Forums
April 29, 2024, 03:01 PM

Author Topic: Why is WA so popular in certain continents/nations?  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Prankster

Re: Why is WA so popular in certain continents/nations?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I doubt torrent usage is connected with education.
are you sure? what about 11 year old kids? well I of course didn't say that "all" of them are badly educated, yet you often get to see flaming on #AG.

What exactly is the question about 11 years old kids? I think the two things are even less connected among children/teenagers since they (mostly) don't even have their own money to buy stuff. Now how does langauge come here? I only mentioned torrent usage.
Anyway, I didn't want to get into a flame war here, but yes, I'm quite sure about that. Maybe it's different in Russia.

Offline Free

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Go Finland!

Offline Casso

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Okay, that explains a lot. But for example, a country like Italy has brought in a wave of new players to this league in Ano, Angus, Casso, sbaffo, borotalco, Orange, easy and so on. There must be a specific reason for why they've discovered this game and this league, in comparision with for example their neighbours from France?

I can answer this question. In my opinion Communities contributed a lot to the "circulation" of this game. Many players have continued to play this game because there was a community that supported them and helped them. WA would die in 2-3 years without TUS.

I can give an example: 2 years ago Italy was 5th Country here: http://stats.worms2d.info/countries.txt because in that period Community of Worms Mania (the most important Worms Community in Italy) was very active and many players met there and were helped. In the last 2 years Worms Mania's admins were busier, users online decreased from 15-20 to 4-5 about at the same time.

Now you can notice that Italy has dropped to 11th place. (from 6,3 % to 2,7 %).

Online Sbaffo

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Okay, that explains a lot. But for example, a country like Italy has brought in a wave of new players to this league in Ano, Angus, Casso, sbaffo, borotalco, Orange, easy and so on. There must be a specific reason for why they've discovered this game and this league, in comparision with for example their neighbours from France?

I can answer this question. In my opinion Communities contributed a lot to the "circulation" of this game. Many players have continued to play this game because there was a community that supported them and helped them. WA would die in 2-3 years without TUS.

I can give an example: 2 years ago Italy was 5th Country here: http://stats.worms2d.info/countries.txt because in that period Community of Worms Mania (the most important Worms Community in Italy) was very active and many players met there and were helped. In the last 2 years Worms Mania's admins were busier, users online decreased from 15-20 to 4-5 about at the same time.

Now you can notice that Italy has dropped to 11th place. (from 6,3 % to 2,7 %).

yes, if i still play this game is thanks to TUS and Wormsmania, where i've found so many helps ,FAqs, know many players and other things. I guess people leave this game cause get bored since the 1st day he play it cause thinks that its hard. I don't, when i start something, i must finish it, but for WA i haven't any reason why i don't stop it :P

Offline StepS

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42 PM »
What exactly is the question about 11 years old kids? I think the two things are even less connected among children/teenagers since they (mostly) don't even have their own money to buy stuff. Now how does langauge come here? I only mentioned torrent usage.
Anyway, I didn't want to get into a flame war here, but yes, I'm quite sure about that. Maybe it's different in Russia.
lol man, its simple. only an educated person would buy the game, and an uneducated person would just download it, he would never buy something he can download, i don't see anything being complex in this sentence. yes, again, i didn't say that all of such users are like that (would be stupid if I did lol). but still there are, and the main point is that if you compare the percent of uneducated population from both legal and illegal spheres, it'll differ A LOT in the 2nd, to more than 95% compared to first. I doubt that, for example, taner and Godmax actually bought their games. if they did, they would most likely be educated then as they would have enough clue what buying a game is, what earning money is, what living a life is, what is good and bad, and this stuff. uneducated persons don't buy games. sorry but i cant explain it further, i thought it was pretty simple and obvious

ah well, if you still dont get it: by an uneducated person I mean someone often trolling/bullying/flaming in internet, or having intentions to do so, showing no respect, misbehaving and writing badly and other things, i hope you can describe all of this with one word. sorry for confusion
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:50 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Peja

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55 PM »
for different reasons many educated people dont pay for games. a well educated person would know this  ;D

Offline StepS

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01 PM »
for different reasons many educated people dont pay for games. a well educated person would know this  ;D
of course lol, and this is making the 2nd segment: illegal educated users which are quiet and don't shout on channels. they of course take the biggest portion but still a percent of uneducated people among torrenters is high, maybe moderate but not low at all.

i just can't understand what is wrong in the statement. i agree it's a bit exxagerated but think yourself, how many bad people are there from these illegal crap users? compare it with those who pay... you'll barely find a troll among those.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:07 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Prankster

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 10:07 PM »
lol man, its simple. only an educated person would buy the game, and an uneducated person would just download it, he would never buy something he can download, i don't see anything being complex in this sentence. yes, again, i didn't say that all of such users are like that (would be stupid if I did lol). but still there are, and the main point is that if you compare the percent of uneducated population from both legal and illegal spheres, it'll differ A LOT in the 2nd, to more than 95%. I doubt that, for example, taner and Godmax actually bought their games. if they did, they would most likely be educated then as they would have enough clue what buying a game is, what earning money is, what living a life is, what is good and bad, and this stuff. uneducated persons don't buy games. sorry but i cant explain it further, i thought it was pretty simple

As I said, it can be different in Russia, but in Hungary, education isn't connected with morals/ethics, nay, it's often the other way around. From learning test cheating methods in elementary school to the corrupt Student Union on universities, you may be taught morals in lessons, but in practice it's different.
So no, it's not simple at all from my point of view. I think I'm a person with an exceptional high moral sense, but I myself pirated the game as well. Sense and practice can be different too, by the way... Oh, and I am educated, I went to a good highschool, got admitted to the best hungarian universities. I study psychology at the moment.
Moral has many levels and I don't think pirating a 5 euro game or not tells much about a person.
No offense, but the connections you state here (where did you get that 95% from?) are very much stereotypical and simplified.

Offline StepS

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Prankster you missed this, please read the message again
ah well, if you still dont get it: by an uneducated person I mean someone often trolling/bullying/flaming in internet, or having intentions to do so, showing no respect, misbehaving and writing badly and other things, i hope you can describe all of this with one word. sorry for confusion

those only come from torrent downloads, they would almost never come from a legal purchase. this is the point, nothing else.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:11 PM by StepS »
[...]

Offline Prankster

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Prankster you missed this, please read the message again

Sooo, you're technically saying people with low moral have low moral? I can't argue with that, lol.

Offline StepS

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12 PM »
have to split my edits for you...
those only come from torrent downloads, they would almost never come from a legal purchase. this is the point, nothing else.
i just wish i said this properly before and sorry for all this confusion
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:17 PM by StepS »
[...]

Offline Prankster

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 10:21 PM »
have to split my edits for you...
those only come from torrent downloads, they would almost never come from a legal purchase.

Just like most of everyone else. It's statistics, I don't think you'd get any significant result if you'd try to compare the people who have original copies to those who pirated the game, as the two groups are not even remotely the same size.

Offline StepS

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24 PM »
ye ye, this is just my opinion and im glad i explained it properly now. in particular, in a game such as WA when the only legal option is an overseas CD this makes even more trouble.

now let's close this discussion
[...]

Offline Prankster

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Cheers. :)

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24 PM »
When this game launched it seemed like 80-90% of the users were from either the UK or USA/Canada, the remaining 10-20% being brazil, spain, france, and germany.  I still can remember the first time I saw a russian flag on wormnet 3 years ago and wondering what the hell flag it was.  Russians just didn't exist on the servers.  USA absolutely dominated total activity, I think here though, people have a good amount of money as a whole and there is a focus on upgrading to the newest and best, so WA was abandoned long ago by our USA community.