Forums
April 28, 2024, 12:46 AM

Author Topic: Two suggestions regarding TUS Cups.  (Read 1802 times)

Two suggestions regarding TUS Cups.
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:16 AM »
First: How about limiting the ability to host host several public cups to only one. This way we may get a healthy variety of moderators and less waiting time for mods, that have no cup running already, but let's say one Throsti takes up all the space with three cups. No offense to Throsti.

Second (and far more important): Have you every thought of including a double elimination bracket for the play offs? I don't mean to remove the standard KO stage, but enabling the moderator to choose between them both for every cup in particular. In my opinion double elimination bracket is far superior in terms of fairness. By fairness I mean that in the standard brackets sometimes the two best players of the tournament square off in the round of 16 already and one of them has to go, despite that he probably deserves at least the silver medal. With the double elimination bracket one is not eliminated after one loss only, he can still fight his way to the final through the loser's bracket. In short: the probability that the three medals are taken by really the best three players of the cup are much higher.
If you don't know how exactly the DE bracket works you can either google it or ask me for a more detailed description.

Offline Throsti

• I am just Throsti

• Poland Poland
  • Pn Pn clan

• PaweÅ‚ Abramowicz.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook.
Re: Two suggestions regarding TUS Cups.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:59 AM »
First: How about limiting the ability to host host several public cups to only one. This way we may get a healthy variety of moderators and less waiting time for mods, that have no cup running already, but let's say one Throsti takes up all the space with three cups. No offense to Throsti.

Second (and far more important): Have you every thought of including a double elimination bracket for the play offs? I don't mean to remove the standard KO stage, but enabling the moderator to choose between them both for every cup in particular. In my opinion double elimination bracket is far superior in terms of fairness. By fairness I mean that in the standard brackets sometimes the two best players of the tournament square off in the round of 16 already and one of them has to go, despite that he probably deserves at least the silver medal. With the double elimination bracket one is not eliminated after one loss only, he can still fight his way to the final through the loser's bracket. In short: the probability that the three medals are taken by really the best three players of the cup are much higher.
If you don't know how exactly the DE bracket works you can either google it or ask me for a more detailed description.

>>>Man. You can host three cups too and take up all space with three cups.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07 PM »
People are free to host as many cups as they want :) I'm thinking about giving some cup mods priority, though. HHC's cups tend to few be very quick for example and you have fully restored my faith in intermediate players actually finishing their cup in a reasonable time :)
If somebody is spamming cups, I reserve the right to slam the door in their face, of course.

I like the idea of double elimination in them knockouts, though,but to be honest, there are even more possibiliti available, like the Amsterdam system, swiss system (perhaps this one won't work too well with the way cups are played, but they could work with tourneys.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:49 PM »
You bet them inter players play in time, else they have to feel the wrath of Jakk0.

As long as I am concerned the more different brackets for POs the merrier.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:56 PM by Jakka »

Offline nappy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Double elimination bracket is very popular in the gaming world, so count me in its bandwagon.

Offline Dario

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Yey! double elimination, I've been wanting to go for one of those for a long time now.
Momentarily not playing TUS league games.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Some time passed and I don't see any negative feedback about DE thingy so far. May I ask the adnimistrative staff now whether this is something that's going to find its place on the to do list or shall I abandon the idea?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:08 PM »
ABANDON THE IDEA!

I'll add it. Also DarkOne's "crazy" patterns.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:55 PM »
You only call it crazy, because I told everyone about your moon idea, admit it!

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Kewl.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Double Elimination <3
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:59 AM »
:-* Double Elimination too xD

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Also pairing system has to be improved. One thing that bothers me the most is unability for seeding. Other than balancing out players based on experience, its gonna be handy to manually mix players based on clans (considering lazy "smart pair" wont be perfect by then). 2 seeds should be enough for a 3-player group and optionally 3 seeds for 4-player group (favourites in seed 1; tad less experienced in seed 2; others in seed 3) wouldnt be bad. Its kinda drama-sensitive feature but its worth it. To get rid of abusers who dont like to be in trouble in their group, that option should be given to trusted people.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:32 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Oh yeah, there is indeed a great need of seed pots depending group size or something with similiar purpose. I support that idea. Any more bright ideas, so MI will have to creat a whole new system from the scratch? ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:34 PM by Jakka »

Offline HHC

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I suppose it's up to the mod if he wants to 'seed' or not.

Part of me thinks it's a bad idea, cause I like when there's a tough group, even when I'm in it xD
On the other hand, I could make a standings for my aerial tourneys and make a seeding based on that, would be nice  :)