Forums
May 02, 2024, 06:28 AM

Author Topic: Do us a favour please and just end WO.  (Read 2396 times)

Offline h3oCharles

Re: Do us a favour please and just end WO.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34 PM »
what's a scripter?

A player that uses scripts, on most cases they are macros.

Offline Husk

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Rofl, and I thought this topic is posted by Goatmax. :D

I'm a ninja! I'm a ninja!

=499

Offline theredi

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 10:20 PM »

I'm a ninja! I'm a ninja!

nope he is the ninja!

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 08:39 AM »
what's a scripter?

A player that uses scripts, on most cases they are macros.

can we have an example of this happening or do we assume Komodo is on his usual tripping?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46 AM »
X-Force / Protostar is the old cheater. He's been doing it for so long now that it's not even bothering to play against that clown haha :)

WO is great event, hope to play some this winter.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55 PM »
Do us a favour please and begin WO.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Godmax

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 08:37 AM »
Where are the olympics? Runaway failed in bringing them back

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 10:09 AM »
Where are the olympics? Runaway failed in bringing them back

I tried hard. Both Zimke and Billy were available to support a new website development for WO. Nevertheless, due to the lack of interest from the community, I just dropped this idea out.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 03:10 PM »
I tried hard. Both Zimke and Billy were available to support a new website development for WO. Nevertheless, due to the lack of interest from the community, I just dropped this idea out.
Why not just do WO with tus interface?  IMO you don't actually need its own website.  Maybe MI could make another tab at the top for WO tournaments, and they would be sorted differently from normal tournaments?

Offline xSniperx

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 03:17 PM »
Why not just do WO with tus interface?  IMO you don't actually need its own website.  Maybe MI could make another tab at the top for WO tournaments, and they would be sorted differently from normal tournaments?

Yeah tbh it made sense back when to be separate entity because of the level of active players expected to be involved but i think realistically with what you're likely to see now the only viable option is to integrate it within the TUS league database. no idea the level of interest there still is but i think to actually get the back end done would be very simple. with it being such an iconic event in the landscape of the games online history would be nice to see it have a home here.     

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 03:44 PM »

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/worm-olympics-35727/

Implementing WO's business logic from scratch on TUS would require a lot of effort from MI considering the fact that based on my past investigation, there is no way to get backend source code.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 04:00 PM »
https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/worm-olympics-35727/

Implementing WO's business logic from scratch on TUS would require a lot of effort from MI considering the fact that based on my past investigation, there is no way to get backend source code.
I'm not talking about the exact same interface, it doesn't need to be that, just special set of tournaments with its own standings, using the existing tournament logic on tus.  Think this: https://www.tus-wa.com/tournaments/standings/
but 'Worms Olympics standings'.  Not sure if MI could do this easily or not?

Offline Triad

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2024, 04:25 PM »
WO on TUS would be obviously better than no WO, but TUS system has some differences other than points system, such as not allowing 3-way finals, or 1v1v1v1 games for racing schemes.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 03:27 PM »
I don't want to be the one to say this, but there will be no more Worm Olympics.

The format that made the Olympics possible assumed a popularity that the game no longer has.
Even in the "golden days", when the game enjoyed it's popularity, not all tournaments managed to gather 12 or 16 people simultaneously, the minimum for tournament hosting. Nevertheless, some tournaments attracted 30-50 people, or more.
Spoiler! View

Since then, the popularity of the game has dropped 10-20 times. In the last years, Tus tournaments attracted 8 people (as best-case scenario), or 0 (meaning no one came, most of the time)

My point will be that this is not enough, from a simply mathematical point of view.

And here I'll note another thing: that magical feeling of Olympics stemmed from the Network effect:
2-3 tournaments with a small number of players are of little interest. But when for several months many tournaments with a large number of players from many dozens of countries and clans are played every day, forming a standing, people get involved in the race and competition, and this is a network effect that does not generate in a situation where the amount of players that comes to the tournaments is almost less than the number of medals expected to be awarded. (Not even talking about the old 3vs3 tournaments, where the winners received a total of 9 medals, more than the number of people tournaments ever had in the recent years).

The Olympics without the network effect is not going to work. This was already felt during the last few Olympics, where it did not attract enough people, felt like a failure, and it was for this reason that WO disappeared in the first place. The community has since shrunk several more times.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how this can be fixed without raising the games popularity back 20x
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:32 PM by Impossible »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 05:49 PM »
Spoiler! View

Where did you get this chart? Which source? I would like to click the "?" Button to see the criteria of WA interest over time.

I think 2009 was the golden age of RubberWorm and PX. After that, IIRC WA received no updates until 3.8 few years ago (PX is still incompatible with this version and stopped being developed). So, this chart makes sense, but I think the community is still very active, I see Anything Goes with dozens of people online often. TUS still has many cups and challenges going on. WMDB is still receiving good maps constantly... Not sure if the interest is so low right now.

I remember I stopped playing mainly because there were no updates, the community was toxic, I felt that everything I was doing had no interest to people, and real life problems such as university. Also, other games were free, new and addictive by this time.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'