Forums
April 28, 2024, 03:51 AM

Author Topic: Destructible Roper Maps  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Rabbzz

Destructible Roper Maps
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Is there any reason why we don't play on destructible roper maps? I've played a few games and its different and fun. I know worms 2 didn't have that option but i was just wondering why it was changed?

Offline Husk

Re: Destructible Roper Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24 AM »
O_o also why is rope knocking illegal in elite and t17... makes people hide in absurd hides |x in any other game mode u wudn't hide such places because u would get pwned with a rope knock

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:52 AM »
Anyone have anything to say? I enjoyed the games crate rape isn't bad when the are short cuts through out the map :D. And if you don't like your opponent's hide just blow it up.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:31 AM »
I do think it's a valid variant, especially in funners and FFA games. But apart from the WA community's general distaste for change, there are a few problems with playing league Roper on destructible maps that probably contribute to it rarely happening in practice.

For one thing, the map getting simpler and simpler as the game progresses can result in a pretty anticlimactic finish to the longer, more even matches between skilled ropers. Once things get to the point where each player can easily pick up a crate and attack every turn, there's very little hope of coming back for the one who got to the endgame with less health for whatever reason (sometimes through no fault of their own, simply because they didn't get first turn). The way W2 players tackled this problem was to start playing on progressively more complex (and especially higher) maps, which somewhat delayed the point at which the map got to that stage as well as resulted in more opportunity for mistakes that ended games early. But I'm not sure we'd really want to go back to that, from what I remember of those Zillian maps, there was a huge discrepancy between easy and hard crates on them, making it feel like the luck factor of where they landed played a big role in determining the winner. Another related thing to note here is that the W2 Roper scheme punished falling and rewarded good drops that resulted in fall damage rather EXTREMELY, which tended to keep the games shorter and so again made it less likely for the map to get too simple because it was destructible.

In any case, I wouldn't see too much wrong with making the destructible terrain variant of Roper an accepted alternative to whatever the standard Roper scheme currently is in community leagues. The skill set required for playing either variant would in large part be exactly the same, so splitting the Roper player base into two separate camps seems unlikely; we wouldn't end up with one best destructible Roper player and one best indestructible Roper player or anything horrible like that. If the league in question isn't feeling too experimental, have it so that both players have to agree to the alternative scheme before the game starts. If it is feeling experimental, just leave it to the player whose pick it is to decide.

That's my €0.02.

Offline avirex

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59 PM »
when worms armageddon was first born there was a large group of newbs (being that it was a new game)

they all discovered roping, and thought it was a grand scheme!!! being that they were new to the rope, the scheme, and the game. 15 second turns and 10 second retreat was accepted!!

the worms2 players laughed at such a newb scheme, and stayed on w2 servers, every so often coming back to w:a to see how the newbs are progressing, and give them an ass kicking.

15 years later, the w:a newbs are now pros!! but still with the same roping scheme that w2'ers can not help but laugh at! a combined 25 seconds of turn time, as opposed to 17 seconds on w2.

The moral of this story is, w:a will never change.... ANYTHING.

Offline Husk

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:14 PM »
more turn time means newb? does that mean hysteria is more pro scheme than roper?

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I thought there was more turn time cause w.a roping is slower

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Yeah, that's the part Avi likes to leave out at story time. :D

W2 players refused to switch to WA when it was released because of the modified (I would argue slightly more complex here on WA) rope physics, so it's no wonder their customary settings didn't get passed on. Independent from them, though, there were plenty of WA players who toyed around with lower turn times in Roper anyway, usually between 12 and 14 seconds. I remember seeing as low as 10 second schemes, but obviously the trend died out eventually, in favour of simply playing the scheme on harder maps. The maps have definitely come down in complexity in recent years at least a little, though, so I don't think this is an irrelevant discussion to be having. It's kind of related to the initial subject of the thread anyway.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 03:33 PM »

W2 players refused to switch to WA when it was released because of the modified (I would argue slightly more complex here on WA) rope physics, so it's no wonder their customary settings didn't get passed on. Independent from them, though, there were plenty of WA players who toyed around with lower turn times in Roper anyway, usually between 12 and 14 seconds. I remember seeing as low as 10 second schemes, but obviously the trend died out eventually, in favour of simply playing the scheme on harder maps. The maps have definitely come down in complexity in recent years at least a little, though, so I don't think this is an irrelevant discussion to be having. It's kind of related to the initial subject of the thread anyway.
vahagn posted downloads for 12, 13, 14, and 15 sec roper schemes on the sfx clansite (before you could edit turn time in the in-game editor, pre-beta).  I remember trying 13 secs a few times, but people mostly complained about the reduced turn time. 

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Have you ever used Indimask Rabbit ? makes someparts destructable and some parts indestructable.

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline theredi

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:59 PM »
yeah i remember 10 sec scheme :D it was good to practice on coz when u switched back to 15 sec it seemed to be so long xD

Offline avirex

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 07:10 PM »

lol KRD... that was fun ;)

but really, w:a has 3 second  more turn time because its has slower rope physics then w2???

13 second turns are much more then enough... and whats the excuse for double the retreat time?? thats just ridiculous.  there is no reason you should be able to drop a mine, and hang around twiddling your thumbs until it explodes, then still have another 2 seconds to hide after that!! lol

but... i know.. i know.. no one wants to hear me rant about w2 roping, and i also know nothing will change about w:a roping... i try my best to accept that.

Offline theredi

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 07:54 AM »
ban the mines from roper!!! that would be nice