Forums
April 27, 2024, 08:36 PM

Author Topic: Should transparent water be allowed?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Free

Should transparent water be allowed?
« on: December 10, 2023, 07:58 PM »
It doesn't happen very often but sometimes you get really deceptive water level ground spots which are impossible to see/realize that there can be actually land there. I lost a game because of a very deceptive land on water level and it made me think should we remove this rule to make the game more "fair"?

What is the reason why transparent water is not allowed? Because not everyone realizes to download/use it?

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Re: Should transparent water be allowed?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 09:26 PM »
In my opinion it should be displayed by pressing insert key, like changing the background. Or maybe as a scheme option, to avoid the conservative non sense people. Even so, I think it would be bad to play on schemes that allow it and some that don't allow it. This is something really small in terms of gameplay, and it's a quality of life feature. I hope Deadcode will implement transparent water in v3.9.

Some will say that it is cheating, but if everyone has the same feature, it's not cheating. The ones who prefer to play without it, because it is a skill to risk (or not) going to the bottom and because probably it was inteded by the original devs (due to ~ a e s t h e t i c ~ or not), I understand, but I think that the gameplay is more likely to be bad if people have to risk and do stupid moves if they can't see the bottom of the map. This is bad to spectate on a stream, a player deciding not to make a bold move (or deciding to make a stupid move), because the water is in front of the land, like this bear is in front of this question:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 09:30 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Free

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 11:32 PM »
Just saw an invisible mine on water level screw a player over xD

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 01:30 AM »
Just get better at predicting where invisible mines might lie! You can even count the number of mines on the map and have that inform your tactical decisions, it's totally a skill. Or just react to randomly stumbling upon them more quickly! :P

Signed,

Conservative Nonsense Enjoyer

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 04:26 AM »
Just get better at predicting where invisible mines might lie! You can even count the number of mines on the map and have that inform your tactical decisions, it's totally a skill. Or just react to randomly stumbling upon them more quickly! :P

Signed,

Well, talking about insert key, what if the only possible way to play WA was with those background mountains and someone decided to make a program that could make possible the black background. And then some players love the black background and started to use that program, but then, some players would argue that it is a skill to be able to identify pixels and do not confuse the terrain with the background mountains. Wouldn't you be in favour of black background?

And what about the backflip that was LITERALLY A CHEAT in Worms 2, and then WA came and made this CHEAT an official cheat that I think most people prefer, even the Worms 2 enthusiast players prefer to play with backflip. Some will say that it is a skill to play without backflip, but then in lots of situations you just can't access higher spots or climb objects, so you need to spend a rope to go up because there's a small object in the way...

Sorry if I was agressive with the word "nonsense", it was just to spice the discussion. I respect different opinions, but at the same time, these different opinions may impede the game to evolve, because people are not comfortable with changes. And the world is always changing, the earth, the living beings, the universe is in constant, or inconstant, but in motion. So, why not accept WA 3.9 could be different, like WA is different from Worms 2?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 04:43 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 07:49 AM »
Well, that's just a different discussion then, I think. It then comes down to which of those changes you see as for the better and which for the worse, but that's personal opinion for the most part. So it's trickier (and less sensible and satisfying) to argue about than things more rooted in fact, like arguing about which skill sets the game of WA covers. But even there, you do eventually have to decide which of those it should cover and which it shouldn't, which veers into opinion territory again. My opinion there is pretty simple though, I think it should just cover as many skills as possible between all the different schemes. Why not? So obviously I'm going to worry about removing anything that players are already competing at, things that some are better at than others, things I'm maybe personally working towards getting better at because I currently suck at them, etc.

I just don't find the argument that quality of life improvements should all always happen convincing. Some of them, sure, but especially with things that affect gameplay at the competitive level, it makes sense to be extra careful. Because where do you draw the line once you do start changing these things on the level of the entire community? Once you give all the schemes more hot seat time so it's easier to see the wind, remove the water waves so it's easier to see terrain and mines, implement wkPin and wkWormOrder so we don't have to memorise things anymore... ehh. Seems pretty obvious to me that that would kill at least some of the variety that makes it so enjoyable and unique to compete at Worms of all games.

No worries about sounding aggressive, btw. Spicy discussions are my favourite! Though as I say, they're more fun and fruitful when it isn't just one opinion vs. another, but rather something that can in some way be verified or falsified.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 07:54 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 12:19 PM »
are we back to this again? really? at this point my milk is more fresh than this

Offline Free

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 12:49 PM »
So how can we get a ruling/possible change on this?

I was asking about adding 5s or even 2s hotseat time for elite just so you can see the wind before your turn starts but there's nothing, no voting, decision nothing. It's kind annoying.

Offline Free

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 12:52 PM »

Signed,

In this case the mine was next to a barrel also, kinda hard to react to it and still it just adds to luck factor. Why should someone be punished for invisible mine on a competitive scheme?

Offline Free

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 11:05 AM »
So no reply from admin team to this suggestion either, nice

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 01:03 PM »
We didn't have much of a discussion about this. This is a bad time of the year and the activity is low.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 08:55 PM »
So how can we get a ruling/possible change on this?

I was asking about adding 5s or even 2s hotseat time for elite just so you can see the wind before your turn starts but there's nothing, no voting, decision nothing. It's kind annoying.

its not broke, its good that elite has no hotseat time as quick decision making is critical skill. Dealing with not knowing the wind for 2 seconds is fun and makes it harder to zook or do your parachute traverse

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 11:50 PM »
I'm still all for 1 sec hotseat in eliteto see wind