1 (5.6%)
May 17
6 (33.3%)
Day after Xmas?
5 (27.8%)
Last Weekend of a month?
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Worms Holiday  (Read 3008 times)

Offline avirex

Re: Worms Holiday
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48 PM »
yes Ray, first i wanted to see if people thought it was a good idea...

i was really expecting alot of people to bash the idea, im glad everyone seems to like it...

the main goal would be to get this date stuck in everyones head that currently plays.... the amount of wormers that are gone for ever is staggering, they just will never come back...  thats why creating such a date now is important.

i think the 17th of a certain month holds a memorable meaning for all of us, but like some said, may not be ideal for everyone to set time aside on such a random date (that could fall on a weekday)

first step obviously is figure out a date, or at least a day... (such as second weekend of  month, etc. )

then we can create a simple website with nothing more then a timer, and with MonkeyIslands support, a banner on the top of TUS.. (and possibly other popular worms sites)

then as you said Ray, maybe ppl can send mass emails to old worms contacts..   the main goal is to get a date stuck into everyones head, so as time goes on, as we may loser wormers, they will still come back on a specific day... but, if in the process we can gain real old schoolers attention, that would only be a plus.

side not: being that i came up with this idea: when this date does come around, i would like you all to think of me as santa clause.  ;p jk

ps: as cheesy as it would be, i was thinking the day after christmas... most EVERYONE should have time off from work, or school that day, and usually not alot going on with family, its just a day to chill out....    also, would be easy to remember..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:53 PM by avirex »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52 PM »
What will this meeting actually look like? You need some program.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Well I remember the biggest issue I had when returning to W:A was obtaining a copy of the game. I know images etc. but I didn't like the idea to just download and some sites may be malicious. In the end I got my W:A Image from dark. So I figure getting together in #AG is easy thanks to snooper but actually playing could be problematic for some that just install W:A for that particular day?

Offline Korydex

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Well I remember the biggest issue I had when returning to W:A was obtaining a copy of the game. I know images etc. but I didn't like the idea to just download and some sites may be malicious. In the end I got my W:A Image from dark. So I figure getting together in #AG is easy thanks to snooper but actually playing could be problematic for some that just install W:A for that particular day?
Probably there should be some links to get WA on said site.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13 PM »
What about making a "meeting" within Worm Olympics? Most if not everyone in the past years that played W:A knows about it and the date could be set at a good weekend day. I remember when I heard winter Olympics or summer Olympics in TV that I always remembered Worms Olympics lol. Also it has many nationality flags, when I see many of them packed together I also think of W:A. xD

Offline Korydex

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 03:23 PM »
What about making a "meeting" within Worm Olympics? Most if not everyone in the past years that played W:A knows about it and the date could be set at a good weekend day. I remember when I heard winter Olympics or summer Olympics in TV that I always remembered Worms Olympics lol. Also it has many nationality flags, when I see many of them packed together I also think of W:A. xD
Yes, indeed, thought about it too. :) At 17th day of month it can be done on summer WO I guess.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Meanwhile, all the craze surrounding the T17 Humble Weekly Sale is already bringing people we thought we'd never see again back to WormNet, at least for quick visits. I've spoken to or seen theone from NBR, Liberty from EiF, Rebell from BkM and HariSeldon (!) within the past week alone. Hot damn. :-X

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 07:04 AM »
I saw KnightfoX yesterday.
Robot (from MwC) came on last month.

Names frtom the past for me anyway!

Offline Tomi

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Nice idea. What about something like 17th weekend of the year? Or 17th month? hmm.. 17th month probably won't work :D Or the 34th weekend, coz it's 2*17.. ^^ so something like that

I don't know why, but I think in a weekend there would be much bigger activity than in a weekday.

By the way firstly we should get the e-mail addresses of the old players, or somehow make contact with them and store the addresses in a database. Then we could send them mails, to make them remember that next weekend will be this big worms comeback event, so better start to make that weekend free for yourself and start to practice a little bit ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:43 AM by Tomi »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Let's have holiday on 17th of August. It's vacations and WO time.

Offline SpideR

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Well, I had issues installing W:A in windows 8. Which I overcome with a ghost copy of my "c:/worms armageddon/" folder from another pc to the new laptop. The tweaks, script changes like skipIntro, timerworkaround... worked out, and I was able to update to lastest package without a problem. I wasn't able to install W:A in Win8 cause of it's oldie installwizard which was never starting.

Maybe finding a fast server with enough bandwitch, which could be a torrent powered by ourselves, with a .ZIP of a ghost copy of W:A could be an easy way to "download'n play".

Question for the computar pros: will it work in any OS? What about the MAC?

2#

Looking at 2014 calendar:

- may 17 will be a sunday!
- may 31 is sunday too!

Offline StepS

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I wasn't able to install W:A in Win8 cause of it's oldie installwizard which was never starting.
this is a very common problem and the solution is very simple: on the CD, navigate to Install\Install.exe and run it instead of the default Setup.exe. Simple as that, but not everyone remembers that

Maybe finding a fast server with enough bandwitch, which could be a torrent powered by ourselves, with a .ZIP of a ghost copy of W:A could be an easy way to "download'n play".
it would still be illegal :( people should just get the Humble Bundle now while it lasts.

Question for the computar pros: will it work in any OS? What about the MAC?
Installing WA on Mac OS X.

Related to that, I have also seen an astonishingly simple technique to install run WA on Linux (by only using 1 command in the terminal, without doing anything else), but sadly that method is illegal. If only something like that could be made automated for the legal copies...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:26 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline SpideR

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 06:46 AM »
MAN, the hundle butthole thing is completely outrageous.

Let's make a torrent... and who the f@#! is t17 today?

Do they update the game we love so? Well. I bought the game.

They care about money only, just like anyone's possible team17 games salesman...

We care about.... fun?

Offline Anubis

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 11:49 AM »
If you bought W:A once I would not feel guilty downloading the game when I lost my disc. I've still supported the developer and publisher by giving them my money already once in the past.

Offline avirex

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 03:20 PM »
i thought it was legal to download the game, if you made original purchase...

kind of like emulators and roms, they are legal only if you own the real cartridge? no?

i bought w:a once, and i still have the original CD somewhere in some storage box...

but any time i have came back to worms i DL'ed... i dont ever feel bad.. it actually brings me joy ;D