Forums
April 27, 2024, 11:24 AM

Author Topic: Missing Features i really wish we had back in Armageddon.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Lifeform84

As someone who grew up with many of the worms games, WA will always be my favorite game in mind.

However both the classic Worms United, and Worms 2 have a special place in my heart since

they had features that WA did not include for various reasons.

Worms United introduced us to exploding crates, Now many people Hated it, and so did i at first,

However it grew on me eventually.

Exploding Crates became one of my favorite features in both worms 1 and 2, its soo sad it was removed in Armageddon.

Now i understand the hate for it, it really sucks when you pick up a create and it goes "Boom" it your face, i had that done to me

many games, However it balances itself perfectly out when the same "Boom" can go to your enemy as well, so it gives players a

high risk and reward feeling, and i love that, i feel disappointed it was removed from WA at the very lease they should

have made it an option to turn "ON" or "Off" so players can choose that option on crates, instead of totally removing it.

I really miss the homing airstrikes in worms 2, and the homing cluster bombs, those where fun weapons to play around.

AFAIK both of them were removed because many complained they were overpowered and requiring no skill to use.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment due to these reasons.

Both of them were very uncommon weapons in crates, making the rarity behind them in my opinion justified.

The homing cluster bomb needed to be used at a certain range for it to be useful in a situation, so it depends, even with the

homing clusters they were not 100% accurate all the time.

Now the homing airstrike is a whole different story, Yes it was a very accurate weapon and you could easily kill worms with it,

however it was also very rare in creates, making it a unique or uncommon weapon, perfectly justified in my opinion.

Especially the fact that Super weapons were already included in the game, like the Magic Bullet, The Concrete Donkey,

Mike's Carpet Bomb, Sheep Strike, all those weapons were way stronger then the homing airstrike. So i dont buy the

Homing Strike is too op When super weapons like this exist.

The point im making, when someone is trying to determin whats OP and whats not, you also need to take into account how

optainable is the weapon to a player is in the first place.

I also enjoyed the clone sheep weapon, that was cool... At least we still get the mad cows...

I also miss the exclusive worm death animation in worms 2, i wonder why was it replaced, i love to see my worm jump in the air

turning blue before exploding, that was always satisfying for me to watch...

I still play worms to this day, its soo fun...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:56 PM by Lifeform84 »

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Missing Features i really wish we had back in Armageddon.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 08:44 PM »
If I didn't know any better I'd say this was ChatGPT AI or something...

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 09:06 PM »
Lifeform84, welcome! (did you copy that from another text editor?)

W:A may lack some of old features but it certainly offers lots of other unique features.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:11 PM »

W:A may lack some of old features but it certainly offers lots of other unique features.

No, i wrote this text myself... No idea why im being mistaken for an AI ?!!!

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 09:25 PM »

Yeah, i know been playing WA for years since the game came out, However never competitively tho. i mostly enjoy playing VS AI.

I am new to this site tho...

:)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:21 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 05:23 AM »

You had irregular line breaks. Instead of letting the textarea jump to the next line, you manually pressed enter for new lines. It's all fine, we don't mind :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 07:50 AM »

You had irregular line breaks. Instead of letting the textarea jump to the next line, you manually pressed enter for new lines. It's all fine, we don't mind :)

Yes, i thought it would be easier to read, i could have clumped up it all in one messy package, However that would have made it

disgustingly painful to read.  ;D

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 08:14 AM »
Booby trapped crates are in W2, and never became a thing ever since, apparently nobody likes them

the homing weapons probably got removed due to balance issues, and some of these weapons are filling in the same purpose and usage that already exists, being the homing missile. also air strike is already a point-and-click weapon. also cluster trick exists

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 08:20 AM »
fixed OP with Grammarly cuz this was borderline unreadable for me

As someone who grew up with many of the Worms games, WA will always be my favorite game in mind. However, both the classic Worms United and Worms 2 have a special place in my heart since they had features that WA did not include for various reasons.

Worms United introduced us to exploding crates, Now many people hated it, and so did I at first, however, it grew on me eventually. Exploding Crates became one of my favorite features in both Worms 1 and 2, it's so sad it was removed in Armageddon. Now, I understand the hate for it, it sucks when you pick up a crate and it goes "Boom" in your face, I had that done to me in many games, however, it balances itself perfectly out when the same "Boom" can go to your enemy as well, so it gives players a high risk and reward feeling, and I love that. I feel disappointed it was removed from WA at the very least they should have made it an option to turn "ON" or "Off" so players can choose that option on crates, instead of removing it.

I miss the homing airstrikes in Worms 2, and the homing cluster bombs, those were fun weapons to play around with. AFAIK both of them were removed because many complained they were overpowered and required no skill to use. I strongly disagree with this sentiment due to these reasons. Both of them were very uncommon weapons in crates, making the rarity behind them in my opinion justified.

The homing cluster bomb needed to be used at a certain range for it to be useful in a situation, so it depends, even with the homing clusters they were not 100% accurate all the time.

Now the homing airstrike is a whole different story, Yes it was a very accurate weapon and you could easily kill worms with it, however, it was also very rare in crates, making it a unique or uncommon weapon, perfectly justified in my opinion. Especially the fact that super weapons were already included in the game, like the Magic Bullet, The Concrete Donkey, Mike's Carpet Bomb, and Sheep Strike, all those weapons were way stronger than the homing airstrike. So I don't buy the Homing Strike is too OP When super weapons like this exist. The point I'm making is, when someone is trying to determine what's OP and what's not, you also need to take into account how obtainable the weapon to a player is in the first place.

I also enjoyed the clone sheep weapon, that was cool... At least we still get the mad cows...

I also miss the exclusive worm death animation in Worms 2, I wonder why was it replaced, I love to see my worm jump in the air turning blue before exploding, that was always satisfying for me to watch...

I still play Worms to this day, it's so fun...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:22 AM by h3oCharles »

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 08:37 AM »
Booby trapped crates are in W2, and never became a thing ever since, apparently nobody likes them

the homing weapons probably got removed due to balance issues, and some of these weapons are filling in the same purpose and usage that already exists, being the homing missile. also air strike is already a point-and-click weapon. also cluster trick exists

Booby Trapped Crates existed since The original game Worms 1 (1995) release, And i agree with you i hated them too at first.
However i grew to love them, Since they provide a cool risk mechanic to the game, Since they are just as dangerous
to you as they are to your enemy.

And yes, the homing weapons were removed because of balance issues, however i find it strange because there are weapons that were even stronger then those like the donkey and carpet bomb, thats still in the game... Alas your not wrong tho.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:51 AM by Lifeform84 »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 08:20 PM »
I think the Worms 2 stuff should be in WA as scheme options too.

Booby Trapped crates are somehow like dud mines, but worse. I'm not a big fan of dud mines, because sometimes you plan an indirect attack with the mine, but it fails and ruin your plans that were dependent of that mine explosion. There are people who like them though, it's satisfying sometimes, as a relief sensation when your worm survives. There are schemes that explore the dud mines, though. It all depends of the scheme.

Booby Trapped crates can make players prefer to never risk getting a crate and makes the game more luck-based, but I agree that sometimes it's fun to watch someone exploding by touching a crate. I would enjoy to play a scheme with 100% Booby Trapped crates because that would be just like instant mines on the map, but they would spawn every turn and with 3.8's features lots of them could spawn on the map every turn. That would be challenging to navigate through the map.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:28 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2023, 09:02 PM »
I think the Worms 2 stuff should be in WA as scheme options too.

Booby Trapped crates are somehow like dud mines, but worse. I'm not a big fan of dud mines, because sometimes you plan an indirect attack with the mine, but it fails and ruin your plans that were dependent of that mine explosion. There are people who like them though, it's satisfying sometimes, as a relief sensation when your worm survives. There are schemes that explore the dud mines, though. It all depends of the scheme.

Booby Trapped crates can make players prefer to never risk getting a crate and makes the game more luck-based, but I agree that sometimes it's fun to watch someone exploding by touching a crate. I would enjoy to play a scheme with 100% Booby Trapped crates because that would be just like instant mines on the map, but they would spawn every turn and with 3.8's features lots of them could spawn on the map every turn. That would be challenging to navigate through the map.

I agree with you fully, However there is a big difference between a Booby Trapped crates and a dud mines, Dud Mines dont really benefit the player, besides saving them from exploding, With crates the player has a chance to get very powerful weapons, unless he goes boom !, And that makes it a very high risk but rewarding option. I think thats fair, because players need to think carefully when to use a worm to pick up crates. (Im not saying to make every crate Booby Trapped, i disagree with this) all im saying to to leave a small chance for it to happen (Between 5 to 10%), to make it a high risk and reward.

FYI You can actually trigger dud mines with Firepunch or Baseball Bat.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 09:51 PM »
FYI You can actually trigger dud mines with Firepunch or Baseball Bat.

That's in Worms 2. In WA dud mines will never explode again.

I said about 100% booby trapped crates thinking ahead of just allowing it or not like dud mines button works in WA. I think the ideal would be to players choose the % they want of booby trapped crates or dud mines according to the scheme they are developing. I think Worms 2 had this freedom for Scheme creators that WA removed a big portion of it to make it easier and faster to players modify schemes without creating something that the other players would feel surprised playing. WA has more standard settings.

I feel that Scheme makers should have all the freedom they want and players should just be aware of all the scheme settings, get used with the scheme. And this is something that would be good to have: players could check all the scheme settings, rules, and features while in game, by pressing ESC or something. This is something very important that WA lacks.

Edit: Dud mines could be exploded again in WWP and older versions of WA.

https://worms2d.info/Dud_mine_explosion
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 10:50 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Lifeform84

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 11:09 PM »
That's in Worms 2. In WA dud mines will never explode again.

I didnt know they took out dud mine detonation in WA, that really sucks...Its was such a fun feature, They should bring it back !
And yes, regarding The Booby Trapped Scheme points, i really agree with your take on this. i really support the idea of having
more control on scheme modification.

I feel that Scheme makers should have all the freedom they want and players should just be aware of all the scheme settings, get used with the scheme. And this is something that would be good to have: players could check all the scheme settings, rules, and features while in game, by pressing ESC or something. This is something very important that WA lacks.

100% I agree with you on this, that would make WA way better !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 04:59 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Boodle2003

• Freelance animator, graphic designer and voice actor

• United States United States
  • Nvrhd Nvrhd clan

• Catch me if you can!
    • View Profile
    • NCTStudio Official Website
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 08:32 PM »
Back then, I didn't know the graves can explode...
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.