Forums
May 01, 2024, 11:50 AM

Author Topic: Gravity / Speed MESSED UP  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Morus

Gravity / Speed MESSED UP
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:14 AM »

[TLDR: skip to words in bold]

Can anyone explain me why is normal gravity a little weak in some schemes hosted by TUS-WA website compared to HostingBuddy schemes?

It may seem almost unnoticeable. But it makes big difference while roping.

First of all, I'M NOT A NOOB!

I first noticed this years ago, when playing roper scheme for the first time and then every once in a while.
As I was a noob, I just thought I wasn't good enough to play roper and that maybe I wasn't focused enough.
Now, however, my roping skills are much better. I play rope race and WxW a lot in HostingBuddy schemes.
So I finally decided to play tus leagues then. But soon I noticed how roping was messed up in tus schemes
(Roper and Shopper, so far, but not WxW Shopper).

These are the issues:

1- The roping becomes "weak". It takes more strengh (or time) to build movement and speed during roping.

2- At same time, roping gets more "inertia". The movement and speed already built in roping last much longer than usual.

It took me a few game losses to figure out that only a lower gravity would reproduce both issues.
Low gravity makes movement slower, requiring then more time (issue 1) while also makes them last longer (issue 2).
It seems like normal gravity is set up around 70-90% of that in HostingBuddy schemes.

I deactivated RUBBERWORM to compare schemes from tus (ROPER) and HostingBuddy(SHOPPER).
But the roping behaviour still feels different for each one as explained above.
You can easily feel the difference when trying to achieve max speed.
You'll notice how hard it is to gain speed in tus schemes.
It actually seems like there is a lower frame rate or lower max speed limiter.
Also, in tus scheme, you may notice differences when you hit a wall (you bounce much longer in lower gravity) or flying (you fly much longer too).

Unfortunately I can't attach the game files used in my tests (attachment restricted to < 1024 KB).
However you can get the schemes directly from tus and HostingBuddy to test them by yourselves:

https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-3/

Hosting Buddy:
* [HostingBuddy] Shopper (extracted from game).wsc (0.29 kB - downloaded 22 times.)

My game version is 3.7.2.1 - Steam.

Can you guys explain/fix this?
Which scheme should I play from now on?
For the record, I like the higher speeds from HostingBuddy schemes.
But I wanted to play tus leagues as well.

So now I'm going to play leagues with my own fixed schemes (modified HB scheme).
Basically I overwrite HB schemes in such a way reproducing all settings from tus schemes - and yet the speed doesn't change. You may donwload fixed versions here:

https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-2020/
https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-2021/

Offline spleen17

Re: Gravity / Speed MESSED UP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:49 AM »
There is no reason for the gravity to be different in tus schemes.

Which version are you playing on? Some people say there is a slight difference in rope feel between 3.7.2.1 and 3.6.x.x. If you play with Asbest make sure he is using the latest update as there are a few cheat programs that only work on 3.6, and he is known to use such programs.

Before the game starts you should see green text in the lobby saying "Game will emulate to 3.6.x.x due to the following player..."

Offline Peja

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15 AM »
My game version is 3.7.2.1 - Steam.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline Morus

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49 AM »
Thanks for info.

I don't recall seeing the emulation message.

But it can't be that since my tests were made with me alone, changing only the schemes between each game.

Unfortunately I picked a Big RR map for the tests, which made them unsuitable to attach here.

But anyone can test this easily. Just put the schemes on and try reaching max speed.

I recommend big/large RR maps for this.

But I agree with you that it may be a version issue. I mean, I'm a developer.
I've been thinking that old schemes could have been generated with a header data in file triggering weird behaviour or even version emulation.

I'm sure there is a relevant difference in rope behaviour caused by those scheme files.
Maybe it happens only in my computer for some reason? I need to have someone else test it.

FYI, now I would like to add one more separate issue from observations I made since years ago that could be related to the case.
This one I'm not so sure and I don't even care actually, but it may have (or not) something to do with above issue.
I've had this little tiny impression that gravity is not reset to its exactly default value after the effect of Low Gravity tool comes to an end.
For the rest of the entire game, it seems like "normal" gravity becomes a little lower than usual.
Again, this becomes more noticeable while using rope, but it doesn't bother me too much - maybe because there isn't LG in WxW and RR.

As a developer, I keep thinking that someone wrote duplicated source code with different gravity values somewhere.
And if that's really the case, it could also (or not) explain the messed gravity in tus schemes.

If anyone ever investigate these issues, please let me know.
Thanks.

Offline SiD

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Games hosted with HostingBuddy currently emulate to 3.6.31.0 (you can see this by extracting the log from the replay).

It's more likely this that's causing the issues you're perceiving than the different schemes.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:39 PM »
@Morus,

Have you tried it on normal maps? Try it on BIT WxW maps and let us know if it feels any different.

Here's a list of WxW bit maps: (copy-paste the whole url, forum BBC has trouble with brackets inside urls)
https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/WxW/?;maptype[]=bit
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:19 PM »
As others have mentioned, it's probably not the gravity. There is no game setting to control gravity that I'm aware of (except the Low Gravity utility). A related setting would be a TestStuff mode, which "doubles the maximum speed for roping and jetpacking, and abolishes the speed limit for projectile motion". It's also possible a WormKit module (RubberWorm) is interpreting some scheme settings in an odd way.

I suggest performing a series of blind experiments to confirm that the effect is not placebo. You mentioned you're a developer; you could write a script to randomly set up a game setting which, according to your hypothesis, should or should not manifest the effect. You should not know which one it is until after you've determined it for yourself by testing the selected game setting. If you can consistently guess the randomly-selected setting, then you may be on to something.

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Here's a list of WxW bit maps: (copy-paste the whole url, forum BBC has trouble with brackets inside urls)
There's always percent-encoding: https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/WxW/?;maptype%5B%5D=bit

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 07:28 PM »
https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/WxW/?;maptype[]=bit

Alternatively, you can use BBCode's url

[LINK]

Code: [Select]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/zsnllex]LINK[/url]
EDIT1: well, that ain't a thing, so tinyurl is always an option

Onto this subject, it may be just an illusion for you. You may think that the rope is progressively slower because of your sole performance. Think of it as a Roper game, if you are bad, you're not gonna get the objective. Some goes here. If that would be really gravity, then I would blame it at a guy that doesn't know RubberWorm and put crates to the Mail Strike.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:37 PM by TheMadCharles »

Offline Morus

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 06:00 AM »

Thank you all for support and the good ideas.

Although I have reasons to believe no one found out the solution yet, I'll test all suggestions you guys made and get back to each of you.

By now I gotta say that I'm pretty sure the Low Gravity MIGHT trigger the same issue I've seen on tus schemes.
I was playing a new scheme based on HostingBuddy's shopper when I noticed rope was terribly slower after I used LG in previous turn.
However, even though I tried hard to replicate the issue, the rope speed (or gravity) seemed to reset to random values in a range after each time I used LG.

This is very very weird. It has to be a bug in code during gravity reset AND passed along through scheme files.
If that's correct, maybe I could be able to catch the exact bit changes in HB's scheme file.
If not, I hope anyone can debug variable values if I prove something is going on.
I'll prepare all tests with small maps to upload here during the week.

Offline spleen17

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 12:23 PM »

By now I gotta say that I'm pretty sure the Low Gravity MIGHT trigger the same issue I've seen on tus schemes.
I was playing a new scheme based on HostingBuddy's shopper when I noticed rope was terribly slower after I used LG in previous turn.
However, even though I tried hard to replicate the issue, the rope speed (or gravity) seemed to reset to random values in a range after each time I used LG.

Do you have any numeric proof of this or is it all based on 'feel'? I think it is possible you are imagining it.

Also as SiD said, HB games are hosted on older version.

Offline Morus

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Do you have any numeric proof of this or is it all based on 'feel'? I think it is possible you are imagining it.

Also as SiD said, HB games are hosted on older version.

All my tests I mentioned before were hosted in my computer using the corresponding scheme files downloaded/extracted from tus/HB.
I even turned off modules (rubberworm) in worms advanced configuration.
If this is a version issue, then schemes would have to force specific version emulation. That's one theory I'm not sure of.

For now it's based on 'feel' only. So far my test for max-speed only reproduces that 'feel' of mine.
But I think it is possible to happen only in my computer. That's why I asked people to test it too.

Don't worry. I'll try to bring 'numbers' and 'evidences' before answering again.

Offline barman

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 12:04 PM »
For now it's based on 'feel' only. So far my test for max-speed only reproduces that 'feel' of mine.
But I think it is possible to happen only in my computer. That's why I asked people to test it too.

Don't worry. I'll try to bring 'numbers' and 'evidences' before answering again.
Start a game, drop a worm from a fixed height, check in replay how many frames it takes to hit the ground.
Standard gravity in WA is 600 pixels per second squared.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best