Forums
April 28, 2024, 10:26 AM

Author Topic: Help finding a laptop!  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Dub-c

Help finding a laptop!
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:46 AM »
I have never been very computer smart, anyone who knows me would agree. I would love to get a new laptop so I could play w:a again. My problem is I have very little expendible money (mortgage, truck payments, etc etc) and I have no idea what to buy. I would like the cheapest laptop possible to play w:a. What would be the best option on bestbuy.ca?

Thanks in advance
Dub-c
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Help finding a laptop!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 04:52 AM »
 What's your budget(most you will spend)?

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:19 AM »
What screen size do you want? How important is portability - will it spend most of its time hooked up to a monitor and external kb/mouse? Want to play any other games?

If youre still in canada you should get a refurbished laptop from bauer systems, which is in the gta. Best prices anywhere and quality stuff. New deals are added all the time. I bought my laptop there and got a steal of a deal. Shipping is about $12. http://www.bauersystems.com/price-list.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:34 AM by j0e »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:27 AM »
im selling my computer

6700k i7
120gb SSD
32gb memory

send me an offer

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Also when you come back, join our clan :)

Offline Tomi

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Wow Walrus, that sounds a massive pc/laptop, why did you need 32 gb of memory? :D

Dub-c, the most important is to buy a laptop that runs Windows (and not Android), the other components will be enough for wa :)
Another question is whether you will play on an external keyboard or not. If not then you need to risk a little (I suppose you can't try it out before) if it will be convenient and won't have key lags. I write that because on my old Toshiba notebook I can't play w:a with the keys I am used to, because they have weird lags.. however when I replace keys to x and z then it works ok.

About brands:
Unfortunately it seems that the manufacturer of a notebook matters a lot. My Toshiba has that weird kb bug, but it seems to be indestructible. As I see Asus produces really cheap chinese products: my sister had 2 Asus laptops, both died in about 2 years and the brand new Asus laptop of my boss is dieing already with blue screens. HP: i don't know their newest products, but HP was famous of how much it heated and how loud it was. Lenovo: sooner it was said that it had the best keyboard after macbook, but nowadays it seems like not. I know 2 people who is using Lenovo laptops and keys are jumping out, so roping on it might not be a good idea. Acer: it was the cheap and low quality laptop back then and it is still cheap usually, but I heard they developed, but I have never used one so I don't know about them.

So to sum up, I guess unfortunately every brands have pros and cons too. Personally I would not go for Asus (and maybe Lenovo neither) :/

About the components:
I guess you will use the pre-installed windows on the laptop, so it will be Windows 10 and it requires at least 4gb of memory to run smooth (I guess you can't even buy a new laptop with less memory anyway, but if yes, then don't get it ;)). SSD is a very fast thing to store your data and it will make your laptop really very fast, but it is more expensive than a HDD so you will get less space for the same price. There are on besbuy.ca some laptops with really little SSDs, which might be fast, but I guess not enough to store movies for example. Usually the biggest SSD you can get for a low price is 120GB. If that's not enough for you then you should go for a 500GB or 1TB HDD. For CPU i would go for Intel: AMD is unfortunately far behind of Intel in technology. So there are Intel Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5 and i7 processors which will define the price of the laptop the most. Celeron and Pentium ones are kinda slow, but for w:a enough, however you shouldn't expect any miracle from those: windows might not response fast sometimes.

That was just a basic knowledge which is good to know before buying a laptop. We need to know your budget to recommend you one.

ps.: If I was incorrect somewhere then feel free to correct me, coz I don't want to give bad advices :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:57 AM by Tomi »

Offline Triad

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Do you absolutely need laptop or will you be fine with desktop too? Building a desktop PC is much cheaper than buying a laptop so unless you absolutely need portability of a laptop I will help you to get best bang for buck desktop build for your budget.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:08 AM »
For CPU i would go for Intel: AMD is unfortunately far behind of Intel in technology.
i heard that intel processors have backdoors tho

Offline Triad

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:11 AM »
AMD CPUs are fine for budget builds.

Also new AMD CPUs coming end of this month probably, they might be aggressive with pricing.

Offline MeTonaTOR

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 10:07 AM »
For CPU i would go for Intel: AMD is unfortunately far behind of Intel in technology.
i heard that intel processors have backdoors tho

Every cpu has an exploit. AMD included
<Asbest> alright im too sleepy, i seen too many idiots today. i hope no one will get what i got. have a good night
* Asbest (~Asbest@5b606b87.bfe48da6.6c2d5d00.IP4) Quit (Quit)
<StepS> party
<OutofOrder> ♫♪♫♪ \o/ _o/ \o\  /o/ ♫♪♪♫
<Bamboy> ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
<StepS> (≧▽≦)
<Bamboy> ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
<WTF-8> ( . )   ( . )

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 12:37 PM »
What screen size do you want? How important is portability - will it spend most of its time hooked up to a monitor and external kb/mouse? Want to play any other games?

If youre still in canada you should get a refurbished laptop from bauer systems, which is in the gta. Best prices anywhere and quality stuff. New deals are added all the time. I bought my laptop there and got a steal of a deal. Shipping is about $12. http://www.bauersystems.com/price-list.html

Thanks-you for everyones imput. This sounds a much better route then bestbuy, prices are way lower. A bigger screen would be nice for playing on. Would always be hooked up to external kb/mouse. I didn't realize you could hook a monitor up to a laptop. I wouldn't play any other games on it. Anything from bauer you would suggest?
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56 PM »
where did u see last time ur laptop?  when was the last time used?  Did you borrow it to someone? is there possiblity that it was lost or stolen?

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 02:10 PM »
4GB DDR2/DDR3 of ram should be fine for w:a if you are using with steam and windows 10 (personally i dont like it). a processor with 2 or 4 cores should be fine too, amd and intel are really close if you want to play an old game.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Depends how fast you need a laptop and what your budget is. It's the same idea as kijiji.. the rarest/most desirable laptops get listed and disappear fast, while the old ones remain. If you have time to wait you could find a 17" dell precision or hp elitebook with quad core intel i7, 1080p screen and a 2-4gb graphics card and 16 gigs ram for about $500-600. That would be a beast and be future proof for a while. Lots of space for extra hard drives or SSDs inside.

17 inch laptops are the hardest to find and they sell fast. Its also harder to find a laptop with a dedicated gfx card. Most have intel integrated gfx for example hd3000. Good enough for worms but you can get better. Most laptops have crappy 1366x768 screens which I would for sure avoid. Assume 1366 unless stated otherwise. Bauer is bad about listing details though... many of the laptops in that list would have better specs than listed (for example higher reso screen or some might have a dedicated gfx card but not say). Email them and ask for more info.. mohit responds fast.

As for brands.. as long as you get a business grade laptop the quality will be good. Far better than some consumer grade shit from bestbuy that falls apart and overheats. Dell's business line is the Precision and slightly lower grade Latitude. HP makes the Elitebook. Lenovo has the T, W and X series (eg. T530). Any of those would be good if you can find the specs you want. None of the lenovos have a numpad if you care about that. Backlit kbs are not standard on most models so ask if you want one. The elitebook has weird shaped arrow keys so you basically have to use an external kb (or remap to numpad) for worms.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:56 PM by j0e »

Online Sensei

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Intel Core 2 Duo, 2ghz.
Probably worth like a box of chocolate now, but beast of a CPU.
Used it for 5-6 years before purchasing new PC few months ago.

Geforce gt440. Quite cheap but pretty cool graphics card. Played W:A in 1920x1080 on a 19'' monitor that supported 1366x768 as the biggest res. Just cause GPU allowed me to make custom resolution. (probably you can do this with other Nvidias too, but haven't tried it)

From what I've got, you don't care about PC, but want to have something for surfin, office stuff and W:A. Atm, you can build a configuration that will do all that and cost cheaper than going out on a few beers with buddies.

Gl.

EDIT: nvm this post if you're just looking for new notebook.