Forums
April 18, 2024, 12:46 AM

Author Topic: [Suggestion](/project?) wkControllerSupport  (Read 1817 times)

Offline N7Kopper

• United Kingdom United Kingdom
  • Find me on Xbox Live and Steam too!
    • View Profile
[Suggestion](/project?) wkControllerSupport
« on: March 28, 2022, 08:56 PM »
I know that mouse and keyboard are objectively better for playing this game to a high level of skill. But sometimes I just want to play hot seat Worms with a few lads :P and the PS1 version is definitely way easier to pick up and play. And sometimes lowering the skill gap is more fun at parties, you know? That's why items exist in Smash Bros.

So I always wondered why this game doesn't have controller support. Especially in current year, where you could literally run this game on a toaster. Simple party setup! One laptop with Worms installed, one HDMI cable, one controller, six mates. Even without how fancy the full Wormage has got recently, just having six players rather than four is a pretty great deal.

Since I'm not terribly experienced with programming, I wanted to know if it was even possible, or if some secret squirrel was doing it already (or had sequestered it somewhere in the annals of ancient versions that don't work anymore) before I dived in completely blind to try and do it myself. (To be honest, I don't even know what dependencies I need to work on modules... or even how to get the debugger to work. My experience really is quite limited.)
Political statements written like/this deserve respect only when they are written as parody.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Re: [Suggestion](/project?) wkControllerSupport
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 12:01 AM »
I never thought about this, interesting idea. I sometimes like to make my schemes not so serious, or easier if possible. And I agree that the learning curve of this game is not easy.

I realized in Mar del Plata that to begin to play Counter Strike 1.6 is easier to learn than WA. WA takes a lot of time to learn how to select weapons, what the weapons do, how to master them, think on all possibilities the other player can do, plan a strategy, learn the perfection of the pixels, etc. Maybe an "easy mode" or this idea of a controller might help beginners (or party games). Maybe introduce the manual inside the game like WWP's Wormpedia (or a "game controls" tab when pressing esc, to check in game how to use Worm Select). How to use zook, how to send private messages, Shopper Rules, how to select the time of a grenade, how to make the grenade bounce, how to backflip, etc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:05 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 01:13 AM »
Another thing I thought: adding official training missions made by our community.
Some player, or group of players could create new training missions for beginners, because the basic trainings are not that easy as they could be today, they don't need to be the only ones available, since this game has more than 20 years now. It would be nice to have an official mission campaign made by the community as well. But, I believe Team17 will not like or accept this and the missions would have to be good enough. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:21 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline N7Kopper

• United Kingdom United Kingdom
  • Find me on Xbox Live and Steam too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 10:39 PM »
It's not so much for people to challenge themselves with inferior controls, moreso for you to hook a laptop to a TV to play the objectively superior PC version of Worms at a party. Passing the keyboard and mouse is way more difficult than passing the controller, but six teams of up to eight worms is far better than four teams of up to four.

Although some mad lads could do challenge runs with it. Some guy beat Sekiro with bloody bongos after all.
Political statements written like/this deserve respect only when they are written as parody.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 04:02 PM »
This is a good idea to make the game more accessible to the standards of hotseat couch gaming of modern times that often happens on big TVs with a controller...

I think one way to do it would be to reverse the code in the WWP remake, that's the only useful feature this game had, maybe it could be turned into a wormkit module, or at least use the controller buttons they added to the UI to put them into WA...

Offline Wormsheroes

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 02:05 AM »
hi  i do an video with my roping on my gamepad xbox

if you want my config but you will have to need of  steam

in steam you go to the display tab you click on "settings" then "in the game" and you check the first two boxes then you do ok

after that if you have the games on steam you copy paste the link in a web browser steam://controllerconfig/217200/2837164967
and you open steam, normally you should have a window that opens

for the non-steam version you will have to add the game by clicking on game then add a non-steam game to the library, then you recover wa.exe at the root

finally the same you copy and paste the link steam://controllerconfig/worms%20-%20armageddon/2835748545 and you paste it in the browser then you open steam here is good game to all ^^
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 02:34 AM by Wormsheroes »

Offline Wormsheroes

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:13 PM by Wormsheroes »

Offline Wormsheroes

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 11:08 AM »
ok guys i share my software for play with controller with my preset https://www.tus-wa.com/files/file-2587/ enjoy

now the button config

- Left stick=move worms

- Left stick=mouse

- Dpad left=click mouse right, right=click left mouse ,up=f10 ,down=f11

-RB=f1, RT=boost taps, LT=f2, LB=f8

-button A= space B=enter X=del Y=f5

-select=f9 start=echap

Lstick click=f3 rstick click=f4

good game
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:06 PM by Wormsheroes »