Forums
May 10, 2024, 06:55 AM

Author Topic: A karma topic again !  (Read 2007 times)

A karma topic again !
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Hello guys,
I was thinking about karma and how little significance it has on this site (watch someone like komo for example that has so many + and -). Also, a main flaw of it is that you don't have to justify of a + or a -.
Anyways, what can we do about karma then ?
To be honest not much I believe, the whole system is not appropriate I'd say for this game.
So what can be done then ?
I personally see two alternative that has been proven to work and could have a nice value in TUS website:
You get a trophy  when you achieve something: Post one message in the forum, win a TUS single league, report a bug to moderator, suggest a feature to the website.
Actually reputation score use trophy as badges and enhance it with other features such as a general score. Think of it like stackoverflow or the super smash bross trophies or xbox live score.
Why would it be good for tus website ?
Mainly because badges has difficulties (elite,gold,silver,bronze) combined with a global score that would make people want to achieve them and bring people to maybe calm down a little on the forum but also new people that could achieve badges of general value for wa.
People often complained how hard it was for a user to know who achieve what (who won a lot of TUS single, who won lot of cups....). Now I provide you an already proven way of doing it. We could say for example that someone who goes to PO get a bronze badge, someone who win a season get a silver one and someone that win 2+ PO earn a gold one and someone that win 5+ earn a elite badge. Every time anyone post a topic you can see next to his nickname his general score and how many badges he got.
This could enhance the good player to want to play more in order to get badges but also a good behavior if it was rewarded such as giving special badge to special fair player that showed an act of fair play or the player that earned the annual voted fairest player award.
Moreover, we could add forum behavior badge but also offline game badge such as mission badges: you are currently the one that completed mission X the quickest.
To be honest, I am quite excited about it but it has to be unanimous because this require lot of work for MI if he wants to implement it as well as finding the badge and putting them in the good category (elite,gold...).
Note: This idea came from stackoverflow and xboxlive when I saw numbers of people helping other/achieve things only to get a high score and badges.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:10 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline TheKomodo

Re: A karma topic again !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Karma thing doesn't bother me now cuz I don't have it activated, I do however find it amusing so many people care so much about what other people think about them, the world gone crazy lol, this website is sometimes like being back at highschool again, and you have all your groups of people.

I don't really have a problem with the Karma thing at the moment, no one really talks about it in public, and you can disable it if you don't give a flying f@#! what people think about you :)

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:54 AM »
I agree with Komo, karma is useless. Though I like the idea of having message/post rating, when you can +1/-1 a single forum post, but I'm not sure it will be useful for our community :D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:03 AM »
It would be nice if people took it seriously, too many people would just be like "I don't like him, I will -1 him on everything he does" or "I must brown-nose this guy, +1 everything he does", or even worse, you get a group of people *COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGHfosCOUGH COUGH* going around giving people large amounts of -1 together lol  :D

If people used Karma sensibly like mature adults, it would be great, but they don't and never ever will so i'll always have it disabled...

And I agree with Statik, if what he says by "but I'm not sure it will be useful for our community" is that, +1/-1 message posts would more than likely be abused as much as Karma was...

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:20 AM »
I would do this: you can give + or - to a member, but only 5 times or so. And, you can change your +'s or -'s whenever you like.
Example. Member with nickname "Buddy" have 0/0 karma, member with nickname "Pal" gives him +5 instantly (coz he likes him so much  ::) ). But something went wrong in their relationship, so Pal gives him not 5/0, but 4/-1, or 3/-2, or 2/-3, or 1/-4, or 0/-5 oO

And, reputation can be not in format '+n/-n', but in 'n'. I mean that giving + or - will just increase or decrease a reputation: +1000 or -1000 xD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:28 AM by Xrayez »

Offline Maciej

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:44 AM »
Who really cares about karma? It's given only because you like or you dislike someone. You can't change it, because we are too small community.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I suggested a deep achievement system like this

about 2 or 3 years ago.

it was aimed at fun, not at ranking people's good will, though.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I agree with Komo, karma is useless. Though I like the idea of having message/post rating, when you can +1/-1 a single forum post, but I'm not sure it will be useful for our community :D

100%

Offline SPW

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:37 AM »
fb system would be good. just "like" but no smites.

Offline darKz

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I made a suggestion about the karma system a few months ago, it went almost unnoticed. :(
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I think that the karma system should be changed in these ways, first things first only the sum should be show..Second thing second every time you smite/applaud someone you should have to write a text to justify it..`That would make for some absolutely fantastic drama around this site :D

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Please stay on topic.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Karma thing doesn't bother me now cuz I don't have it activated, I do however find it amusing so many people care so much about what other people think about them, the world gone crazy lol, this website is sometimes like being back at highschool again, and you have all your groups of people.

I don't really have a problem with the Karma thing at the moment, no one really talks about it in public, and you can disable it if you don't give a flying f@#! what people think about you :)

Komo, the question is not whether we got a problem with karma or not but whether it is in anyway useful or not. And the way it is right now I'm afraid it is pretty useless. For instance, I've been inactive for something like 4 days and I got smited. Not that I care because I know who does it every 12 hours and I find it quite funny but this just does have no meaning at all.

Well, the idea i bought here is not about +1/-1. Unlike stackoverflow I don't believe it is possible to do it in a game forum where people actually post here without question. My alternative is to take some of it (the badge/achievement part) and adapt it to the worms world/tus league.

It would be nice if people took it seriously, too many people would just be like "I don't like him, I will -1 him on everything he does" or "I must brown-nose this guy, +1 everything he does", or even worse, you get a group of people *COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGHfosCOUGH COUGH* going around giving people large amounts of -1 together lol  :D

If people used Karma sensibly like mature adults, it would be great, but they don't and never ever will so i'll always have it disabled...

And I agree with Statik, if what he says by "but I'm not sure it will be useful for our community" is that, +1/-1 message posts would more than likely be abused as much as Karma was...

Same post here. Please read my suggestion more carefully. We all agree karma is useless my point is not to prove it but to give an alternative that I believe is really good. Let's discuss this matter.

I would do this: you can give + or - to a member, but only 5 times or so. And, you can change your +'s or -'s whenever you like.
Example. Member with nickname "Buddy" have 0/0 karma, member with nickname "Pal" gives him +5 instantly (coz he likes him so much  ::) ). But something went wrong in their relationship, so Pal gives him not 5/0, but 4/-1, or 3/-2, or 2/-3, or 1/-4, or 0/-5 oO

And, reputation can be not in format '+n/-n', but in 'n'. I mean that giving + or - will just increase or decrease a reputation: +1000 or -1000 xD

Well, I don't like the whole popularity contest. What's that for ? And that's the main flow of the current karma system I believe.

I suggested a deep achievement system like this

about 2 or 3 years ago.

it was aimed at fun, not at ranking people's good will, though.

Well, I believe we could combine both and still ranking people also on goodwill since it promote "doing" and I believe we need that.

I made a suggestion about the karma system a few months ago, it went almost unnoticed. :(

Yes, I read it when you spoke about it and to be honest I thought that it was a better alternative than karma but was not if I can say "complete". What I am suggesting could also have the +1 option which would unlock bronze badges if you get +5 like on one post +10 => silver or other..
The main idea behind this is to promote good will but also league achievement and have a quick and simple way to see someone "rating".

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:54 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline darKz

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I like your suggestion. Not sure about one thing though, it needs a way to be safe from abuse. Maybe like, every user is able to +1 a certain amount of posts over a certain period of time, for example 10 per week so it doesn't get just spammed like karma does.. There should also be a list with best posts this week/month/ever somewhere. And posts should contain sort of a spoiler tag thingy which can be clicked to expand and see who +1ed the post. :)
Just my thoughts on it.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Well thing is if you look into stackoverflow badges the +1 part is minimal.
What I mean is that most of the achievement are other things than +1 post which even if it doesn't solve everything will give you a reputation score that can't be so much abused. Plus your suggestion is good and should definitely be here.
Let me give you a small list of possible badges that I thought about so it might look clearer for you:
Note that this is a sample example there is much more possible.

Name => Requirement => point => unlockement

elite:
Everyone Like you => Get 10000 like overall or more => +10k
My idea is loved by everyone => Get 500 like or more on one post => +7k
Best single player ever => Win 10 tus single league or more => +40k
Best cup player ever => Win 500 cup or more => +30k
Best free player ever => Win 10 tus single free league or more => +30k
I was in the best clan ever => Be a member of a clan while it won 10 tus clanner league => +20k
I maintain this game => Develop new update (CS/DC at the moment) => +15k
I am the biggest spammer => Post more than 20000 => +3k
I have changed tus => Be the source of 20 feature of TUS by suggesting them => +8k
I was there first => Being register since the first day of the creation of TUS => +5k
24/24 robot => Being online for 2 year consecutively => +2k
I am TUS god => achieve all possible achievement => +999k
I have created tus => I am tus funder => +15k
Replay guru => I have rated over 1000 replays => +2k => rate your own replay
Best challenger ever =>  Win 500 challenge or more => +40k
Fix me please => Report more than 30 wa or tus bug in tech support. => +10k
Crazy map maker => One of my map has been played more than 10k time in league game => +40k
I am hysteria => I created the hysteria scheme  => +30k
I am elite => I created the elite scheme  => +30k
I am roper => I created the roper scheme  => +30k
I am ttrr=> I created the ttrr scheme  => +30k
Tus angel => I donated more than 500 bucks => +10k => be able to change your tus nickname color whenever you want
My grandmother play more than you => I have played more than 10k games => +20k
I am a bot => I have played more than 2k game with a winning ratio of 85% or more => +50k
I am extraordinary fair => I accomplished an astonished fair act that all the community recognize => +20k
I am still here => I have been banned more than 10 time but I am still here =>-90k
Everyone acknowledge me => I have won more than 25 yearly voted award => +35k
winning winning winning no one can stop me => I had a winning streak of 200 or more => +45k

Gold:
Same as elite but with less point and requirement
I hax the game => I am PX funder/other important hack to the game may apply also => +6k
I am kaos => I created the kaos scheme => +5k
I am abnormal => I created the abnormal scheme => +5k
Secret Trophy => No one really knows how to get it, but if you do, you are awesome. => +3k
My clan is gold => Create a clan that is 5 years old => +2k

Silver:
Voted best racer => I have won one yearly award as best rope racer player => +2k
I am the best in mission X => I have completed one offline mission the quickest possible => +3k
Brainmaster => I was the one suggesting how to do a offline mission the quickest possible => +1k
I created a clan => Create a clan that stayed for more than 2 years => +500
Loyal soldat => Stay in the same clan for 3 years => +600

Bronze:
De-virginised => You posted a message somewhere and now you are not a leach :) => +1 => Can download replay and map
Somebody Likes You => Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more! => +2
Quite Rare => It appears you are a girl, that is rare around here, enjoy 5 points. Or you could be a male wanting to be a girl 0_o => +5
Happy Birthday => As a way of saying happyB, enjoy 8 points from us :) => +8
100% Completed Profile => you have completed 100% of your profile => +10
Chat here I come => I have a reputation score of 50 or more => Can post in the shoutbox => +2
I shared some picture => Shared a picture in the shoutbox => +2
I uploaded a file => Upload a file => +10
I uploaded a scheme => Upload a scheme => +10
I uploaded a map => Upload a map => +10
I downloaded a file => download a file => +2
I downloaded a replay => downloaded a replay => +2
I rated a game => rate a game => +5
I am a spy => go to spy people page => +3
I know how to complaint => I made a complaint according to the complaint framework => +40
I hosted a cup => host a cup => +100
I joined a clan => join a clan => +40
Someone visited my profile => someone visit your profile => +1

I believe you got the idea. There certainly could be more badge and funner one and maybe the number of point I gave is not accurate or the requirement but I believe that you have the global idea.
I also believe you can see that it promote people to actually doing good things.
That is why I did not suggest a kind of "bad" badge type like (tomatoes) that you'd earn for things like: I have been muted => -100, I have been involved with more than 10 complaints...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:57 AM by zippeurfou »