Forums
June 10, 2024, 06:36 PM

Author Topic: The way standings are displayed  (Read 1311 times)

Offline darKz

The way standings are displayed
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:58 PM »
I know there was a discussion about this before, but I couldn't find the thread..

So how does everyone feel about the way the standings are currently displayed? I personally think displaying seasonal standings by default is kind of strange as it never actually shows the best players on top of the list.

Also, as Ray (IIRC) already pointed out, why are the standings separated in pages? I don't see the point, except "better overview", but then I find it nicer to see the whole thing anyway.. So please put the view [All] standings as default, it really is annoying having to click it every time.. And most players aren't on page 1 of the standings anyway, so they'd have to search or click it every time as well.

Cheers. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Almog

Re: The way standings are displayed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I actually prefer the seasonal standings ;P not because I'm first.. but because most people have better chance making playoffs by reaching top 4 of seasonal standings.. and well, we are playing for a current season aren't we? though if it was up to me I wouldn't even have overall rank.. just reset stats every season like it was on FB

bout the standings separated, I agree.. the deafault should be [All].. annoying to watch only top 20 if you're not there

Offline darKz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:29 PM »
I actually prefer the seasonal standings ;P not because I'm first.. but because most people have better chance making playoffs by reaching top 4 of seasonal standings.. and well, we are playing for a current season aren't we? though if it was up to me I wouldn't even have overall rank.. just reset stats every season like it was on FB

You got a point, but as we discussed in this thread, the system does (or did) have a major flaw which got "fixed" by having only 4 seasonal and 12 overall playoff-spots. So since the overall ratings do have a higher importance now, it's not far fetched at all to have the standings table view the overall rating by default. People who wanna see the seasonal (FB = "Handicap") ratings can still click that column and have it sorted that way. :)

Btw I was about to say "sorry Almog" in that opening post, but I bit my tongue. :D

Edit: What about having it display overall by default and a profile option to choose how they're sorted for everyone individually?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:37 PM by darKz »
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:31 PM »
It is a very long list if we make the default overall AND show "all". 722 players in one page. Makes the page loading high.
hmm, I think we could show 50 people per page instead of 20? and show overall by default. The option doesn't sound bad, but I don't think anyone would bother to use it.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Random00

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:01 PM »
MI, maybe just display the guys that played in the current season, but sorted by Overall rating?
I mean there are not 700 players playing in each season I think ;d

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:14 PM »
MI, maybe just display the guys that played in the current season, but sorted by Overall rating?
I mean there are not 700 players playing in each season I think ;d

that's a good idea ! why not a check box "hide inactive players", checked by default ?

Offline darKz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Yup, agree with Random. In the seasonal standings there are also only the active players listed, so that shouldn't be hard to do right? :) And I really think it's time to focus on the overall standings as it's just much more important for playoffs now and also represents the skilled players better.
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Almog

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:37 PM »
k I didn;t know top 12 overalls make playoffs.. so fine by me
and, why sorry?

Offline darKz

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Because it's kind of gonna throw you off of the #1.   ???
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 03:13 AM »
It is 10 overall and 6 seasonal. (If we get enough activity for it, otherwise it is still the same 4/4)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I know there was a discussion about this before, but I couldn't find the thread..

So how does everyone feel about the way the standings are currently displayed? I personally think displaying seasonal standings by default is kind of strange as it never actually shows the best players on top of the list.

Also, as Ray (IIRC) already pointed out, why are the standings separated in pages? I don't see the point, except "better overview", but then I find it nicer to see the whole thing anyway.. So please put the view [All] standings as default, it really is annoying having to click it every time.. And most players aren't on page 1 of the standings anyway, so they'd have to search or click it every time as well.

Cheers. :)

Whoa, sorry about that, something MUST HAVE GONE WRONG... ::) ::) Yea, finally someone sees this from the same aspect as I do, thank you darKz for standing up for me, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I'll be your slave for eternity...

Offline darKz

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I'll be your slave for eternity...

We'll talk about that later. :D
~ Dubc 2010

Offline avirex

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 01:22 PM »
i think people are already discouraged by how hard it is to get to be high overall rating... this will just discourage people more... i dont agree with this at all.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55 AM »
i dunno
i used to think 4/4 was hard but if you have a consistent season you can still make po's. Look at myself, uber and phanton we all have high overall ranks, but the highest and still getting into the seasonal points.
also the other players with good seasonal points this season are franz and almog. You can't really say they are noobs having an easy time into playoffs for their first season. it seems to me the longer and longer tus goes on, the more approriate the 4/4 selection is. Do we really have enough activity for 16 playoffs spots? And the patients to arrange to get the games finished.

Offline darKz

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:33 AM »
it seems to me the longer and longer tus goes on, the more approriate the 4/4 selection is.

Actually it's the opposite. People with low ratings will still have a much easier time making playoffs, we already discussed that Tom! :D

It is 10 overall and 6 seasonal. (If we get enough activity for it, otherwise it is still the same 4/4)

And I'm sad to hear this.. I thought everyone saw how it's wrong to have so much focus on the seasonal ratings.. :<
~ Dubc 2010