Forums
May 02, 2024, 11:23 AM

Author Topic: ageLOC Vitality  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Almog

ageLOC Vitality
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:41 PM »
has anyone heard of it? I think it's pretty amazing
http://www.ageloc.com/ageloc/en-US/ageloc_products/ageloc_vitality.html

Re: ageLOC Vitality
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:49 PM »
yeap. agneau eats them alot cus otherwise he would be like a dead fish after the first night with mexd
"since most people tend to the order side, its my job to spread chaos" -peja

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:00 PM »
It's pretty amazing how they can claim all this without testing it :) I wonder how much sugar is in this.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13 PM »
From just that page they don't really make any claims.  In fact, the link tells anyone selling this product not to make any claims about it.

Instead they have testimonials and anecdotes about it's benefits.

Yet on the home page it makes it sound like a really effective product.

Red flags all over the shop.  I call scam.

Alternative medicine sucks.  Please no one buy into it.

:>

Offline Rok

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Seems to work just like good chocolate.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline nino

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08 AM »
rice and beans works better imo
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Almog

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:40 PM »
uhm
from what I saw it was tested and it's nothing like sugar O_O stanford university signed on it

http://vimeo.com/19077914

it really got to me cause I study bio-technology , and to be honest this product doesnt look like scienece fiction to me but a real science.. I dont think it's a scam... there are drugs that cure cancers which work similary to this product

if someone is interested into learning something about the Epigenetic research, I recommend this article
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/epigenetic-therapy.html

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 01:01 PM »
real science.. I dont think it's a scam...

I think it is! :D

Stanford University also did ESP and other paranormal research.  Doesn't mean anything.

I just watched their science video.  Again, there were no scientific claims in the whole video, nor any references to scientific studies done directly on their product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not scientifically literate nor claiming any special knowledge.  It does strike me as weird though that these guys are suggesting they have 'breakthrough' products in the anti-aging field.

If so, then why has hardly anyone heard of these people and these products.  Why isn't the queen using this shit by royal command.  Why haven't they won nobel prizes for increasing human life expectancy.

And give me an hour and I'll show you about 50 products or more with a similar salespitch and similar 'science' videos to back them up!

:<

*edit*

K, I just watched the science study video on that vimeo link.  LOL!

So you got 2 mice.  First of all that is a laughably small amount of test subjects.  Then that video with one of them sitting still and the other running around.  Wha was that meant to prove I wonder?  At the least we'd need to get some idea of the mice's activity levels over a reasonable period of time if that formed part of the protocol, not just a selected 30 second sample.  That isn't science, it's sales.

Then you got the fact that this study wasn't even on Ageloc's Vitality product; it was actually a study on just one of the ingredients from Ageloc's product without mentioning if the quantities were comparable.

Then you got the fact that this wasn't a study putting Ageloc to the test at all.  It was about lifespan extension.

Laughable video.  

And did they do a follow up study on the mice to show how they were after 1 week, 1 month, 6 months.  Who cares if the mouse was fine for 10 minutes running about.  The one with the 'ingredient' my have died of a heart attack a week later. 

Etc etc.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:43 PM by Cueshark »

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Well, it does look promising, but I wouldn't call it more than that just yet. It's just one mouse compared to one other mouse and that in itself does not prove anything (there's a thing called chance that can heavily influence the outcome). That said, when penicillin was first "invented" (for lack of a better word for it), they tested it on one soldier and also had a profound effect on him. But as an example of another outcome, I can tell you of a patient with a completely blocked carotid artery on both sides (the blood vessels in your neck that supply your brain with oxygen/nutrients) where they did stenting (opening the vessel from within and leaving a stent to keep it open) on both sides that had no complication and led to an improved quality of life.
In the academic hospital in Groningen, they tried doing that as well, but it in the first 10 patients, 2 died from bleeding inside the head after the procedure.
A study with just 1 subject doesn't always provide answers you are looking for :)

There's also the question of the difference in physiology between mice and men as well as the living standard of mice and men, the feeding habit of mice and men. You can't make a parallel between this research and how people would react to it. I can think of many questions in the method this research was conducted, though I'm sure most of them will have satisfying answers, but some of them might not. Were the mice genetically altered (knock-out genes) to miss a certain protein for example? What do they mean with "a normal diet"?

Research is very heavily funded by companies and they decide what gets published or not. Not only that, there's a thing called publication bias, which basically means that if your research shows no clear advantage or even a disadvantage from a new drug/method, then there's a higher chance the paper won't be published. About 30% of the case reports that had no favourable effect were not published because of this publication bias. (this is of course an estimation). And you will find various outcomes to studies. Aspartame is a famous example; some doctors are on a crusade against aspartame and have found increases in brain cancer and other diseases in their studies, but it has been researched extensively and they are in the clear minority; most studies find no correlation between aspartame and diseases occurring. Makes you wonder how the positive studies were conducted :) The fact that the FDA was not involved in this project is very suspect to me and makes it very likely that the company did a lot to make it look good.
Homeopathy is another subject that is always advertised as the new thing to get you healthy and slow down aging, but there has been no proof that it actually works. The lancet has given up on it entirely; they had their shot, but they are still advertised as good medicine (even though some forms of homeopathy have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of for example chemotherapy).

This is why we are very careful in medicine before we apply a new therapy; it requires rigorous testing, preferrably in big multi-center trials before we call a new treatment the best thing since sliced bread.

Interesting article about epigenetics. I was aware of the phenomenon, but not so much about the effect on cancer. Not sure what to think of MDS as a form of leukemia, though, I've known of several patients with MDS that did not have cancer cells found in their bone marrow (though the image they put on that site clearly does). I thought it was a stadium before actual leukemia, where not everybody develops it, even if the percentage is very high. The new drug he describes seems like a variant of capecitabine, which is a well-established drug in the treatment of cancer already (breast cancer and colon cancer for example as well as AML already), which makes me wonder what the results are in comparison to capecitabine (newer drugs are always more expensive, and therefore more attractive to research for pharmaceutical companies).

Generally, new medicine first creates a buzz: "this is the miracle cure!", then a buzz-kill cause of finding out side effects: "We must stop using them immediately, because there are so many side effects!" and finally a thorough considerion of the pros and cons, either incorporating them in our little books (eg prednison in the 80s) or throwing them out entirely (eg rofecoxib in the last decade, though the latter may not have reached the final stage yet)

Sorry for the long post :) But my time in writing a scientific paper has made me highly sceptical of new treatments (though of course, not obstinate in that I deny all of them automatically :))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:14 PM by DarkOne »

Offline Husk

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Did I just witness ageLOC Vitality getting owned?

Offline Ramone

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Maaan, that message at the end of that video: "Want to be the Mouse on the Right? Ask Me How" - sounds like a cheap commercial for some detergent or some dietary supplements or something! :D "Want to lose weight in 10 days? Ask Me How!" xD

That video only shows one thing: that the mouse on the left is stoned as a brick! xD
Here's the evidence:

;)

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Yeah, anything moving even slightly seems energetic compared to that stoned mouse.

They take the viewing public for absolute idiots...which is unfortunately what most of them are.

:<

Offline Almog

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53 PM »
edit: nvm lol

edit 2: ok , I can't be arsed to read the whole thing, but I have a feeling Cue and D1 will be interested

the clinical study of ageloc vitality:
http://davevass.typepad.com/billiondollarteam/2010/10/ageloc-vitality-clinical-studies-for-all-the-skeptics-.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:59 PM by Almog »

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 05:09 PM »
edit: nvm lol

edit 2: ok , I can't be arsed to read the whole thing, but I have a feeling Cue and D1 will be interested

the clinical study of ageloc vitality:
http://davevass.typepad.com/billiondollarteam/2010/10/ageloc-vitality-clinical-studies-for-all-the-skeptics-.html

Well, this is all fair enough.

But if you keep getting constructive arguments against your position, are you gonna just post more stuff or actually shift your position?

In other words, if I do some research and find that my position still stands strong, and show you the reasons why.  Will you concede my point or just throw more stuff at me?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:21 PM by Cueshark »

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01 PM »
aww, only abstracts :( They mention anti-oxidative properties that seem to prevent aging, which makes me wonder if the same effect can be achieved by dropping an orange in their food tray once in a while, since ascorbic acid also has anti-oxidative properties.

The references are quite bad. I tried finding the articles in the references and the first article had nothing to say about ageLOC in the abstract (despite mentioning several others) and the second and third article I tried to find didn't even appear in the results (reference 7, which doesn't even have a journal, apparently and article 11). The author Nicodemus RK, who appears in several articles as co-author doesn't even seem to have any articles published that I could find.
I am naturally suspicious of articles published in "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine", since they still publish articles on homeopathy, which has no scientific evidence at all.

[...]I can't be arsed to read the whole thing [...]

As Cueshark pointed out, this is what they're hoping for :o