Forums
May 08, 2024, 10:21 PM

Author Topic: Next Part on TUS, Map database?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Next Part on TUS, Map database?
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I'm thinking about having a map database on TUS, before I start coding the Tourneys part.

Why? There are a few map database sites already!

Reasons :   :D

• I have promised Big Billy before I start coding TUS about making a map database :D
  • Connecting Leagues, Tourneys and Cups to Map database :

I've been checking replays. I see most of the time, the host takes advantage of hosting "His Maps".
    For example, In the WfW if you know the map well and your opponent is not familiar with the map, I say he is dead already before the game starts. I gotta say almost in EVERY scheme there's this advantage that the host can take. It is not his fault. Someone must host!

So I'm saying TUS can pick up a map by random for the players.
    For this, The system must have :

1. Rated by being standard maps :
    People can vote for the maps if they are standard to be play for a serious game.

2. Rated by difficulty maps:
    Is a map easy, normal or hard?  System can pick a map for them in the normal categorized maps. e.g a normal wxw map.

Another advantage I guess we would have by this is :
    When picking maps, 1st player goes to some page maybe "Map picker".  He request a map, then his opponent must go to that page and confirm, and then system will give them a map.
    So if someone is faking somebody else's name, he can't come to site and confirm his map.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

Re: Next Part on TUS, Map database?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04 PM »
A simple database is a nice idea but I don't think that too many people will "waste" their time with this.

Offline Rioter

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM »
The map database could fit in well and integrate with the tourney & cups section.

See what you come up with.

Don't forget there's the almighty WMDB out there :D

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Yea, WMDB and Hosting Buddy are together, you know that... ;)

Online Big Billy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Maybe you should start the Tourney Stuff first.
And then the map database :)

Offline pr

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:33 AM »
Maybe you should start the Tourney Stuff first.
And then the map database :)
agree

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:44 AM »
lol the Cups part is still wet! Now you want tourneys? xD
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I like the idea, I'm kinda worried about the site though. It often has too many connections already. And with all the .PNG maps it is bound to take up quite some space as well.  ???

I'm also interested to know the possibilities of linking the database to the league. There could be plenty, but it might just make things more difficult to understand.

Would be cool though, there's some maps that aren't suited for WMDB: ordinary .BIT maps and large packs, they deserve to be stored somewhere as well (and not just on some crappy file-sharing site).

I think it would be cool if you could add a record to each RR-map, allowing users to post their fastest time and a replay of it to prove it. A sort of large-scale RR challenge  :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:27 PM »
I like the idea, I'm kinda worried about the site though. It often has too many connections already. And with all the .PNG maps it is bound to take up quite some space as well.  ???

TUS server will be changed soon mate.

I'm also interested to know the possibilities of linking the database to the league. There could be plenty, but it might just make things more difficult to understand.

Would be cool though, there's some maps that aren't suited for WMDB: ordinary .BIT maps and large packs, they deserve to be stored somewhere as well (and not just on some crappy file-sharing site).

TUS Map database will present both png and bit maps.

I think it would be cool if you could add a record to each RR-map, allowing users to post their fastest time and a replay of it to prove it. A sort of large-scale RR challenge  :)

You mean a 'anytime for any rr map' style or should we take you to a tour on TUS? ^^
https://www.tus-wa.com/challenges/

Offline HHC

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32 PM »
You mean a 'anytime for any rr map' style or should we take you to a tour on TUS? ^^
https://www.tus-wa.com/challenges/

Anytime and anywhere :D

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:49 PM »
As for the challenges, only those maps are up which appeared in a Challenge already. Would be nice to have a sorted list, with complete map packs, like those real oldschool RR maps. :)