Forums
May 07, 2024, 01:21 PM

Author Topic: Classic league is not classic!  (Read 6316 times)

Offline JayX

Classic league is not classic!
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:23 AM »
Ahh attention grabbing headlines.. gotta love 'em

Not a complaint here at all before I get started, but just something I wanted to open for discussion :)

I was thinking the other day while playing classic league that (to me at least) the inclusion of Hysteria in there was an odd choice when older and more 'classic' if you like schemes like Boomrace, WFW are not included.

Again not a complaint and this is in no way asking for things to change, I simply like discussion :)

But to me Hysteria is not really a classic scheme at all and by (at least my standards) is not even that old of a scheme. Boomrace is nowhere near as popular as Hysteria and I'd be the 1st to admit that.. but it certainly is more 'classic' imo

Why would you say that is? I agree 100% with all the other schemes in the classic league.

Discuss  :D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:24 AM by JayX »

Offline TheWalrus

Re: Classic league is not classic!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:44 AM »
hysteria is not classic.  signed.

Offline Crazy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:03 AM »
You guys have been away from WA way too long. Hysteria is celebrating its 5th year as a scheme early next year, so in my opinion it is to consider as a classic scheme, even if it is not as old as the other schemes. What is the definition of a classic scheme anyway?

Like you point out JayX, its way more popular then boomrace and walk for weapons, I think that factor should be valued more then what is the most classic scheme. It is also what the new generation of players is most familiar with. I`m not a big fan of the scheme, but I think it should stay as it is ^^
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:45 AM by Crazy »

Offline Almog

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:25 AM »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic
"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality"
Perfect example, timeless, like intentionally plunking worms to try and claw turn advantage to avoid telerape.  I've embraced WxW, after some initial qualms, but i will never embrace a theme that rewards plunking one's own worms.  I admit im bad at hysteria, but its the only one of the schemes i don't want to be good at because of it's off-kilter style.  And im talking about all the schemes, free league included.  Get Frank, of course, is not included in this equation.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Well, JayX, you are right about the scheme not being as old as other schemes in the Classic League, true point. First I didn't understand why it'd be included in the Classic League either.

I didn't really like the scheme either to be honest, to me it seemed like less-skilled players were able to take you, because of it's odd gameplay. But once you get the hang of it and learn to live with this so called off-kilter style and you can manage to avoid these situation and instead making advantage of them, I think you'll start to like the scheme - just like I did. :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59 AM »
And when Ray says that about Hysteria, you have no other way but knee to Hysteria.
(hint for Ray: No it is NOT sarcasm, it is NOT making fun you, It's just what it is!)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rok

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Perhaps a better fitting name for the league would be "Overall league" or something like that. Hysteria perhaps really doesn't fit in the definition of "classic", but being classic (as in having only the oldest schemes) isn't leagues intent. It's intent is to offer schemes that are popular among the wormers and that define a wide range of different skills. We named it classic and the name stuck. Hysteria is popular (it's not by itself a good scheme for 1vs1 league matches, IMO, but that's different story) and it requires somehow unique skills. Therefor it fits in Classic league, or however it should be called.

(btw: Ray, at some point, loved and hated just about every scheme there is :))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:08 AM by Rok »
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:08 AM »
And when Ray says that about Hysteria, you have no other way but knee to Hysteria.
(hint for Ray: No it is NOT sarcasm, it is NOT making fun you, It's just what it is!)
It is funny for sarcasm :D But nice to say otherwise, I'm honoured. *-* I guess you meant my rather conservative personality, heh.

Offline JayX

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 01:32 PM »
You guys have been away from WA way too long.

Lol you make us sound like such a bunch of old men dude :D

Don't make the mistake of thinking TUS is WA, I am new to TUS sure but I have always been on and off active pretty much since the games release. Forging Style And Destruction since 1935!

Like you point out JayX, its way more popular then boomrace and walk for weapons, I think that factor should be valued more then what is the most classic scheme.

Totally agree mate, but if it is going to be about popularity then it should be called "the Popular League" Team 17, BNG, Shopper, WXW, RR etc are classic schemes. For example if Golf or Mole Shopper became really popular would that be added to the Classic League?

Well, JayX, you are right about the scheme not being as old as other schemes in the Classic League, true point. First I didn't understand why it'd be included in the Classic League either.

I didn't really like the scheme either to be honest,

Well, don't get me wrong, I like Hysteria, it's a cool scheme and its popular. And sure, we can reference that wiki article.. but the fact is it just doesn't apply in this case I don't think as there is no overall governing body to regulate what the worms community as a whole considers to be classic (see classic cars in the wiki).

The schemes in Classic league are all of a certain type except one.. Hysteria. They are the originals, the classics! the games that were here long before many of us logged onto AG for the 1st time. Those are the true classics!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:35 PM by JayX »

Offline Random00

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I don't think you're right there. It was the same with Shopper and wxw before. They were both added to the classic/overall league (iirc wxw was added in fb as an alternative style for shopper; this was transfered to tus, and later in tus these 2 schemes got seperated, because it's simply 2 different schemes) after being very popular in WNet.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Hysteria is popular and playable enough to be part of the classic league!

I dont like hysteria, but I see the truth!
worm and learn

Offline Peja

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:33 PM »
 Get Frank, of course, is not included in this equation.

your just sad cause frank owned you several times ;D
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline JayX

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Hysteria is popular and playable enough to be part of the classic league!

I dont like hysteria, but I see the truth!

Your missing the point mate.

I'm not arguing that Hysteria is popular, I'm not arguing whether Hysteria is a fair balanced scheme etc or not.

I'm simply saying that next to schemes like BnG, Roper etc Hysteria just doesn't sit right for me.

Is it a good scheme? sure why not
Is it a fair scheme? again sure.. whatever

Is it a classic scheme? Hell to the motherflipping no it isn't! (in my opinion :D)

Again there are no right or wrong answers here (except all opinions that go against mine) this is just a discussion :)

...a discussion that you are all wrong in xD

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 09:19 PM »
hysteria should be raped a burned imo