Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:43 PM

Author Topic: ZaR Wormpedia - History, info, etc.  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Kradie

ZaR Wormpedia - History, info, etc.
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Please enjoy :)

Introduction
Zook and Rope, (ZaR) is a Worms Armageddon scheme & community, developed by Kradie, sm0k and spleen17 back in early 2015. After Zar's initial inception, it quickly gained a following. To date, Zar is the biggest roping community of 100 members, & the biggest community on Worms Armageddon.

Zar is a hybrid of WA roper & w2roper. Featuring only Zook & Rope, devoid of any other familiar items and settings. The scheme is tough & relentless, it is not designed for the faint of hearts, but it is made to have fun, but as well to acquire a better consistency within oneself. It is meant to invoke confidence in the mind, & abolish fear of failing, and to become a more capable roper.

Zar can help player lower the dependence of parachute, and focus purely on minimalistic arsenal at disposal ''Zook & Rope.''  The goal is to gather people with the same mindset that favors the subtle fearless approach. Zar Roper, is one Zar scheme of many under the Zar's cataolgue of schemes that focuses on fun, focus and speed. Because of the Zar's subschemes, it has helped Zar to grow, and reach out to other ropers & enthusiasts alike.

History
In early 2015 on Worms Armageddon, three players: sm0k, spleen17, & Kradie made a game mode called ZaR Roper. The creative process of ZaR Roper started when sm0k and Kradie played a Roper. Kradie meandered on the notion why there hadn't been a popular rope scheme with no parachute. Soon after Sm0k showed Kradie an old version of Roper that was derived from the birthplace of rope games Worms 2. This scheme that sm0k showed is commonly known as ''w2roper''. w2roper was very popular in the early days on Worms 2. Though it quickly faded into obscurity in favor of an arguably a more refined version now known as Roper on the newer worms entries.

Apparently to the experience of both sm0k and Kradie: w2roper was arguably more difficult of its successor Roper. However it was not enough difficult for the two to enjoy its virtues. The duo began to tweak w2roper and added new Ideas to it. Each new Implementation helped shape the scheme into its own Identity. The scheme's weapon & tool Inventory was left only with one bazooka, and only one acrobatic mobility tool the ninja rope. From here on out the player spleen17 joined the creative process, and soon after the scheme came to be known as ZaR (Bazooka and Rope).

Immediately after the conception of the ZaR scheme, the trio created a community to solidify their crowning jewel in order to carry it into the future of Worms Armageddon. Ironically the name of this community came to be known as ''ZaR''. The group became an instant hit among ropers of WA, and gained a large following. Anyone who liked the scheme could join regardless of their skill level.

As time marched on, both sm0k and spleen17 became more preoccupied with real life priorities that required their attention. Kradie kept the train going forward, he recruited new members, created new ZaR schemes, and ZaR merchandises. To this date the ZaR community is the biggest rope group on WA with a little over 100 members. This is a huge accomplishment considering that the WA community isn't as big and active.

Zar Classic Scheme rules & setup:
2 worms per player (unless if it is FFA or 2vs2).
Normal roper rules apply. (CBA, KTL, AFR.)
Instant mines, including dud mines.
Destructible terrain ON.
No parachutes, zook and rope only.
12 second turns, 5 second retreat time
Firebombing from rope only is allowed.
Mine-knocking (shooting at a mine from rope only so it falls on a player) is allowed without CBA, so long as the zook itself doesn't do any damage opponent's Worm(s).
No blocking.
When the Sudden Death reveals itself & the gong sounds,  w2w replaces CBA.
Using super banana is legal... if you reach it...

Zar Classic tactics
Players having a tough time in Zar ''can'' always be the underdog unless if they try to turn the table against their suppressor. The key to this, is not to push yourself if there's impossible crate spawned in an inconvenient location. This can further your submissive position if pursuit it taken. Instead it is best to hide in inconspicuous place, normally a place where zook is hard to hit.
You can pursue difficult health crate at your own risk, but you can also lead the action to your newly exposed position. This is a risk factor, both players will not know where the next health crate going to spawn.
Sometime health crate can spawn behind a mine that hinders the player's ability to attain it, that's why sometime it is better to do nothing, or  reposition yourself. You can also knock the mine away from the crate that its blocking, or jab a mine onto another player with bazooka.

Map choice for Zar Roper,
It is recommended to use thin maps with little to no land feet. This is because, e.g if both right and left side have long and deep cavern, health crate ''can'' spawn within these subterranean areas. That's called a crate rape. That is a very unfortunate scenario if a player is on the opposite side of the map. Zar has successfully manage to define its map choice over time, without having complex crate raped maps. With thin walls, or parts of the island that can be destroyed to make a shortcut, it can compensate for short turn time, and thus eliminate some of the luck factor of crate spawn.
Then again, the right map is subjective, and a personal choice, based on skill & preference. 

Zar Subschemes
There are many genre of Zar that can be played, some deviate from Zar's original setup, that introduces weapons, tools & contraption such as; freeze, grenades, mines, skunk, pigeons, girders, terrain objects, & bridges. These elements that are incorporated into the subschemes are designed to offer an new & fun experience. It can be seen as a gimmick, but as a whole, it gives Zar a more dynamic foothold for people to thread into.

List of  noteworthy Zar Schemes
CaveZar
Xtreme Zar
Xtreme CaveZar
BridgeZar
Death Zar
Pro Zar
HangZar
Zar Zero
Big zar RR
Zar Surfer

CaveZar
CaveZar was sm0k's initial idea, & was introduced to Kradie. CaveZar is Classic Zar in a closed cave environment, featuring some to minor terrain objects that behaves as obstacles. In this mode, you can drown and fall out on the sides, only if the wall are breached.
The best tactical approach here, is to hide on the upper levels, in a crack, slope or tunnel, where a blast from a bazooka is tough to hit. You will need a good aim and be creative with the wind that is given to you.

Xtreme Zar
This edition of Zar is insanely difficult, and is recommended to play on a none-linear warmer map. In short, Xtreme Zar feat; 10sec turn time, 3sec retreat, no hot seat time, 6 oil drums, nukeclear fallout, freeze and skunk. You need 100% focus here to prevail, there's no time for multitasking in this mode. Pay attention to round time, to avoid hazardous infection of the nukeclear fallout.

Xtreme CaveZar
Xtreme Zar in a cave map with no walls on sides. Exiting the borders of the map will result in instant death.

BridgeZar
This version can be seen as CaveZar 2, a follow up to CaveZar. You play in a closed cave area on grass terrain, & with very few obstacles. There are no land on the bottom half of the map, only a long thin drawn line that acts as a bridge. Both opponents have 3 worms each with worm select, infinite bazooka, rope, & girder. The girders are not for blocking worms, but to patch broken bridge, or to shield a worm from imminent danger.

Pro Zar
This adaptation is like Zar Classic, with highest possible fall damage added. Depending on fall impact, a worm can lose a significant amount of health, or die instantaneously.  It is recommended to rope with confidence, because here, there are no mercy. Hide well, typical on the bottom of the map, or high in a difficult place, and pray that your opponent's aiming dexterity is weak.

DeathZar
This Zar variant feat sudden death from the start of the match. Water rise is set to low, and will continuously rise for each turn that passes. A standard roper map is applied here, 3 worems each player, & everyone must complete a wall to wall (w2w) cycle on rope before they can land their attack.

HangZar
All the usually Zar classic shenanigans are present in this version, with the added command /batty. You type this command in the host room before starting the game. This will allow players to hang from rope while idle, & during other player's turn. Batty mode offers new possibilities, ease of access from a hide, and more complex hide as well. Hides that can challenge their opponent's aim.

Zar Zero
Zar with ZERO (0) rope retreat, /batty command from host room enabled, zook, rope, and pigeon with lowest destructive power.  Careful where you attack from, you might hit yourself, and you might be easily exposed. You will be left hanging once you send your attack.

Big zar RR
BIG Z RR another take on Big RR, in which where chute is removed, and bazooka for retreat. Through gameplays with Kradie, people have stated that Big Zar RR is a hardcore version of the original version.

Zar Surfer
ZS is played on a two or a single figured stretched island, that floats over water, that gives room on the sides and under, for rope maneuvering like; pump, spikes, shadows, surfing and whatnot. Player must surf and get health crate in whichever order and than attack. Surfing is defined as 2 skims (bounce on water) max. In sudden death, player must surf and touch both walls in order to attack.

Reception
Critical reception were mixed, some tainted Zar as a blatant ripoff of WA Roper & w2roper, while some argued that Zar is a refreshing & fun take on the roping genre. Some even went as far and said that Zar is Hysteria's version of Roper. Despite the latter, the conservative riled against Zar & prevented its inclusion in to the main classic league.  However, Zar was admitted to the TRL (The Rotating League), through a community poll where the majority ruled in favor. Some players sees ZaR as a copy of other existing scheme, and therefore not the defnite version, while other suggests otherwise.

League
ZaR has failed to accumulate enough inquires for ZaR to be part of any league. ZaR has hosted its own cup and tournaments to certain avail, but recent ones failed because short on players. Although, other tournaments hosted by others outside ZaR were also low on players. The lack of competitive interest within ZaR community and possible overall league, leads ZaR to no where in the competitive space. Luckily it thrives heavily in the casual fun department.

Did you know?

April the 1st of 2016, spleen17 was removed from his rank as a leader and member of Zar. He was pretty upset about it, and later found out it was a April fools staged by Kradie.

The longest Zar membership of 1438 days goes to Tomi. The shortest membership of 7 days goes to Sock, excluding spleen17's with 4 days of membership due to TUS technically issues.

The only legacy Zar members that hasn't quit is kraafty, jh0nny, & XanKriegor.

During the 2016 US Election, Kradie made a bet with TheWalrus, if Donald Trump would win, Walrus must join Zar and be a member for one year. Walrus left half through, and later said he would join again. Kradie told Walrus; you only join if you want, the bet doesn't matter anymore. Walrus did not join again.

Kradie never understood why there wasn't any popular rope schemes that didn't include parachute.

Zar was going to feat only 1 mine, but upped to 3 and later 5.

As of now, total of 25 people quitted Zar.

Some Zar members were against having Zar in TuS classic league.

During the early days of ZaR, people thought it would die after 2 weeks or so, due to boredom.

Csongi is a undercover member of ZaR, and also is SSS (Super Sexy Star).

Adnan is the only member that says ZoRRo instead of ZaR. It is also his secret language that he speaks & provokes on others. It is theorized to be a calling for mating ritual.

The term ''Zarred'' is used in ZaR when parachute was SUPPOSED to be there in other schemes and save you. Free fall & collision does not apply.

The definition of Zarring means that you are actively playing a ZaR scheme. ''Hey bro, let's zar?'' ''Nah I am currently zarring atm''.

What people have said about Zar

By Dennis'FD
''I like Zar & the community, normally I hate roper''

By XanKriegor
''i cant even remember when i been joining regular roper last time ''

By Zippo
''too much sex in zar games''

By doc
''ZaR definetely makes me feel like this game should live for a long time,without communities it's really a mess. When ppl join your games they are guranteed a good time. ''

By blitz aka dibz
''I like it, hope others play also. I'm pretty used to it.''

By x'Titan'x
I think it's very cool but pretty hard and challenging.This mode plays really cool skullful players''

By Pinboy
Zar is the  mode that is very skill intensive and because of the lack of a chute, the strict timer, and the destructable landscape it is hard for new players to get into this mode because it takes alot of skill, alot of improvisation on the rope, and insane amount of speed and obviously knowledge of shooting the bazooka from the rope

By Sensei; ZAR is not my jam and could never see it as great competitive scheme due to 0 sec mines. Also being chuteless with lower amount of time and having zook as only weapon which can get pretty nasty considering random winds. Tho, some proven rope masters of community enjoy this strip down variant of a Roper scheme.. So I'm going with the green light! - Sensei

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:49 PM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline rU`

Re: ZaR Wormpedia - History, info, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Enjoyed 8)
LaW`T0WER , LoR`T0WER at wwp 2004-2007

TdC`Leroy , cFc`Leroy at w:a 2005-2008

Played leagues: CBC/CBS, FB, XTC, LW, TUS.

Offline Csongi

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:55 AM »
What about the longest Zar undercover member? :(
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." - Robert Orben

[avirex`mm] ill rape ur mother
[avirex`mm] twice in the same night
[avirex`mm] and she will ask for a third
[avirex`mm] cuz she's a whore

kins> Don't let girls ruins ur tus games :)

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:38 AM »
How about my "ZoRRo" dialogue? :D

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 03:15 PM »
What about the longest Zar undercover member? :(
How about my "ZoRRo" dialogue? :D

Ladies it is now fixed, it is under the Did You Know part :P

Please be satisfied now XD
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 03:09 PM »