Forums
April 27, 2024, 09:49 PM

Author Topic: Where to buy W:A?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Garf

Where to buy W:A?
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:54 AM »
I've been playing W:A pretty enthusiatically long ago.

But CDs are long lost, and I really don't want to go and buy CDs (with crappy old DRM stuff involved that's gonna be installed).

So, I think if anyone wants to promote the game, a good step would be to help folks like me: Where can I buy W:A digitally? GoG.com would be a good spot to look for it, but it's not there. Any other digital distribution available that doesn't require junk (like Steam)?

Offline Hussar

Offline Korydex

Re: Where to buy W:A?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09 AM »
t_t
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:16 PM by Korydex »

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:51 AM »
There's no horrible DRM involved if you get the disc version of the game (one of the updates a long time ago removed all but the CD check). You can even avoid the fugly SoldOut Software installer entirely and run Install.exe manually if that's the version you end up with. It's still cheaper than Steam and you can make an ISO image out of it for comfort and instant loading times.

Apart from CD and Steam, there aren't really any other options right now. GOG really dropped the ball on their release of W2 (they couldn't get the multiplayer working internally so they axed it completely even though it works perfectly fine), but maybe someday, T17 decide to put WA there as well. See shall we.

Offline StepS

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:34 PM »
they couldn't get the multiplayer working internally so they axed it completely even though it works perfectly fine
Spoiler! View
well yes, because have simply used a TryMedia frontend.exe which allows to play without the CD but removes this multiplayer ability, while still keeping the 1.05 Worms2.exe. It's quite stupid because one can do so for free (assuming TryMedia version itself was free), by simply downloading it and then copying over the Worms2.exe from the Team17's free patch. I assume they simply couldn't patch the game properly to not require the disc rather than using a broken version (S*natch did that a long time ago, why couldn't GOG make an agreement with Team17 after all?).
The Worms2.exe is the UK 1.05 one, with only 2-byte difference (using WIN32.DLL instead of WINMM.DLL, which also loads audiere.dll, an extremely heavy (500 kB) crutch used for playing music files from the Worms 2 directory).
Overall, sad, very sad.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:06 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:03 PM »
i can sell you W:A for 7.99$

deal/

Offline Garf

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I actually managed to find my dusty old european Microprose release W:A disc, and it works (after some fiddling installing it)!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 05:45 AM »
aww no way

Offline JolanXBL

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33 PM »
I like Steam. Haven't had any problems with it and all of the games I've bought, work  :-*

Offline Spenner

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Steam is a good platform to own it on merely for communication reasons, and having a chat overlay can come in handy if you're trying to arrange a game. But it is a clunky and quite ugly program, I don't necessarily like it.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Steam sux, GoG Galaxy ftw

Offline Korydex

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 06:00 PM »
del
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:22 PM by Korydex »

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 07:40 PM »
You COULD pirate it (like I did, unfortunately), but it's not the best idea unless you're out of options. If possible, buy the CD. There are plenty out there!
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!