Forums
May 02, 2024, 07:25 AM

Poll

Do you want to play 2v2 league described below?

Yes
35 (64.8%)
No
17 (31.5%)
I have a better idea
2 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: New 2v2 league  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Senator

Re: New 2v2 league
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06 AM »
What's the point of having a team league if at the end of each season, you have a single player at the top of the standings, not a team? I feel all that would do is call for speculation and investigation as to why that particular player ended up #1 and not someone else ("He got randomly paired with Mablak and Random00 in 50% of his games, that vile cheater!") rather than stand to bring any sort of prestige, and hence motivation for the future, to the winner.

Well, I don't see this would be any bigger problem than with TUS singles. In singles league you can avoid certain players and look for a good match-up to get a better ranking. We might see a player ranked #1 with no matches against players ranked #2 or #3. Can you call such player the best then?

We see players ranked individually in many other team games (Counter-Strike GO, Heroes of Newerth to name a few). Clan league is kind of old thing. Even in tennis players have individual doubles ranking. It works in other games so why not in worms?

As a player, you'd have little to no control over who you partners are and would end up having to try and game the system (queue for matches together at just the right times) to get to the top with your preferred team mate, again ridding the standings at the end of the season of any real meaning and prestige.

You can't really game the system. Even if you look for a match always the same time with your friend(s), you might still end up in different matches or playing against each other. We could also have limits for playing only X number of games with same partner and/or against same opponents just like in TUS singles.

If the whole point is to simply find games for people who like to play 2v2 but have trouble organising clanners/funners, I imagine a much simpler implementation (more than likely via Tomi's snooper or a simple IRC bot) would do the trick just fine. The way I see it, there's really no real need for an entire league, here on TUS or elsewhere, unless the primary concern is to find the best player/team at X, where X is something that isn't covered by a different league or competition...

We need a league table because otherwise the matches would be just funners. We are finding the best player (not absolute) at 2v2. Now we have league tables to find the best player in 1v1 and the best clan. I would be ok with having shared league table for 1v1 and 2v2 matches. We would just then have different rules for 1v1 and 2v2 so the matches wouldn't be really comparable (in 1v1 you could select your opponent but not in 2v2). I don't see how this could work with Tomi's snooper or a simple IRC bot. We need a system to arrange random matches and penalty points for not agreeing to play. Otherwise we would have no matches because players would look just for a perfect match-up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:39 AM by Senator »

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37 AM »
What's the point of having a team league if at the end of each season, you have a single player at the top of the standings, not a team? I feel all that would do is call for speculation and investigation as to why that particular player ended up #1 and not someone else ("He got randomly paired with Mablak and Random00 in 50% of his games, that vile cheater!") rather than stand to bring any sort of prestige, and hence motivation for the future, to the winner.

Well, I don't see this would be any bigger problem than with TUS singles. In singles league you can avoid certain players and look for a good match up to get a better ranking. We might see a player ranked #1 with no matches against players ranked #2 or #3. Can you call such player the best then?

You can't and that's exactly my point. This is why in practice, prestige in WA comes primarily from winning playoffs, not finishing at the top of the standings at the end of each season. In a 2v2 league with individual standings, what can you really do to address the problem as well as holding a playoff at the end of each season addresses it in 1v1 and clan leagues?

We see players ranked individually in many other team games (Counter-Strike GO, Heroes of Newerth to name a few). Clan league is kind of old thing. Even in tennis players have individual doubles ranking. It works in other games so why not in worms?

Those big competitive team games only (mis)use Elo-like rating systems to aid their matchmaking, as a way to guarantee "even" matches where each team has as close to a 50% chance of winning as possible (in theory). They do it to keep the game fun (in both ranked and casual, unranked play) and get away with it because of the sheer mass of games that get played between their millions of users, but in the case of Dota 2 for example, they don't even show you your personal rating because it's not meant to be an accurate representation of your skill anyway. Again, the real prestige in all these games comes from stable teams of five players winning tournaments together and taking home the prize money, that's the relevant measure of skill at the top level, nobody gives a damn about individual players' matchmaking ratings.

Likewise in tennis, doubles rankings are pretty meaningless, it's the tournament titles, especially Grand Slam ones, that really matter to anyone who knows anything at all about the sport. But yes, tennis also makes use of player ratings to determine the seeding in tournaments (and in singles there definitely is some amount of prestige associated with holding the #1 spot or being in the top 10), so that's their excuse for publishing the rankings publicly. What's yours here?

As a player, you'd have little to no control over who you partners are and would end up having to try and game the system (queue for matches together at just the right times) to get to the top with your preferred team mate, again ridding the standings at the end of the season of any real meaning and prestige.

You can't really game the system. Even if you look for a match always the same time with your friend(s), you might still end up in different matches or playing against each other. We could also have limits for playing only X number of games with same partner and/or against same opponents just like in TUS singles.

I just honestly feel that trying to come up with a perfectly bulletproof system here, even though the one presented up there certainly isn't bulletproof yet, might not be worth it because you're just not measuring skill in a meaningful way. What skill are we measuring? The skill of being an active/adaptable/calm/solid 2v2 partner, regardless of who you get randomly paired with? Is this really a quality enough people in this community care about to warrant measuring? I dunno...

If the whole point is to simply find games for people who like to play 2v2 but have trouble organising clanners/funners, I imagine a much simpler implementation (more than likely via Tomi's snooper or a simple IRC bot) would do the trick just fine. The way I see it, there's really no real need for an entire league, here on TUS or elsewhere, unless the primary concern is to find the best player/team at X, where X is something that isn't covered by a different league or competition...

We need a league table because otherwise the matches would be just funners. We are finding the best player (not absolute) at 2v2. Now we have league tables to find the best player in 1v1 and the best clan. I would be ok with having shared league table for 1v1 and 2v2 matches. We would just then have different rules for 1v1 and 2v2 so the matches wouldn't be really comparable (in 1v1 you could select your opponent but not in 2v2). I don't see how this could work with Tomi's snooper or a simple IRC bot. We need a system to arrange random matches and penalty points for not agreeing to play. Otherwise we would have no matches because players would look just for a perfect match up.

If this is meant to be a slightly lighter, less fiercely competitive alternative to clan leagues (for when there aren't enough players online to play clanners), what's so wrong about having the games just be funners?

If it was me, I think what I'd do is simply slap an IRC bot into #AG or #RH, have players interested in finding a 2v2 match sign up via a PM, PM them back when 4+ players are found to check if they're all still online and ready to go (this is the point at which they would confirm their participation, before they learn who they'll be playing with, and lose the ability to back out), let them know who they're playing with once everyone has confirmed, then wait for the result of the match to be reported. All you need then is to have your usual complaints forum set up here on TUS for when people back out regardless or when anything out of the ordinary happens and possibly also teach your bot to spit out the most successful pairs of all time when anyone PMs it with a !stats command or whatever.

Then once you see how popular the concept gets at that accessible, relatively casual level, maybe set up an optional login system via the bot through which the more serious 2v2 players (with a certain amount of 2v2 games played under their belts already) can access a first division where teams are locked for the duration of a season and the standings have actual meaning behind them. But I'm not really sure how much sense this last part makes considering we already have a clan league and now Avi's team competition going.

Frankly, if this really was me working on the project, I'd probably just do the one-off captain draft tournament that I mentioned in Avi's thread. That really did sound like it might have been fun and measured skill at something that isn't covered by other, already existing competitions on WA. Damn him for not taking that idea and doing it instead of what he's doing now!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:50 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline Senator

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 03:00 PM »

There is some team play element in worms (not much, though) so 2v2 rating could indicate your team play ability ;)

But you are right, individual 2v2 (or team game) rating doesn't make much sense. It's just for some fools who think they have achieved something when they get a high rating.

We could have 1v1 playoffs at the end of the season to see who really is the best. To qualify to the playoffs, you would just have to play 2v2 games instead of 1v1. Does it make any sense?

Or we could stay in the current system of TUS singles league with 2v2 possibility. We just don't see many 2v2 games because
1. Success is dependent on your partner also and most people are not willing to risk their singles rating playing 2v2
2. Having two pairs of friends looking for a 2v2 match is a rare situation. Having 4 random players coming to an agreement of a 2v2 match is just impossible.

Your idea of IRC bot with some added rules could solve the problem 2. It wouldn't require much work from MonkeyIsland either. We should just get logs from the bot as evidence of the match. Otherwise we may end up having 3 players lying one player (who they hate) didn't agree to play. With Tomi's Great Snooper and its TUS login feature we could prevent people from stealing others' identity.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:50 PM by Senator »

Offline Senator

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I think it could be worth coding a system to arrange 2v2 games for TUS singles league. According to poll we have now at least 32 players willing to play ranked 2v2 non-clan matches. Players love league tables and I don't see people would play much if the matches were just funners.

I can name several types of users
- Players who don't play much 1v1 or don't care about the singles ranking that much could play some competitive 2v2 besides clanners (people take the match more seriously when it's ranked)
- Low skilled players who would have a better chance to win when the match is more balanced. Some players might even reach the playoffs by gambling (you may be lucky or unlucky with the match-up).
- Pro players who like the challenge of more even 2v2 matches and think they can still reach the playoffs. Why play 1v1 if you can reach the playoffs as well by playing 2v2 that is more funny?

I suggest these steps

1. Tomi codes a system to arrange randomized and "balanced" 2v2 games. "Find 2v2" button would be on different website and in Great Snooper as well.
 - Players can use the system only when logged in with TUS account and the system saves game logs on the website for possible complaints (if someone refuses to play the match)
   - game log would look like this: #1 Player1 & Player2 vs Player3 & Player4 10.5.2014 12.05
2. If the system is fine to MonkeyIsland, he could add a special rule (penalty points for not agreeing to play) that applies only to matches arranged via Tomi's system. So players who want to play 2v2 games this way agree this special rule and its possible consequences.

Opposite thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:07 PM by Senator »

Offline Tomi

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31 AM »
- Low skilled players who would have a better chance to win when the match is more balanced. Some players might even reach the playoffs by gambling.

That's a cool thing!

- Players can use the system only when logged in with TUS account and the system saves game log on the website for possible complaints (if someone refuses to play the match)

So should the other website work only for TUS users? It's an interesting question, but may be ok if you consider that you won't have to care about banned people take part in the league.

Btw I hope that there are people here, who knows how an elo ranking system works and would share that information with me :D I am afraid of guessing the algorithm by myself.

Offline Senator

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 10:52 AM »
So should the other website work only for TUS users? It's an interesting question, but may be ok if you consider that you won't have to care about banned people take part in the league.

Yes, I think TUS singles league may be best for 2v2 games after all. No new 2v2 league table for now. Only players with TUS account could use the system. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:53 PM by Senator »

Offline Tomi

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:14 PM »
The 1st version of the system is ready to go ;) It generates random teams right now.

However we couldn't test it, coz there weren't 4 players online -.-

You can find it here: http://abl-wa.com/2v2/index.php

You can log in with your tus account.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 10:46 PM »
ABL League (who never dead) is supporting that idea!

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48 AM »

Did MI do something I should know about? ;D

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:53 AM »

you mean you and everyone
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46 AM »

Long-long time ago he made an API for snoopers. With that you can log in with your snooper and your tus account. This website uses that too, coz we thought people are too lazy to register a new account there, so they can use tus account there :D And maybe sooner or later it could be integrated into tus site if people will like it.

By the way this is my 2nd program where you can/need to use your tus account to log in and I don't collect tus accounts - it may sound crazy -, but I just want to help keeping this game alive. ^^
But the best would be if a programmer would check my code if you don't trust me. (Professor can do it easily, coz the site is on his server)

On topic: I hope it will work, and then I could change the random generator (however I'll have to wait for MI to make me an API which will show the actual rankings of a player), so I could add some searching filters (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 games, team games...)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 09:48 AM »
so you're forwarding to tus for authentification or is the auth done on your server?

because then you do have a little file with all our passwords regardless of the fact they're encrypted or that that file is already easy to obtain otherwise

it doesn't bother me personally, for the record
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Senator

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Long-long time ago he made an API for snoopers. With that you can log in with your snooper and your tus account. This website uses that too, coz we thought people are too lazy to register a new account there, so they can use tus account there :D

The main reason is to prevent people from using the system as someone else. MI will namely add a special rule that affects those who want to play 2v2 games with this system (penalty points for the player who refuses/is not able to play). If you could register a new account there then you could steal some player's identity and arrange penalty points for him. Remember this system is only to arrange TUS singles league 2v2 games.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29 AM »
so you're forwarding to tus for authentification or is the auth done on your server?

because then you do have a little file with all our passwords regardless of the fact they're encrypted or that that file is already easy to obtain otherwise

it doesn't bother me personally, for the record

Well it works like this: you enter your nickname and password, then it checks my database if it is correct. If yes then you are logged in, if not, then it uses tus site to check if the nickname and the password exists. If yes then it will registrate an account to my database with the nickname and the encrypted password. At the next login it will find the username and the password in my database and won't use tus api.

I attached the picture what I see..

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Doesn't work for me or I don't know my password