Forums
April 23, 2024, 10:03 AM

Author Topic: Why as a community we should reform our leagues and centralize everything  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Chicken23

The community is scattered. We have so many different schemes and unique sites that support these schemes. We have TUS forums, we have discord. We are spoilt for choice but with little activity in any of them for the community size to really feel like a sense of achievement of victory in winning a league or tourney. The closest i've felt to feeling good about winning something was the first season of WL, and that was short lived for different reasons, but it never got a playoffs which some of us thought would happy. There isn't any issues with wormnet activity and games being played and plenty of skilled players and great competitive games to be found, but we need them to all be tracked in one place to make something bigger IMO.

I really think we need to reform the WA community and try to all come together in 1 central place.

The reason the classic leagues worked so well all those years ago was that there was nothing else, now there are loads of games to explore, which is fine, but the issue is too may leagues.

I think TUS, ONL, WL (heard rumours of a mole shopper ladder too?) should all join together for 1 global league, supporting all those schemes. And then perhaps we may have some form of monthly playoffs.

ps. This is only assuming for those who enjoy competitive leagues.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:25 AM by Chicken23 »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
I like the idea of unifying all the leagues into one global league.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:05 AM by Albus »

Offline h3oCharles

timezones go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline TheKomodo

I'm personally not keen on this idea, it must sound great to some people, but I know for a fact to others it's a horrible idea because i've had this conversation with many people over the years.

There are people who specifically distance themselves from communities like this one, where you have people spamming football most days in shoutbox swearing all the time, a certain person trolling the forums with nonsense political opinions, and even the occasional spout of racism. Things haven't been so bad the past year or so, but man some years ago this place was quite hostile for certain people if you didn't fit into the "cool group" like FoS or whatever, because you could be sure if you said something that those guys didn't like you would become targeted for their amusement, or simply be outnumbered by them in arguements.

People notice these things! They can easily see people being targeted and made fun of!

The way people attacked each other on the forums here in the past was horrible, and even I take part blame for that on occasion.

This is very important as well, there are people who enjoy rules and schemes setup a certain way and that conflicts with how other people believe it should be done.

Some people don't care about all this stuff and they just want an active league, they don't care about getting to know people, or how people behave, but there are a lot of people out there who do.

Also, I don't think the problem is too many leagues, you could have as many leagues as you want if you had enough people to support them.

I believe the main reasons are because the game has evolved so there are more schemes to learn and potentially become interested in, it's like choosing a career or hobby really, and the truth is that most people like to specialize in a few things, not everything.

Also, it seems to me these days people are a lot more casual online, back when we started playing in 1999, it was a lot cooler to meet people playing this game, more impressive, people would actually engage in conversation more and get to know each other because that's how you done things back then, today, in 2020, people don't engage in the same ways they used to, it's just another day to them, nothing special, these days people have massive expectations to draw their attention because of all the knowledge available.

Take that, and add it with other catalysts such as activity and the gaming industry in general because let's face it, these days most people aren't interested in a 21 year old Worms game when you have stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, World of Warcraft, Among Us, Fall Guys, and all these other popular titles being released like every week.

People like us, who have been playing a game pretty much religiously for 21 years, that's rare, I think that is very unlikely going to ever happen again with the younger generation, they are more and more focused with "the latest thing".

It's easy for you to say "support all schemes, support league activity", but honestly most people just don't care anymore, and they won't even respond with an answer, they will just ignore you because this message does not appeal to them at all in today's world.

I like that TUS is TUS, and CWT is CWT, and ONL is ONL, and you have WO and FTM and a2b and WL and then all these other websites. I like that each of them has their own little charm and personality.

Offline Korydex

Let's wait for 4.0 with rankings ^^

Offline angus

i agree Chicken23.... Bring it back like it was in 2012....And what happends with league status?? Why has been deleted the most active period from the status? I dont know who decide it, if it was a pool or whatever....Thats not the way things as to work in my opinion..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 06:30 PM by angus »

Offline Chicken23

perhaps Komodo and i certainly agree with points about shoutbox, political views and bullying. Perhaps some of those communication channels should be shut down.

From the past few months of having discovered discord I believe there is so much opportunity for a league to exist, there are lots of players of good skill and players willing to learn new schemes who want competitive games. WL in it's first season did really well, but Syc didn't want to run it anymore and Shyguy decided the scheme was flawed due to girder numbers and things soon died off. However if all those games in WL were in TUS, and all those ONL games were in TUS, or somewhere of extracting all the league games into 1 central location for the ultimate best wormer, more and more people would want to play.

I don't think activity and competition is an issue, its the fact that all our competitive games are being spread so thinly and there is no desire for 'pro' wormers to want to play when there isn't much to show of about being champion because of such a small pool of games.

There is a potential snowball effect that activity and competition could league to activity and competition, but at the moment we spread that over too many standings, ladders and websites. IMO.

Offline TheKomodo

And what happends with league status?? Why has been deleted the most active period from the status? I dont know who decide it, if it was a pool or whatever....Thats not the way things as to work in my opinion..

So, angus, the league stats have not been removed, they have just been hidden in a really awkward way that I don't even know how to access without using these links:

View old overall - https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-standings/e=1;s=overall

View old specific scheme - https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-standings/bng/?e=1;s=overall (if you want to look another scheme, just replace the name)

WL in it's first season did really well, but Syc didn't want to run it anymore and Shyguy decided the scheme was flawed due to girder numbers and things soon died off. However if all those games in WL were in TUS, and all those ONL games were in TUS, or somewhere of extracting all the league games into 1 central location for the ultimate best wormer, more and more people would want to play.

So, that paragraph, goes to show exactly some of the things I said.

People can't agree on how leagues and schemes should be played, so people split up and create their own thing.

Forcing people into one location will not change that, period.

Worms Armageddon has existed without an official governing body for League since it's creation, even when ranks were up they were pretty unmoderated afaik, easily manipulated as well. Without an official governing body, what do you expect?

I don't like how some of the IRC channel guys do things, they seem very elitist and ignorant in my opinion, which is why I was very against WL in the first place, I found out hULk was taking over which made me interested again, but then they added ZaR schemes which I will never take seriously, and a specific toxic, racist, sexist POS is very active there so I will stay away.

I don't think activity and competition is an issue, its the fact that all our competitive games are being spread so thinly and there is no desire for 'pro' wormers to want to play when there isn't much to show of about being champion because of such a small pool of games.

There is a potential snowball effect that activity and competition could league to activity and competition, but at the moment we spread that over too many standings, ladders and websites. IMO.

I've already addressed this issue already as well, we simply don't have enough people for Classic schemes anymore, Intermediate have their own place and it works, Mole Shoppers have their own thing, and it works, these people are not interested in playing other schemes competitively, you don't see tennis players competing in winter olympics do you and footballers suddenly playing rugby or volleyball.

We will never ever have the same activity we had before unless we have a massive rush of activity in people who enjoy competing as all-rounders, or enough players in each classic scheme.

If you want to increase activity, recruit some people in CKC, and start clanning! db have 6 very active members, we will play anyone in any scheme and will mix our roster so everyone gets a shot, no more of this picking and choosing schemes based on chances of winning and who our best players are crap.

If you want activity, play!

Offline Kradie

I don't like how some of the IRC channel guys do things, they seem very elitist and ignorant in my opinion, which is why I was very against WL in the first place, I found out hULk was taking over which made me interested again, but then they added ZaR schemes which I will never take seriously, and a specific toxic, racist, sexist POS is very active there so I will stay away.

There's a lot of people that do take ZaR seriously, unlike the ''elitists'' here on TuS. So there's no wonder the Worms community is so divided when we have SJWs like Komodo, who take the moral high ground all the time. A person who belittles others who does not fall in line to his narrative, a superiority complex if you will.

TuS is good for a few good reasons: Cups, tournaments, Maps, Schemes, files, and other miscellaneous stuff related to Worms.

TuS is pretty much unattractive in today's standard. This is something I've pointed on before though. Outdated design, confusing UI at first glance, rules are confusing, to many leagues, & too many schemes. Sure it may have worked in the past, but it isn't anymore. Only a few die hard competitive people plays, usually the same people.

WormsLeague on the other hand has a better design & UI which is more approachable. There aren't many leagues & schemes to choose from, it is pretty straight forward. Sure, WL has its cons such as that you have to choose rules per roper scheme.

If certain topics such as politics are to be shut down, I would want other certain topic to be shut down and removed such as religious & climate debate, just to name a few.
Although this is a game site dedicated for one game WA (mostly?). So why even have other boards? Such as ''off topic''? If you do not like the content just Ignore it.
This is why I like WL, there is no discussion platform, it is all straight forward! Game anyone? THE END.

;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:01 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline angus

There's a lot of people that do take ZaR seriously, unlike the ''elitists'' here on TuS. So there's no wonder the Worms community is so divided when we have SJWs like Komodo, who take the moral high ground all the time. A person who belittles others who does not fall in line to his narrative, a superiority complex if you will.

TuS is good for a few good reasons: Cups, tournaments, Maps, Schemes, files, and other miscellaneous stuff related to Worms.

TuS is pretty much unattractive in today's standard. This is something I've pointed on before though. Outdated design, confusing UI at first glance, rules are confusing, to many leagues, & too many schemes. Sure it may have worked in the past, but it isn't anymore. Only a few die hard competitive people plays, usually the same people.

WormsLeague on the other hand has a better design & UI which is more approachable. There aren't many leagues & schemes to choose from, it is pretty straight forward. Sure, WL has its cons such as that you have to choose rules per roper scheme.

If certain topics such as politics are to be shut down, I would want other certain topic to be shut down and removed such as religious & climate debate, just to name a few.
Although this is a game site dedicated for one game WA (mostly?). So why even have other boards? Such as ''off topic''? If you do not like the content just Ignore it.
This is why I like WL, there is no discussion platform, it is all straight forward! Game anyone? THE END.

;D

Have you tried THe DoGG template?

You have more post than games in your profile lol

well komo i think its a good person first of all, and if you respect older players and understand why they have such elitism maybe they take you seriusly...

Tus was a cool community first of...Made with cool peoples and cool peoples dosent care about elitims and shitts they just come play speak have a good time...

Offline TheKomodo

It's funny as f**k though.

The ONLY reason Kradie is playing that League is because they added ZaR schemes, before they done that, he barely even touched it.  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Kradie

It's funny as f**k though.

The ONLY reason Kradie is playing that League is because they added ZaR schemes, before they done that, he barely even touched it.  :D :D :D :D :D
No one is playing Darts.

It is good WR takes ZAR serious though. TuS laugh at it for 5 years, it is embarrassing tbh.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB