Forums
May 10, 2024, 02:27 AM

Poll

Did you like the new scheme? (please only vote if you were in the cup)

I liked this scheme better than the official TUS hysteria scheme.
5 (31.3%)
I like the official TUS hysteria scheme better.
6 (37.5%)
I like both schemes the same.
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Experiment results  (Read 2686 times)

Experiment results
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:27 PM »
We can't have experiments without results, can we? :) A while back, I started a cup to check if a new variation helped solve some of the things that are generally complained about.
If you didn't participate in the cup, please don't vote in the poll, I want a real representation of what cup participants think of the scheme :)

If enough people prefer the experimental scheme, I'll host another cup for more people at some point.

Offline Chelsea

Re: Experiment results
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39 PM »
both schemes are ok :P

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:31 PM »
The scheme we used in the cup is awesome! It made it so piling another worm when you had worm advantage was a gamble, which made it way more fun to me. I loved the sweat of waiting to see if the pile worked or if he would just kill me :P It really cut down on the tactic of just drowning or killing a worm. I believe this is how the scheme originally should have been.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44 PM »
This experiment avoids telecows, this becomes the game hard...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I should try this out. Is this scheme supposed to be played with more worms though, like 6? That seems like a necessary feature since people will now be willing to take those easy kills at the start.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:01 AM »
I should try this out. Is this scheme supposed to be played with more worms though, like 6? That seems like a necessary feature since people will now be willing to take those easy kills at the start.

No still 4 worms. Don't want easy kills at the start then use a map that doesn't provide those easy kills. This scheme has actually made me enjoy hysteria and want to play it. This coming from a roper who only roped for over 8 years without playing another scheme.

Its like bng plus hysteria on crack. I love it.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52 AM »
I thought the point of being able to pile was the counter to having very bad placement, for example, 2 or more of your worms die 1st turn, if you can't pile because fear of random turn aren't you at a disadvantage? But I was thinking, even when you have 1 worm, could you still pile? Does the random turn order mean a different worm each time? Or has there been situations where the same worm has 2 turns? I've never played a random turn scheme before it sounds fun.

I ain't disagreeing or anything, this scheme sounds interesting but I have a few concerns about disadvantage from bad placements, could I get a few opinions please? I might host a few Tournaments with this scheme.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Piling is still possible, but with this scheme, it's not the dominating force behind the game :)
Bad placements are a disadvantage in the current scheme too, though. You have terrible luck if your worm isn't placed near water for example.

In random turn order, basically there are turn cycles. In every turn cycle, all of your worms will have a turn.
So if you have 4 worms, when your first turn starts, the worm order is determined for 4 turns, for example: 3-1-4-2.
In each turn cycle, all of your worms will have had a turn. (so turn cycles like 4-2-3-4 aren't possible, because 1 hasn't had its turn)
After this turn cycle is over a new turn cycle will start :)

basically, this means piling is still possible. If you have 3 worms and your opponent has 4, you just have to pay more attention to your opponent's turns.
For example, if Worm 4 has a turn and then the next turn, it's Worm 4 again, you know a couple of things!
1) That last turn is the start of a new turn cycle
2) because of that, you know that the next 3 turns will be for worm 1, 2 and 3 and only after that will Worm 4 get a chance to do something.

If you decide to pile worm 4, it's still no guarantee that it'll work, but it's a pretty safe bet, but considering the original thought behind hysteria was complete and utter chaos, I don't think that's a bad thing :)

Offline Husk

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00 AM »
And I believe we saw much less jetpack-plop-suicides with this scheme than the current tus scheme: https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/game-77191/

I don't know about you guys, but I'm annoyed by all the jetpack-plop-suicides in hysteria

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:17 PM »
No still 4 worms.

What do you mean, still? As far as I know, Hysteria is supposed to be played with 8 worms a side in both 1v1 and 2v2.

Does anyone know who decided to change that?

Offline franz

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I'm annoyed by all the jetpack-plop-suicides in hysteria

I can understand sometimes going for some nice grave damage with a 5hp worm, but all the suiciding of 30+hp worms is counterproductive in my eyes. I wouldn't call it annoying though.. more power to them if they think it's best.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40 PM »
No still 4 worms.

What do you mean, still? As far as I know, Hysteria is supposed to be played with 8 worms a side in both 1v1 and 2v2.

Does anyone know who decided to change that?

it was the people. there were more people that didn't know how many worms were to be used and thus used the default, eventually, the ignorants took over, and as always, people here are doing nothing to change it.

Either that, or it was the scheme ninja, you know, the guy that stole all those dynos from the ropers and then took the worm selects from the team17ers.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline avirex

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52 PM »
hahahahah the scheme ninja.... yaaaahh, hes striking again!

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I'm quite surprised by the results, I must say :o All I got was positive replies, but perhaps some people were just being nice to me when answering :)
Anonimity in votes helps getting the real picture out, I suppose

That's a good thing, isn't it? More showcase material :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 05:58 AM »

This will limit the game to shots => Better BnGer would have a better chance of win than before.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.