as patient to find a complex enough random map or even complex enough reseeded objects, so if editing helps these people to get complex maps, go for it.

Just don't over do it and make it into a battlerace/moleshopper like map.  Everyone should just try to find that happy middle ground. :)

Offline Turko

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 01:26 AM »
Playing elite in random maps is just predictable.. I mean...

The game starts: Tele worms... 6 or 7 turns of dinamytes, sheeps, shotguns and skunks until someone realizes that probably the next turn will lose.. then teleport to a hard hide (which the opponent can not reach)... then bazookas, grenades or molotovs till someone is encouraged and rope to atack... then fail and lose/ or works and win...

I think the elite maps must be edited (a little or a lot, depends the player and the map) not to "minimising luck facts"... to keep that "elite essence"... which makes this scheme different than intermediate or hysteria.

Anyway I have no problem to play in random maps, but I dont think thats the best way to play elite...
Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53 AM »
Wait a second, if you find random map Elite always the same, what then are the situations that only happen on highly edited maps and can't happen on complex random maps? Can you describe some of them? Apart from being able to darkside extremely (so that getting to your cluster of worms is guaranteed suicide) and doing notched BnG shots from the first turn until sudden death, I honestly can't think of anything else. And those things are the definition of boring and predictable to me!

Have you been following EAC this year? What I've been noticing there is the complete opposite of what you just described. Many of the games on those terrible edited maps seem to play out exactly the same and end up being decided by some random grenade bounce that feels unsatisfying even to the winner, let alone anyone watching the game as a spectator. One player securing an advantage for himself in the early game can far too easily be reversed later on, when both sides are just going through the motions waiting for SD. Matches played on random maps on the other hand have a quicker pace, more situations in which a player is forced to quickly do something or risk losing their health/positional advantage, more varied attacks, the players have to display deeper knowledge of game mechanics, risk more, rely on turn advantage more often and so on and so on. Again, what other than this is the essence of Elite? The difference between this and Intermediate is huge, ask anyone who's any good at both schemes!

Mab said it perfectly earlier in this thread:

On random maps, you really have to formulate a plan of attack, and this is almost entirely absent from many complex maps, where it's always at least an option to hide away and BnG without ever attempting to reach your opponent. There are many more instances where you can stop thinking during complex map games, but not so much for randoms.

Which part of not having to think for long periods of time sounds like the essence of Elite to anyone here? :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:56 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline Devilage

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35 AM »
Eddited maps turn into a fort game, random maps are the best if u are good at this scheme, ofc we will play every map, but random ones takes ur brain to the limit.

Smoking proud.