Forums
May 02, 2024, 11:27 AM

Poll

Should it be legal to place markings on or near your monitor, as visual aids (in schemes like BnG)?

Yes
17 (32.1%)
No
36 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Abnaxus

Re: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Again, a single problem of people mentality.
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 02:39 PM »
probably would have been a good idea not to open a thread about this... it cant be enforced so all this really is is a discussion thats putting ideas in some lame players heads

Offline Ramone

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I wouldn't make it legal, but anyway as chakk have said, there's no way to prove it, so... What can U do? U can only proclaim it lame here in this topic and that's all..

Komo have used his thumb all the time and we only know that because he told us so. Thumb is kinda same thing as monitor markings, so... What can U do?

The whole thing is too irrational to make a rule out of it. It's all kinda on a players personality..
And that's all rock n' roll.. ;x

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I don't like this and I think even though there's no way to detect this, we should make some boundaries and draw the line somewhere. But us drawing the line, will teach potential "lamers" to go there faster. There are very few people who do this, there will be more when they see it in the rules.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I don't like this and I think even though there's no way to detect this, we should make some boundaries and draw the line somewhere. But us drawing the line, will teach potential "lamers" to go there faster. There are very few people who do this, there will be more when they see it in the rules.

But you realize, not having a rule against something means it's legal. It is currently okay to use markings, which is precisely why some people are using them. I'll be using markings if nothing comes of this thread, and I'll encourage other players to use them as well.

You could simply phrase it as no using 'visual aids', that term is general enough to not give people too many ideas.

Offline HHC

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54 PM »
It's an unwritten law. Just because the rules don't specifically state it (yet) doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

You're engaging in unfair competition, on purpose.

You have a splendid reputation Mablak, and the respect of the whole community. But this makes you really no better than say... Zippo.

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 10:39 PM »
What if i have scratches and markings all over the screen, do i have to buy a new one?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:55 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 10:43 PM »
It's an unwritten law. Just because the rules don't specifically state it (yet) doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

You're engaging in unfair competition, on purpose.

You have a splendid reputation Mablak, and the respect of the whole community. But this makes you really no better than say... Zippo.

Unwritten laws are pointless in a league, we can't reasonably expect players to abide by them. Especially not new players, who would have no idea about such things.

BnG is an excellent example of how unwritten laws have gone wrong. Everyone has their own strange idea about what 'cheapness' entails. Some Brazillian once told me that you can't attempt the same type of shot twice in a row (though for him it was fine to do exact repeats every other shot), and some people now cry foul if you teleport near the middle of the map, even if you're a legal distance away.

Expecting people to follow unwritten laws has caused endless drama in BnG, because people are essentially playing with different sets of rules. I would say that encouraging the creation of unwritten laws is the source of much of the unfair competition in worms.

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2011, 10:52 PM »
What if i have scratches and markings all over the screen, do i have to buy a new one?

Only if you couldn't resist using them to aim, and you couldn't get rid of them or cover them up somehow. I mean if someone can have markings and avoid using them, that's fine, though that wouldn't fly in the 2015 televised TUS playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Now seriously - ive said it many times, BnG (and anything thats related i.e throwings in Elite) is too sensitive for abuses and theres literally nothing we can do about it in this simple 2D game besides pointing out whats right and what is not, the rest is up to players and their playing style. For me markings on the screen are not right, on the other hand poiting your previous aim with a finger is kinda different - its the same as looking at ingame sprites to measure it, id say someone is deceiving himself for not using it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:58 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline Rok

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58 PM »
But you realize, not having a rule against something means it's legal.

Perhaps, but it doesn't neccesarily make it moral. Which is why some people don't use markers, even though they could.

If you think it would be good to have such rule, heck, you got my vote, why not. A rule like that is as effective as bad consciousness (for certain people completely ineffective) :)
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Now seriously - ive said it many times, BnG (and anything thats related i.e throwings in Elite) is too sensitive for abuses and theres literally nothing we can do about it in this simple 2D game besides pointing out whats right and what is not, the rest is up to players and their playing style. For me markings on the screen are not right, on the other hand poiting your previous aim with a finger is kinda different - its the same as looking at ingame sprites to measure it, id say someone is deceiving himself for not using it.

Well yeah, 'pointing out' means making a rule for it.

Offline Ramone

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 02:46 AM »
But what do U do with the rule that cannot be controlled or judged? It's set there just to suit our moral criteria?  ???

Offline HHC

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 10:56 AM »
BnG is an excellent example of how unwritten laws have gone wrong. Everyone has their own strange idea about what 'cheapness' entails. Some Brazillian once told me that you can't attempt the same type of shot twice in a row (though for him it was fine to do exact repeats every other shot), and some people now cry foul if you teleport near the middle of the map, even if you're a legal distance away.

I like to think there's a difference between the unwritten laws not to cheap too much in BnG's and using all kinds of programs or measuring devices to make a perfect shot time after time.

But yeah, the 'cheapness' rules killed BnG. If it were up to me we'd replace BnG with randomsteria or something of that kind.
Heck, if I were to start a new league I'd kick out half of the schemes we have now and replace them with something straightforward and diverse (not purist BnG, purist rope (RR) or that abomination called WxW).

Expecting people to follow unwritten laws has caused endless drama in BnG, because people are essentially playing with different sets of rules. I would say that encouraging the creation of unwritten laws is the source of much of the unfair competition in worms.

Hm. What are you pleading for? BnG with all cheapness and cheats allowed? Or a bunch of rules that cannot be possibly enforced but only give people bad ideas?

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Something like 'No using external visual aids' is all I'm asking for, I don't think that would give people too many ideas. I suppose people rarely check the rules, but at least it would be there if the subject came up.

But I do play BnG now with no regard for cheapness, that's the way it should be. Last clanner I played that way had no drama at all, hallelujah. I'd also like to replace BnG with something else, though this marking discussion applies to other schemes as well.