Forums
April 30, 2024, 03:59 AM

Author Topic: New Keyboard  (Read 8879 times)

New Keyboard
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:42 AM »
I dont know much about keyboards but im wanting to buy a new one now and so have done a little bit of research.

Ive decided to go for either the Razer Lycosa or the Razor Tarantula.
I like the fact that the keys are more flat like laptop keys on these kbs, unlike the G15.

Im more drawn to the Lycosa because its much smaller than the Tarantula and has rubber keys unlike the usual plastic ones.

Thing is, ive heard that the Lycosa doesnt have key lock protection (antighosting) on all of the keys, only on wasd. The only game ill be playing with it is worms so I dont want to have any keylock!

Do any of you own these keyboards? Some feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

+ What keyboard do you use? How is it for you?
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: New Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:33 AM »
I use G11 and I love it. Everything that I need :)

I remember Unique told me a lot about Razor. You can wait for his reply at least :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline beer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:51 AM »
g15, was a waste of money

drama queen iz back

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I use G15 and I would want to sleep with it every night, I love it so much. It is just perfect.

Offline beer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:46 PM »
XDD

drama queen iz back

Offline Free

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I've had G11, G15 and currently I'm using Tarantula.

Tarantula owns G-series hands down, only minus is not having full backlight on it, just on the macro keys. It has definately faster response than G-series have, I don't fully like the arrow keys on Tarantula but you get used to them.

I've been looking into Lycosa recently, since it's supposed to have even more low-profile keys than Tarantula have, rubber keys and full backlight but yeah, it doesn't have full anti-ghosting, but I haven't tried it so if you get keylock when roping.

Get Tarantula, it's a really good keyboard.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58 PM »
I want to get the Lycosa for the reasons you stated, the tarantula I think is a bit too big for me.

Ive looked on the web but I still cant find a definitive answer about the keylock.

On some reviews it says that it hasn't got antighosting on all of the keys, it says it has them around the wasd cluster only although Im not sure if you can or cannot avoid keylock anywhere else... its annoying!

I dont understand why its so hard to get rid of keylock.. I mean my old crap compaq one didnt have any keylock... and especially for a "gaming" keyboard... why is it so hard to not have keylock on all the keys... isnt this ESSENTIAL for a gaming keyboard!??

Its frustrating cos I just wanna order one right now, the only thing thats stopping me is the issue of keylock on the Lycosa... man its annyoing not being able to know for sure if it will be an issue or not!

ah looks like i found my answer...

"Cons: if you're not a WASD player, BE AWARE you cannot use any combination of 2 arrow keys, and kp_0 (kp_ins) at the same time. for me this means i cant straif forward while crouched...... this is not a gaming keyboard, its a WASD player specific gaming keyboard, and its certainly not worth this much when 10$ boards work LIKE KEYBOARDS ARE SUPOSED TO WORK."

Looks like ill be getting a tarantula then
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:05 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:03 AM »
Ok done, bought a tarantula, it better be worth it free!
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 04:52 AM »
Congrats on your new keyboard ^^
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Now i have shitty kb with keylock and all keys doesnt work anymore.. then i tried my friend's Microsoft SideWinder X6 and now im gonna buy it.  Keys works awesome for roping and i didnt get keylock. Look for it too;)
"since most people tend to the order side, its my job to spread chaos" -peja

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Microsoft... I have enough of that. :D

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08 PM »
been using my tarantula for one day now, and I love it!

The keys really respond well when roping, I feel I have much better arrow control now, although it'll take alot more time to fully adjust to the new interface.
worm and learn

Offline beer

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14 PM »
cool! its razer tarantula? i should buy one

drama queen iz back

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 10:30 AM »
if u have enough money and u buy kb in thinking about worms, BUY RAZER TARANTULA... there is no better keyboard, it is the best one, for roping too. It works great with winamp also, and it is only one keyboard where u can press like 8 keys or more and all keys are working, no keylock and other shits.. And one of the most important thing about this keyboard, it has 1ms time reaction, other keyboards has 5 ms, so for roping it is just dream.. how many times u press space and it worked a bit later as u pressed it or it did not work? Unfortunatelly i dont have tarantula anymore but i must say it is the best keyboard on all world. Maybe it dont have stupid lcd like in g15, but what then ? why the hell is need stupid small lcd in keaybord..  g15 is MUCH worse than razer and it is same moneys, so if u think g15/razer  take razer!

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I have G15 and KinslayeR is right about one thing, I don't really use that LCD screen, sometimes, when I am playing I watch the clock on it and I also see if I get emails... No wait, then I do use it's functionality after all. :D
By the way, I cannot imagine anyone sensing 4ms difference. It is almost impossible to hit faster then 0.1 sec with your fingers, 4ms is just so fast one cannot sense it.