Forums
April 30, 2024, 12:53 AM

Author Topic: Touch typing  (Read 816 times)

Offline Sound

• NoLimitFreestyler

• Finland Finland
  • sK sK clan

• nlF is a Freestyle/fun-loving attitude ^^
    • View Profile
Touch typing
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Hi!

I would like to know if there are any Wormers who touch type. As I know there are some programmers here, including Statik and MonkeyIsland, and I'd like to know whether most programmers use touch typing or not. My guess is yes. Do programmers essentially need to learn how to touch type to be productive? It helps for sure. Also, I've seen, for example, Komito's and KRD's long posts, so I'd like to know if they touch type.

Touch typing is about using your fingers' muscle memory to write by touch, without looking at the keyboard.

I just recently started practicing this using TypingWeb, a free online typing tutor and so far I'm doing quite well. ;) I have a programming course starting this January in University of Applied Sciences (I study Information and Communications Technology), so I thought that learning to touch type would be good to me. ;)

I like it because it makes me type faster and it feels nice as well when you're able to type faster than before using all your fingers without looking at the keyboard. ^^ So it's even helpful in low light conditions and stuff. I remember reading TheWalrus throwing a deluxe keyboard away a while ago because he couldn't see the inscriptions on the keys and it was hard to type for him. Again, I'd encourage you all to learn touch typing. It can be fun! ^^

I'd also like to know how much better mechanical keyboards (as I would probably by one one day) are for touch typing, compared to standard (membrane, dome-switch) keyboards and laptop scissor-switch keyboards, but that could be discussed in a Keyboard-related thread anyway, I guess.

(P.S. About programming tutorials, I found that Codecademy is a good place to start with! ^^)
sK is a clan based on similar principles to nlF, while nlF itself is a Freestyle/fun-loving attitude ^^

Offline Abnaxus

Re: Touch typing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Hey.

You definatly don't need to to code (what's the relation ?  :o ).

Anyway, to type without looking, it's just coming alone by typing for long.
One day, you'll just be typing and then realize you weren't looking at the keyboard.
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I don't use "touch typing" the way it is supposed to be used. I mean I don't place my fingers on F and J, but I rarely look at kb. Also I don't understand how can it be related to mechanical keyboards :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline darKz

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Been learning that subconsciously ever since I started using the internet basically. Completely acquired it somewhere in 2003-2004, using my own technique now even though I learned doing it the "proper" way too (pretty recently, 2010-2011ish).
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:46 PM »
after 7 years of programming Im typing with ten fingers without looking at kb on both russian and english language, but I always keep fingers on W/A/S/D because of my gaming expirience xD

the only thing its really useful for, I never miss moves of my opponents in worms, cuz I can type while watching monitor ;D

Offline Rogi

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13 PM »
lol!!! You all typing with hands ? strange...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Calm the hell down.|

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:42 PM »
I kind of do it, I have to look 1st because my index fingers are my main fingers for typing, although I use all fingers it's based around the 2 index fingers if you know what I mean?

But as soon as i've typed the 1st letter my eyes go straight to the monitor and I don't look at the keyboard, I sort of got used to this over the years by playing WA and watching TV at the same time typing things like "Ah man wtf" "ah stupid lag" etc...

Dunno if that helps... I think the best advice with this kind of skill is practise I guess...

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Hi sound, I touch type, never used any kind of typing tutorial or related, imo I don't think they help at all, I've been using internet since 2009 and was something too fast, and soon I realized that I could type without looking at kb, it's all about time. XD
I just made a test, I can 108 WPM (first try), position 30 of 8960.
Good luck to you, cyaa.

http://www.10fastfingers.com/

Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Husk

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:30 PM »
there's many fun games to improve ur typing =)))))