Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:14 AM

Author Topic: Logical riddle, not to detect.  (Read 12292 times)

Re: Logical riddle, not to detect.
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2014, 01:08 AM »
It's a pretty big object that isn't regularly seen on airports

Offline Bloopy

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41 AM »
What about photons of different wave lengths? Light is one part of the spectrum (rainbow spectrum, totally gay!), the other's friend could be infrared (totally hot) and the other side of the spectrum would be X-rays and gamma rays. The distance would be one of energy level, but the fact that they're all electromagnetic waves suggests they belong together.

Almost there! You got the hot part right, but x-rays and gamma rays don't look like... well, anything. Except perhaps Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man.
x_+

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2014, 02:09 PM »
What about photons of different wave lengths? Light is one part of the spectrum (rainbow spectrum, totally gay!), the other's friend could be infrared (totally hot) and the other side of the spectrum would be X-rays and gamma rays. The distance would be one of energy level, but the fact that they're all electromagnetic waves suggests they belong together.

Almost there! You got the hot part right, but x-rays and gamma rays don't look like... well, anything. Except perhaps Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man.

X-rays do look like me  ???

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55 PM »

Infrared isn't really visible either! Except for bees.
If you have to be able to see them (except infrared, which you can feel, I guess - totally hot), then the other 2 would have to be red light and violet light (red light is the friend of infrared as they are close together in terms of energy, violet is totally gay, the colours share similaries with regards to RGB values, but they are far apart in the visible spectrum)

Offline Bloopy

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2014, 02:34 AM »
red light and violet light (red light is the friend of infrared as they are close together in terms of energy, violet is totally gay, the colours share similaries with regards to RGB values, but they are far apart in the visible spectrum)

Correctamundo! Though you didn't explain the change from one to the other part.

Infrared isn't really visible either!

The riddle just says the two look like they belong together. It never said anything about the hot friend having any appearance whatsoever.
x_+

Offline Rok

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2014, 09:56 AM »
That's your thing, D1? The crane?

Nice riddle, Bloopy, and gj D1.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Bloopy, sure I did, they are far apart on the visible spectrum, the difference would be one in wave length 340 nm for red and 750nm for violet (if I recall correctly).

Nice image, Rok :) Bloopy already gave the answer, but you and ropa were still guessing, so i thought I'd see how long it would take you. Here are the other photos I took.

You can see the shadow of the space shuttle, even in original picture. The plane looks a bit too big to be just one and there's a red carpet laid down alongside it which draws attention to it. If you put these together, you can recognise the NASA logo on the left wing.

Bad quality photo, I know, the plane was turning over the ocean and I could barely see it, but look on the right side.

This was taken from the ground during the final landing attempt of the Endeavour. It's currently in a museum in LA and it was the last space shuttle in use; the US has discontinued the use of space shuttles. I count myself very fortunate for having seen this, even more so because my vacation was not at all planned to include this.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:38 AM by DarkOne »

Offline Bloopy

« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Bloopy, sure I did, they are far apart on the visible spectrum, the difference would be one in wave length 340 nm for red and 750nm for violet (if I recall correctly).

Nope, I'm telling you this part is still unsolved! You've got that they look like they belong together, but they're not because they're at opposite ends of the visible spectrum.

"A change from one to the other reveals how far away."
x_+

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2014, 03:38 PM »
 :-X I actually checked if the top left plane was the AF1, but the blue patterns are different
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2014, 06:02 PM »

Nope, I'm telling you this part is still unsolved! You've got that they look like they belong together, but they're not because they're at opposite ends of the visible spectrum.

"A change from one to the other reveals how far away."

If you just explained the last bit, you are saying almost exactly the same thing I did! That's like me saying you were wrong in your answer because it wasn't a nice space shuttle, but the last space shuttle :)

:-X I actually checked if the top left plane was the AF1, but the blue patterns are different

I was actually in Las Vegas on a day he was visiting there too, but I found about that too late to see him in person.

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06 PM »

Studying that atm - yes, do throw pointy sticks at me for not having found! - and violet is on the lower end (340nm of wave length, though? They teach us 400nm, but I wouldn't be surprised if they rounded it up) whereas red is on the 750nm end. I'd be bound to argue ultraviolet would be hotter than infrared, which itself normally should be colder than red.

« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I knew its the lift thing! Gimme points...

But really, i was looking at this plane and thought "is it another plane on top of it or just some weird shit plane ive never seen before? Ah screw it.."
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15 PM »

Happens when you know this, but don't use it, and then don't think when you regurgitate it ;D

Offline Bloopy

« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2014, 12:07 AM »
If you just explained the last bit, you are saying almost exactly the same thing I did! That's like me saying you were wrong in your answer because it wasn't a nice space shuttle, but the last space shuttle :)

But why would you actually have to have something change from violet to red light or vice versa, just for you to know how far away from each other they are in the spectrum? Can't you just look at the spectrum regardless? If it's that difficult, I could try wording it "A shift from one to the other reveals how far away."  :-\
x_+

Offline Rok

« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Redshift?
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz