Forums
April 26, 2024, 09:33 PM

Author Topic: Abnormal Scheme Promotion  (Read 2195 times)

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
Abnormal Scheme Promotion
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:49 PM »
Just to show you guys how awesome Abnormal scheme can be, here's a perfect game from darkmaul which took him... 2 turns to finish. Main idea behind the scheme is too kill all your worms as quickly as possible.

There are actually more moves used exclusively in abnormal and the scheme has more depth to it than we initially thought. It can be enjoyed both as a funner and a competetive scheme. (when hosted bo3-5 with decent maps). My plan is to host a public cup to promote it once we get past the beta-testing that is happening right now, making sure everything is signed and sealed.

Oh, and here's the scheme page with more details: https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-920/

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:50 PM by van »

Offline Hussar

Re: Abnormal Scheme Promotion
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54 PM »
wohoho that was what am call MAGIC ! vn  :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:38 PM by Berria »

Offline Prankster

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:03 AM »
Hahaha, awesome! :)

Offline Peja

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47 AM »
omfg daddy that was sick  :-*

Offline Anubis

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Looks interesting!

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:25 AM »
I think this is a very nice scheme. But also it is not tuned. Probably you gotta play a lot to see what weapons to limit/remove/add.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Free

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:28 AM »
Damn, can't watch this with my old patch, but there was similar "scheme" hosted by some NNN guy, where you used Inter scheme but the idea was the same. It was really funny and very tactical at the same time. One of those "why didn't I think of this" out-of-the-box ideas.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Its Intermediate scheme, nothing more nothing less. I dont see any imbalances other than initial map placement that can be worked out by proper choice, like only fairly open islands (that is not too many closed spots but still keeping the complexity) on a best of 5 (or even best of 7) match. Gameplay is sometimes questionable, too easy kills on 1 side and very hard or impossible to catch up on the other side, but i dont think its a flaw comparing to other schemes, especialy in Free League. Often it forces you to be very creative (see darkmaul's first turn) and brings some completely new plays. I love suicide gaming and having like 30+ matches already i was never bored, i was only more and more hooked xd

And yes Free, i think it was Bytor that first brought up the idea, it was mentioned on NNN forums but i cant find the topic/posts anymore.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:18 AM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Yeah worm placement is pretty decisive, I don't think manual teleport would do any good either, but this is a scheme I could see myself enjoying :)

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Perhaps having 16 worms instead of 8 makes it less luck based with regards to placement :)
It would also make it possible to have different super weapons than cows, since cow delays are far lower than that of other superweapons.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Perhaps having 16 worms instead of 8 makes it less luck based with regards to placement :)

Agreed.

It would also make it possible to have different super weapons than cows, since cow delays are far lower than that of other superweapons.

Set cows then! :)

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Very cool scheme. I'd love to see it one day in classic league.
PS: yes this was just to get the "tus has to be pure" people come to spam here how a pure classic league shouldn't include very cool scheme such as this one.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33 PM »
with 32 worms on map there is a very huge chance autoplacement wont work, so maps gotta be very complex every game.
Isnt the advantage of the first player too big?

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Impo, that's why there are round.Since games are pretty shorts, maybe adding more than 3 rounds would help in determining who in the end is the best.

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Thanks fada, that means a lot!

Impo, 16 worms per player doesn't work simply because the arsenal is shared and the games become very stale at the end. We've tested every possible combination and 8 vs 8 seems like the most optimal and fun one. Also keeping games short like that makes bo5 last less than one t17 game. Yup.

Starting advantage gets nicely countered by the round system, the biggest flaw so far is the initial placement in some of the games - just like in inter, although on a slightly bigger scale. (doesn't happen too often when hosted with proper maps, but it still happens). For example in 5 rounds I played vs d1 in our cup, we had 1 game that was decided purely by the placement and 4 remaining, close games that could have been won by both players.

Me and casso will be hosting the cup soon, we're hoping to get 16 players at least. :)

EDIT: https://www.tus-wa.com/cups/cup-552/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:20 AM by van »