Forums
May 06, 2024, 02:33 AM

Author Topic: WA + Windows 8 = omg... it WORKS!  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Ray

Re: WA + Windows 8 = no deal at all.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 10:52 AM »
And darKz was being ironic.

Offline StepS

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 11:41 AM »
You're advertising PX. That's all.
Are you serious on what you have just said? :o
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline darKz

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Project X [...] started just fine!

Project X [...] it lauched!

You don't use exclamation marks, except when it's about how awesome PX is. Of course you're advertising. You weren't aware? Sorry.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline chakkman

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 12:04 PM »
He said it started just fine and then crashed. If that's what you call advertising then that must be pretty bad marketing. :) Anyway, i guess Cybershadow or whoever will be pretty happy to hear people's experience with W:A and Windows 8 so he can patch it up to run fine on the OS (he'll probably test it himself intensively tho i guess). And tbh, people can do much bla bla about Windows 7 staying forever and stuff but when Windows 8 will come everyone will get it anyway becuase it's something new. :) And people are into new stuff nowadays regardless of whether it's the biggest crap on earth or not.

Offline StepS

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Project X [...] started just fine!

Project X [...] it lauched!

You don't use exclamation marks, except when it's about how awesome PX is. Of course you're advertising. You weren't aware? Sorry.
You are a stupid idiot. There was no reason for me to "advertise" PX in any manner. I've just said as it was, and nothing more. If it was ColorFix which helped, I'd say about ColorFix. If it was RubberWorm which helped, I'd say about RubberWorm. Now please shut up and leave this discussion
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Anubis

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 10:08 AM »
He said it started just fine and then crashed. If that's what you call advertising then that must be pretty bad marketing. :) Anyway, i guess Cybershadow or whoever will be pretty happy to hear people's experience with W:A and Windows 8 so he can patch it up to run fine on the OS (he'll probably test it himself intensively tho i guess). And tbh, people can do much bla bla about Windows 7 staying forever and stuff but when Windows 8 will come everyone will get it anyway becuase it's something new. :) And people are into new stuff nowadays regardless of whether it's the biggest crap on earth or not.

Nope. Just lately Win7 could surpass XP on the market. So even when Vista was new it could never compete with XP just like Win7 could not at the beginning. After 2!!! (wow that's new isn't it?) it could finally surpass WinXP. I am not even defending Win7, I got it because modern games are about to change away from Dx9 and only support 10.

XP is 10 years old. Very new isn't it? :D

Since you are german here you go: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/news/betriebssysteme/2561167/windows_7.html

And since history always repeats itself, and since Win8 blatantly sucks like Vista did years ago I can safely assume that Win7 will stay for long. Win8 will probably not even compete with XP in the next 2-3 years not to speak of Win7.

OS are not like new iPhones or games, the company people I know are still freaking using XP in their offices.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:12 AM by DeathInFire »

Offline StepS

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 11:18 AM »
And since history always repeats itself, and since Win8 blatantly sucks like Vista did years ago I can safely assume that Win7 will stay for long. Win8 will probably not even compete with XP in the next 2-3 years not to speak of Win7.

OS are not like new iPhones or games, the company people I know are still freaking using XP in their offices.
I don't think so. I personally don't really like the new metro interface, however the changes made in the OS itself are awesome. New Windows Explorer with a lot of features (like a built-in ISO mount), new Task Manager, new BSOD, and also a lot of changes.
[...]

Offline chakkman

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 11:54 AM »

That's not because they think it is better though but because they're scared their software wouldn't be compatible with it or simply because they dread the costs/work of a change. Well maybe saying Windows 8 will be a success whatsoever is a bit wrong. :) Still convinced if it gets good critics it's gonna be a huge success though, also regarding how much new gear will be sold with Windows 8 pre-installed.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Well Anubis I'm sorry but I disagree with you.
The stat are based on the whole population including company that did not migrate on vista nor win7 because of global cost for what it adds and also the fact that old means stable. So they won't migrate if they don't have a specific raison.
On the other hand if you take them away I'm pretty sure stat are all different.
Mr anybody will buy a portable and won't change the OS. New computer will come with win8 and they won't change the OS. What steps does is really nice because it will help wa to have new players.

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 12:51 PM »
You are a stupid idiot.
calm down  :o

the company people I know are still freaking using XP in their offices.
well.. offices is offices, there impossible to use non-licence product. Thats why no1 wants to buy licence win7 for every computer since they have xp already x)

Offline Kangaroo

Re: WA + Windows 8 = no deal at all!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Runs like a dream on win98

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline StepS

Re: WA + Windows 8 = omg... it WORKS!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Today I ran windows 8 again. And what would I expect? The match started fine, without PX or anything, and got back to frontend well! The double buffering setting fixed the black screen, but I still don't know what fixed the actual app crash. Stay tuned!  ;)
[...]

Offline SpideR

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 05:23 AM »
I can't install wa from cd version, apparently the installation never begins, even if I install in compatibility mode.
At the first loading (getting ready for installation) as soon as it completes an screen prompts asking me if the program was installed correctly... but it never even started!
Can you help me?

First day with this os... It's easy but at the same time complex.
I had to google solutions for simple tasks... that sucks!

Btw, if I decide to go back to seven, is it possible for me to use another laptop of mine product key?

Offline j0hny

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Vgj StepS :) W:A has more than 14 years and still is for some, more than just a game :)
Maybe it's time to think about the touch screen? I wonder how would be play in W:A on the tablet  :-*
If you wanna play cup or something, Im at the email: lukaszmok21@gmail.com sound on my phone.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) \(ツ)/ (╯°□°)

Offline Husk

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30 AM »
As we know currently, WA doesn't work on Windows 8. It crashes once you start a match, and the errorlog isn't created too (because it is a Windows appstop error).
Me and Kawoosh later tried launching it with Project X, and guess what, it lauched! Most likely because of Project X's Direct X integration. However it crashes after a match, because the game must return to frontend.
I've installed Windows 8 myself and can give you the screenshots.

after some tries, it WORKS on Windows 8, without PX or anything! Double buffering fixed the black screen, but I still don't know what fixed the App Crash.

can I enable double buffering before running the game? and more importantly, where can I turn it on?

maximizing back to W:A causes white screen for 2-3 secs, does this happen to u aswell?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:49 AM by Husk »