Forums
May 04, 2024, 08:43 PM

Author Topic: Online Guide  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Rabbzz

Online Guide
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Just a thought that maybe someone should make a simple but effective online guide.  This would be in a word document(or anything easy to use) and put on your computer when you install the newest update.  It might help new people learn and know what the schemes being hosted are and the rules they need to pm in order to play.

I remember coming online for the first time and not knowing anything and being booted from most games because I didnt know the rules. Yes you can search knowledge base and find everything you need but alot of new players would know this. If there a document next to your .exe file saying 'Online Guide please read' it might help.

Just a thought...

Offline HHC

Re: Online Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Agreed.

Guess I could make one. A quick FAQ of some sort.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Yeah it would only really need the most played schemes (classic league) and also a few links to sites like TUS, knowledge base and other helpful sites.

It would just help new players get over that initial hump.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »
An online guide would be good, the thing is most new players dont even know there is a worms league, or in fact any worms related websites. If it were implemented into the help channel on AG that would be good.

*just read your post properly, yeh if it was implemented in the update this would be good. An introduction video would be even better http://wormtube.worms2d.info/81/wa_beta_showdown like the one cue made about the updates, but instead explaining the ways of worms online (rules, schemes, websites, etiquette, etc).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:21 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23 PM »
worms2d.info
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42 PM »
I think ropa didnt read all the post too
worm and learn

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Also, Auto made the beta summary video :) Cueshark did the narrating.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I think ropa didnt read all the post too

Of course I did, including you recommending someone to write up stuff that is already written in the link I posted.

If you guys think that a person who can't manage to find worms2d.info is going to actually read a doc file that installs in his install dir for the game, well, good luck I guess.

Either way, I also mentioned in my original post in this thread (but only if you have the ability to read between the lines) that the information is already there, so please do not write it again, if you feel like contributing, contribute to the wiki.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:37 PM by ropa »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I think old tutorial sites have become for a very simple reason: replays!
Text can be useful, but seeing something can be worth a thousand word. Perhaps more so if it's accompanied by explanation.

I took a little stab at hysteria just now: http://d1.worms2d.info/HysteriaTutorial.WAgame

Perhaps not the best quality of game, but meh, can't have it all :)

Offline avirex

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53 PM »
I think its a good idea, as nail said most new players wont know there is websites, especially beinb such an old game... They may not think there is still a strong community here..

Ithink ropa is just looking for another debate, dont mind him

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Have you guys tried joining the #Help channel lately? I don't mean with a snooper, do it from within the game.

I really think that's the way to go. CyberShadow is always happy to tweak the answers the bot gives and since it links to the WKB for most things already (as well as to websites such as TUS and the various country-specific community sites), you can best contribute by adding content to the actual wiki and by improving the articles that are already there. This one covers a lot of what I imagine you have in mind, for example:

http://worms2d.info/Etiquette

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38 AM »
That's the exact page I think I found to learn the schemes. Maybe we don't need the guide but even just a link to WKB when you first connect to wormnet might help. That or people should just use the #help channel.

Offline avirex

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34 AM »
i forgot about the help channel....

yeah, guess thats all ready taken care of then rabbit...  newbs get linked to specific web pages right there... 

nice idea anyway, should always help the newbs, they are what will keep this game alive forever

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20 PM »
should always help the newbs, they are what will keep this game alive forever

Agreed  :)