Forums
May 17, 2024, 03:37 AM

Author Topic: All Against Komito aka getting to know how Komo rolls in life  (Read 15453 times)

Re: All Against Komito aka getting to know how Komo rolls in life
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12 PM »
What I wanna know is, if you were so awesome and basically achieved "Legend" status, where has the skill gone?

I mean, you can hold your own with the rope but surely to go from being one of the best ropers/warmers ever to how you are now is a bit strange.

Maybe I'm just being cynical (again).

I mean, Anubis hasn't warmed/roped like he used to for ages I bet,  he's been out of the scene, but if he had a little while to dust off his rope I'm sure he'd be able to show us some of the old magic. 

I know you're going to say that playing BnG for so long and not roping so much has made you rusty.  But having roped for so many hundreds of hours, the Legend must still be in you and you would be able to bring it back again.

;O
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:16 PM by Cueshark »

Offline Crazy

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Well Cueshark, Komo did end on 1st place in the first TRL season (Roper), earning a medal after winning 85% of his games and gaining the highest seasonal and overall points. He played 13 games the following season in TRL, which was also Roper, and won all 13 games. Komo's always been a great roper in my opinion, but I can't state my opinion regarding how he was during 99-01. We're talking 11-12 years ago, comparing warming back then with today's standards is really difficult to do. Of course, the way Komo presents himself as one of the best is kind of odd, but I agree with franz in this case.  A lot of guys that haven't even played Komo during this period we're discussing are even mocking him, I do understand why because he's asking for it, but I don't think it's fair
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:03 PM by Crazy »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Well, from personal experience I can tell that you do lose a lot of skill when you stop playing for a long time, it's not about 1-2 months no worming, it's about not playing for years. I have lost much skill in BnG, like literally all skill in roper (can't drop/shoot for shit) and so on...

The good thing though is, when I focused on the schemes I could gain the knowledge back in a pretty fast way. Like that little notching guide, if I were active I could have made that in like 30 minutes and it would been perfect with no missed shots, and more detailed. But I had to relearn the things I used to do there so it took me like 2 hours with little practicing and still missed some shots. It's not really an issue that you "lose" it. It's more like you simply need to focus and force yourself to remember all the little things you did unconsciously while playing years ago.

Another example, people that really know me from the early years know that I started to twitch with 1 finger and then went to fingerroll. Like out of curiosity I tried to do twitch roping again, I knew how it works and could even do some good things but my hand would get upset and it would take some weeks to get the hang of it. Same with 2hand taps, having the coordination still to do really fast 2hand taps but the movement between arrow keys and space to do shadows/scrolls etc. is really off so I would need to practice that a bit.

So, yeah, Cue is right there. You can perfectly regain your skill if you have the same passion, it's just a matter of if you want to do it again. (and to a lesser aspect also the keyboard when talking about roping)

About Komo and his warming career, back then it was pretty neat to see him roping, he definitely had a unique style of doing kicks into near the ceiling 2hand scrolls and very rapid shadows. It was probably the only reason I learned 2handed taps. So I got inspired by makaveli aka SupremE to learn twitching, got inspired by shady to fingerroll and inspired by komodo to learn 2hand taps, inspired by wargod to modify my spacebar and inspired by marco to stop doing useless taps all over the place and use them wisely to do awesome roping, inspired by jmoberg to learn efficiency.

Oh and ropa needs to be in this list too, I learned from ropa how to alias in perfection. :D

And if I think about it, all the wormers I met affected me, and I am sure everyone can say the same. Like for example dw33b and al2cane. They got me into BnG so much that it was my favorite scheme together with warming! Or take iP, the clan I had with sharky (nakra) and spalding, it is where I learned to learn all schemes because I had to. It actually feels so bad to only name so few wormers, I would love to make a huge list of all the people I met and what I experienced with them. Something I could gather in my "clan hopping time" is, that there are way too many cool people and way to less IPs to fake so they don't catch your alias, lol.

Learned from the best I'd say. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:54 PM by DeathInFire »

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16 PM »
Well, from personal experience I can tell that you do lose a lot of skill when you stop playing for a long time, it's not about 1-2 months no worming, it's about not playing for years. I have lost much skill in BnG, like literally all skill in roper (can't drop/shoot for shit) and so on...

The good thing though is, when I focused on the schemes I could gain the knowledge back in a pretty fast way. Like that little notching guide, if I were active I could have made that in like 30 minutes and it would been perfect with no missed shots, and more detailed. But I had to relearn the things I used to do there so it took me like 2 hours with little practicing and still missed some shots. It's not really an issue that you "lose" it. It's more like you simply need to focus and force yourself to remember all the little things you did unconsciously while playing years ago.

Another example, people that really know me from the early years know that I started to twitch with 1 finger and then went to fingerroll. Like out of curiosity I tried to do twitch roping again, I knew how it works and could even do some good things but my hand would get upset and it would take some weeks to get the hang of it. Same with 2hand taps, having the coordination still to do really fast 2hand taps but the movement between arrow keys and space to do shadows/scrolls etc. is really off so I would need to practice that a bit.

So, yeah, Cue is right there. You can perfectly regain your skill if you have the same passion, it's just a matter of if you want to do it again.
True, but it's damn hard to be as passionated as before since you know you're playing worst than your capabilities. :p
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45 PM »
Ok lets be blunt here....

Franz, Anubis, ropa, avirex, Chick23... trying to think of anyone else on this forum that has been around....

Would YOU personally consider Komodo a top 10 roper in your list?  Would you consider him top 10 in your list of warmers? Would you consider him in your top 25 of either?

Not being a dick or making this personal at all, I'm simply just being honest; he wouldn't make mine..

Offline cOke

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51 PM »
its rare i will come to komo's defence when he does it so well himself but he is pretty solid in 15s roper now, not much style but the consistency and efficiency makes up for it

i can't even comment on year 2000 wa + however i will probably conclusively state that i am the best there ever was
HNN4EVA

Offline cOke

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2012, 11:53 PM »
also i'm gonna have to argue here for an old school rope tournament, large scale, even including everyone, not starting till at least all the people in this thread are in

no matter how rusty every ones sheriffs badge is now in old age surely it would be fun to have one large scale roper revival tournament
HNN4EVA

Offline Anubis

« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 12:12 AM »

So, yeah, Cue is right there. You can perfectly regain your skill if you have the same passion, it's just a matter of if you want to do it again.
True, but it's damn hard to be as passionated as before since you know you're playing worst than your capabilities. :p

What the worst is actually, when you start losing skill you will not get as excited when you get better again because you already had that skill at some point, and when you reach your old skill you will need to show even more passion to improve on top of that. So getting better now feels pointless because you already reached that some time ago.

I can name so many occasions where I felt "special" because I reached a new level of roping. Like that absolutely smooth scroll across the map, the sick kick streak, etc. you name it.

Ok lets be blunt here....

Franz, Anubis, ropa, avirex, Chick23... trying to think of anyone else on this forum that has been around....

Would YOU personally consider Komodo a top 10 roper in your list?  Would you consider him top 10 in your list of warmers? Would you consider him in your top 25 of either?

Not being a dick or making this personal at all, I'm simply just being honest; he wouldn't make mine..

I can't remember all ropers I played with to such an extent that I can point my finger and say yes/no to that. If you would rather ask if he had an unique style of roping I'd say: Yes he did have a very unique approach to warming or roping in general back then. That doesn't make him the best or Top 10, but I'd instantly say "that's komo roping" if you could show me a replay from back then.

And wtf, Chicken23, I can't even remember playing with him outside of League games a roper/rr/warmer. How would he know? :)

I used to love all this who's best warmer of all time and shit, but now I am settled and I would rather just get along, in fact I'd time travel back and watch all of us in our prime rope together. xD

Also, a huge impact is that back in the warmer days I had a different approach and value in warmers. Back then all that mattered to me was speed, pure speed, be it taps, kicks or whatever. Now that has shifted towards style, I value that a lot more now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:20 AM by DeathInFire »

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Argh such a neutral mind!!!~~~

The reason I included Chick23 was because he's been around  a long time.  Doesn't necessarily mean he was the best roper or one of them, but it means he has insight on history and who he use to hear was great etc... plus he'd see league records and knew who was doing what.

Offline cOke

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35 AM »
ye the problem with wa now days is that people are far too nostalgic and would rather talk 20 pages about, that is fair enough however i am still compaigning for this revival roper tourney ae
HNN4EVA

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48 AM »
A tourney of that nature would be like asking Michael Jordan to come back and prove he can beat LeBron James.

Offline avirex

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2012, 01:22 AM »
shady, i guess what anubis is trying to say, is exactly what your trying to say to madog... with your jordan and james quote...

maybe komo was great in his prime (im sure he was greater in his own mind, but thats besides the point)

infact, i know komo was great at a time, i used to be in many clans with komo, and we always did great (that was before he lost his mind, and turned into a crazy forum man)

for the record, komo is still great in roping, and bng and tbh, hes pretty much a solid all around still to this date... too bad he doesnt play more, but his priorities are being the crazy scott on the forums, and switching clans and communites in hopes for attention, its too bad...

so back to my original point, as anubis said it would be nice to see everyone in their prime compete... but that will never happen... for instance, i have prolly taken as much breaks from the game in total time as i have played... my prime is gone forever, i will never be as good as i once was, and at this point i dont even care...

hell my prime was really on w2, i would literally play the game from morning till night, i was addicted... as im sure everyone at some point in their life was to this game (some still are)

so lets stop argueing over who was good, better, and best.... we all have one thing in common, we love/loved this game.... so lets just all agree komo was best and move on ;D this thread is getting boring lol..

and for me to even get sick of it, you know its time to move on, cuz we all know i love the drama ;D

Offline cOke

« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2012, 01:50 AM »
so lets stop argueing over who was good, better, and best.... we all have one thing in common, we love/loved this game.... so lets just all agree komo was best and move on ;D this thread is getting boring lol..

;D

hopefully if everyone can agree that they are past it they might get involved in a tourney, at least inspire some funnas and warmers out of it, i aint really concerned with who is the best but it may be fun for a laugh/joke competitive aspect

ofc i was the best but this was pre-replay era so there is a massively rose tinted nature to my current reflection of my past roping ability
HNN4EVA

Offline Anubis

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14 AM »
I dunno if anyone still has the endurance to do.. what was it? 12hours of straight warming? Well with little breaks or to pick up new guys when someone had to leave. Like avi said, there was a time where nothing existed to me (us) other than W:A lol. It's really hard to re-enable this mode again, even with much free time on your hands. We speak on average of like 12 years of worming, some more, some less that's in gaming years an eternity. And of course everyone felt different about skill-levels. We all have our own personal list saved and objectivity is rather rare when it comes to roping. Is efficiency better than bursts of pixel kicks? Or style? Consistency? There are so many aspects of roping and talking about it makes me wanna play it, but quite often when I log-in to get a quick overview who is online I see mostly unknown faces and sign off. :(

Offline cOke

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2012, 02:28 AM »
sure. i'm not askin anyone to rope for 36 hours straight, but all i'm sayin is if such a tourney is organised you'd see a lot more of those familiar faces involved. i can't really sell it anymore but it may be a blast from the past
HNN4EVA