Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:41 AM

Poll

Should it be legal to place markings on or near your monitor, as visual aids (in schemes like BnG)?

Yes
17 (32.1%)
No
36 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?  (Read 10031 times)

Re: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26 PM »
thats bullshit
"since most people tend to the order side, its my job to spread chaos" -peja

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43 PM »
A rule regarding this would not be pointless. We already have rules that are important, but still unenforceable, namely regarding the use of external programs and macros. People really shouldn't vote yes just because it can't be enforced; there would still be an effect on honest players who want to play by the rules (and people can still change their votes btw).

By labeling markings as illegal, that would mean players using them are actually cheating, not just doing something 'lame'. 'Lame' isn't a deterrent for players like me, I only care about the rules, and using every legal advantage I can. This poll will at the very least affect whether I use markings or not, I wouldn't have started it if I was content using them and keeping it to myself.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34 PM »
'Lame' isn't a deterrent for players like me, I only care about the rules, and using every legal advantage I can.

My problem with BnG and my attitude towards my games condensed :)

I voted "no" as a principle thing, however, if one has more fun resorting to that then what can you do?

Offline chakkman

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 12:28 AM »
A rule regarding this would not be pointless. We already have rules that are important, but still unenforceable, namely regarding the use of external programs and macros. People really shouldn't vote yes just because it can't be enforced; there would still be an effect on honest players who want to play by the rules (and people can still change their votes btw).

By labeling markings as illegal, that would mean players using them are actually cheating, not just doing something 'lame'. 'Lame' isn't a deterrent for players like me, I only care about the rules, and using every legal advantage I can. This poll will at the very least affect whether I use markings or not, I wouldn't have started it if I was content using them and keeping it to myself.

How will you detect people marking their display?

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 12:36 AM »
Do people even read my posts when they're more than 2 sentences long?

Offline Peja

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 12:40 AM »

its called the "komo syndrome"
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 12:50 AM »

its called the "komo syndrome"

Both not reading them as well as writing them is under the same syndrome XD

Offline chakkman

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 12:54 AM »
What's the point in setting up a rule when you can't confirm that someone was breaking that rule... you give the use of cheat tools as an example, probably referring to SnipeR using AHK, getting banned for that. Well, MI must have had sure proof for him using that tool otherwise he wouldn't have gotten banned. Or at least he must've thought he has sure proof. ;)

Offline Crazy

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55 AM »
I have taken notice of this as well, and was kind of waiting for this to come up. The amazing, magnificant 100% accurate (literally) throws with petrol to block players hiding darn well and so on durin games in elite (scheme) has increased HEAVINGLY. I might sound like a jealous guy saying this, as I am and always have been a pretty rotten bng player, but some of this is just so plain obvious.. CPU-1 and his mates would even go and cry in the corner.

It`s like you go up for an exam and score a 100% test (its too good to be true!!), after normally having tested at an average of 70-75% just few months ahead. I find it pathetic to cheat in Worms to be honest, we are a small community with a genuine interest and if you chose to cheat in a way like this, your life has got to be pretty sad. What I can say though is that I`ve lost some, if not all, respect to the opponents I`ve been seeing doing this. Is losing face punishment enough in itself? Not for everyone. For me, I value respect over skill, but I don`t think everyone follow this pattern. So maybe we should not allow it ;O

I also believe that if this was enforced as a rule, some of those players who are using it would go back to not using it, because they as Mablak says would want to play the game in a legal and fair way.

Edit: By cheat I mean lame and vice versa, so yes, I consider it cheating.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:36 AM by Crazy »

Offline Crazy

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 01:34 AM »
Lets see if anyone got the guts to come forward and just admit it and speak openly about it. THAT would be one of the most admirable things I`ve seen anyone do in this community. Franz still leads this by far, having taken one hell of a tough decision by ruining both his name and reputation, instead of taking the easy way out and just leave the game. Look at him now, he`s a more respected player then he`s ever been. Maybe I`m being too serious about this but things like this just really pisses me off, and I will to be honest consider leaving the game myself if no rule against it will be enforced.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 02:30 AM »
What's the point in setting up a rule when you can't confirm that someone was breaking that rule... you give the use of cheat tools as an example, probably referring to SnipeR using AHK, getting banned for that. Well, MI must have had sure proof for him using that tool otherwise he wouldn't have gotten banned. Or at least he must've thought he has sure proof. ;)

Well, by this reasoning, using slow motion programs would be perfectly legal if Cybershadow and Deadcode weren't around, since without those two, we wouldn't be able to detect them.

In every video game there are important rules against cheating that can't be enforced. Let cheaters cheat, let honorable people play with dignity by not having game-ruining things allowed/encouraged.

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 04:44 AM »
waiting for the update that ruins full power shots. the power bar should go back down after hitting full power, making it difficult to shoot full power shots every time. this feature should be in bng/elite/hysteria/team17/etc.

whaaat? something like that is coming out?
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 09:32 AM »
So who will (officially) decide if it's cheating or not? MonkeyIsland? ???

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline nino

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 11:56 AM »
No, it is a decision for the king, so if I find out any slave using this trick ill cut off finger by finger.
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Well, by this reasoning, using slow motion programs would be perfectly legal if Cybershadow and Deadcode weren't around, since without those two, we wouldn't be able to detect them.

The point is, when it comes to a complaint or a suspicious replay you just cannot proof that some1 has been marking his display. Same with using cheat programs, there was long discussion about SnipeR, finally he admitted he used some AHK script, but if that wouldn't have been the case, his ban would be well controversial as MonkeyIsland never really gave any exact information how they have detected him using the script. Now imagine a mass of complaints if you set up this rule without being able to prove it (especially in a scheme like bng where people spot laming and cheating all over the place). Pointless.