Forums
May 01, 2024, 04:50 AM

Author Topic: GusanoNET  (Read 2958 times)

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
GusanoNET
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:00 AM »
Spoiler! View
I have been working on this mini-project throught the whole year. I have threw it off and retook it around 3 times for many reasons, including wondering whether my effort is worth the little "success" it may get, if any. But, at same time,�I'm tired of leaving every single project I do thrown away to never see the light; and although this may get little to absolutely no success, but heck, I just work�for the fun of it; working and putting creativity and�effort on a big mechanism�is what I most like to do, and when something is finished, the satisfaction it gives has no name. And this is what I like from videogames.�It's one of the very few spaces where the engine takes part of the art as a whole.
I'm keeping this running�for 1 or 2 months depending of concurrency, and I'll eventually release the source code for anyone who wants, perhaps in a similar category as�the well-known MyWormNET software.

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to present my first own project ever to be�available to the general public, GusanoNET!

The first third-party WormNET server to offer a complete functionality!

GusanoNET offers just what the first version of WormNET did, and more
- "Native" ranking & medals system
- The flaming energy bars would work again if the latest updates did actually keep them (but server returns the�proper settings after�reaching the Elite rank)
- Customized gaming channels with custom schemes and special settings
- Added new channel, #ShopperLeague. It plays with the latest Shopper scheme from Worms2d.info (as for 12/30/2015)
- Added mirror to WormNET1's #AnythingGoes (And whatever you host here will appear at WormNET as well)

I'm open for suggestions and improvements, as well.

To access, just follow the instructions here.

Happy new year to you all!

Offline StepS

Re: GusanoNET
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Great work! It's always nice to see these new developments around.
However, like you already said in your posts on that website, the rank system mostly only serves as a proof of concept, because it has been a dead end ever since its inception, as you can't trust the client with sending the game results. In order to ensure a proper ranking system, the server must be running a copy of the game engine and control the players' actions all on its own. This is the exact concept planned for W:A 4.0. Otherwise I could just open the web browser and send in fake results.
Another problem is, since the rank system was cancelled in 1999, the related game code has stayed unmaintained and exhibits lots of bugs such as the impossibility to play multi-round games (automatic lighting-up bug), the mispositioned "Show rankings" button, and also the limitations due to which you had to bundle a wormkit module package.
But nevertheless, I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

P.S.: I'm unable to find where to register through the game itself. "WelcomeLoginForm.asp" disallows access, while it should greet me and lead me to the <SHOWNEWUSERENTRY> page.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:08 AM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline ArtecTheFox

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:48 AM »
It's awesome to hear that someone wants to make the ranking system a thing again since I've always wanted to know how it really works. However, I'd suggest you to move your domain to EU.org because according to Freenom's free domain policy you aren't really the owner of it and furthermore, it can be suspended any time they want to and they don't even have to give you a reason behind it (they mostly do it once they discover it generates high traffic – this can lead to taking the domain away and being considered a premium one which means it's way more expensive to buy and renew).

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 05:05 PM »
I might give a try to EU.org. I don't want to disappear from one to other moment. If I can do a successful setup, the .tk domain will redirect to the new until it expires or I decide to turn this down :V

P.S.: I'm unable to find where to register through the game itself. "WelcomeLoginForm.asp" disallows access, while it should greet me and lead me to the <SHOWNEWUSERENTRY> page.

Two possibilities:
 - I forgot to add a version number
 - Your game's version is yet unreleased

what's yours?

Offline StepS

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 05:33 PM »
- Your game's version is yet unreleased
Yeah, seems to be the case here, it thinks the version is "outdated". It should rather do a "greater than" check, like I did in MyWormNET 1.4.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Fixed.

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Woah this actually looks pretty cool, why aren't we using it as new wormnet server? :)

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Woah this actually looks pretty cool, why aren't we using it as new wormnet server? :)
yeah i logged in and everything, seems great!  gj man

the guuuus is loose
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:09 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 12:12 AM »
This should need more attention, it's an interesting project... who's in?

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:16 AM »
I'll whup your ass on these servers, Gufo, you may win the championships on TUS, but on GusanoNET, I'm a greek God.

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 12:20 AM »
I'll whup your ass on these servers, Gufo, you may win the championships on TUS, but on GusanoNET, I'm a greek God.

I'll wreck your c@#! face so hard that GusanoNET is going to have a new channel named "Gufo" PORCO DIO

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Amen. Dio cane

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 03:11 PM »
make it open source?

Offline Shadow6x

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Nice there Trox, how is going IvanelPiby?
Long time dont see, this proyect looks assom man, i still dont test it but looks you work hard on it D:
PD. uis is going to finish soon :'(

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Ouch, long time of absence, and I think I need to give an explanation.

Shortly after new year, plans have changed; I had to forcefully get involved into my very first job, a very tiring one, and for lack of previous "practice" it felt even more tiring, and had absolutely no energy for anything else.

Now I got back into college, and I am keeping very far from the server itself, so with luck I could only access it back again since around April, not earlier. Considering another webpage I am going to release in some time later with the same server, and the kind of contents from it, opening a backdoor (such as SSH) makes me feel uneasy.

I would like to approach and thank everybody who gave their thoughts on this project, albeit unsuccessful... but I wasn't really expecting big success anyways :P

And sorry the delay.

EDIT: Just checked some access logs. And I remind: Snoopers are NOT supported.