Forums
May 03, 2024, 09:09 AM

Author Topic: Getting strict about Cups  (Read 4332 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Getting strict about Cups
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Some of the people insist on hosting a cup, then abandon their cup, or take it so soft to players that doesn't play, or specially they do not play their own games!
This is ruining our cups reputation.

We'll set deadlines for all the cups and we'll be strict about people playing them or not. Specially mods, who can't handle their cup, they may never host another cup.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline pr

Re: Getting strict about Cups
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Some of the people insist on hosting a cup, then abandon their cup, or take it so soft to players that doesn't play, or specially they do not play their own games!
This is ruining our cups reputation.

We'll set deadlines for all the cups and we'll be strict about people playing them or not. Specially mods, who can't handle their cup, they may never host another cup.

try to handle big cup, MI? we can lose our admin... XTS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 XD

Offline beer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43 AM »
big cups = 1 year cup = 50% free wins = fail.
as beer said XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
bettr small cups

drama queen iz back

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12 PM »
we'll be strict about people playing them or not.

How?

I can see how taking away an inactive mod's status helps some, but how do you plan to take care of inactive players? By the time they have proven to be inactive and may be replaced, the deadline is almost over and the replacements hardly ever finish their games either..

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:06 PM »
That's why TUS has HHC to be super-global-cup-admin-admin and work out a super-duper workaround for the problem. Am I right? ;o

Offline pr

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17 PM »
bettr small cups
i'd admit cups having 16-24 ppl only if there are good players registered. I don't want to have another ftm noob tourneys here.

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:24 PM »
That's why TUS has HHC to be super-global-cup-admin-admin and work out a super-duper workaround for the problem. Am I right? ;o

almost..  ::)

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 02:07 PM »
I hosted and abandonned a cup, it was the sR roper cup.
But i abandonned because no1 played the games :( I sent many mails to remind it, also set a deadline but this had not effect.

And indeed it's very simple to join a cup, just click on a link.

Maybe you should make a system that remove points for people that suscribe to a cup but dont play it !

Offline beer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 02:24 PM »
bettr small cups
i'd admit cups having 16-24 ppl only if there are good players registered. I don't want to have another ftm noob tourneys here.
id prefere, active cups with 'decent'(skills) ppl, that bigest cups with the 'legendoldasses' (XD) that take 1 year. thats what ill alwys think.
i hf with ppl that play now!!in tus, for fun, w/e, not with who played 2 years ago. also i understand ur point, but..
I hosted and abandonned a cup, it was the sR roper cup.
But i abandonned because no1 played the games :( I sent many mails to remind it, also set a deadline but this had not effect.

And indeed it's very simple to join a cup, just click on a link.

Maybe you should make a system that remove points for people that suscribe to a cup but dont play it !

its a pvt doesnt look so bad, even if it take long..

drama queen iz back

Offline GodiTo

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Well....There is a voting system for the MOD, what is a good idea. Everyone should vote for the mod (who is in the cup), and after see how is he doing his job. (Of course maybe it won't work, or it's crap due to inactive players^^)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I havent even looked at the cup section of the website. Too busy happy with the other features of the site.

I may take at look at it tho... i do enjoy knock out tournies..

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46 PM »
How about, when signing up for a cup you fill out a section with the dates and times that you can DEFINATELY play.

E.g. MON TUE WED THUR from 22:00 to 03:00 GMT

The system can then match corresponding times randomly. Not all pairings will be able to be made with corresponding times, but these can be sorted out and compromises made.

Most ACTIVE players on here can play on at least 3 days of the week, dont deny it!

You must be avaliable on at least 1 day within 1 week of the first round of the tourney.

What I mean by this is that all the games must be played within 1 week of each round starting.

Dont sign up to a tourney if you know your not going to be around when it starts. If its a big tourney, dont register if your going on holiday 2 weeks into it.

If players fail to play their games at the allocated times that they already AGREED they could make, then they get a strike. If they get two strikes then they are banned from all cups for the rest of the season.

What do you think? Hope you understood it all!
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:16 AM »
NAiL those are good ideas. But it's not possible system pair people with their time. It is more complicated. Because people finally meet each other at knockouts and at each stage they play with different one.

In all the cups I've played, I have never asked people for their time. When I sit at my computer I leave snooper on and they find me or vice versa.

A cup should have a decent life, it starts and it must end in a reasonable time. If your favorite scheme cup lasts too long, it will discourage you to join another one next time.

I like the way dmitry85 handled his 2 Team17 cups. We should respect deadlines more and
I think -5 points for any game you don't play.

DarkOne and I will be checking all the cups.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26 AM »
I like the way dmitry85 handled his 2 Team17 cups. We should respect deadlines more and
I think -5 points for any game you don't play.

True about dmi, he's a good mod.

The changes sound good MI, though with -5 pts it's hard to stay in the positive numbers (ratingwise). I think -1 or -2 will be enough to encourage people to play their games.  ???
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:28 AM by HHC »

Offline GodiTo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Nice ideas NAiL, also MonkeyIsland.
Hope "we" (mostly MonkeyIsland / Cup Moderator) can handle well.