Forums
April 26, 2024, 12:42 PM

Author Topic: R.I.P Robin Williams...  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P Robin Williams...
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 06:00 PM »
When an American celebrity dies, everyone gets sad, especially the people from places like Gaza because they see the rest of the world clearly doesn't give a shit about them.

RIP Robin Williams

Yeah, it's all about him being american and not about being a super mainstream actor that has done movies for all ages or the fact it was suicide.

Far more than one person commits suicide a day, he just happened to be famous.  All of a sudden, everyone cares about depression and suicide... and then they'll forget caring when the next major celebrity story rolls by.  The death of Robin Williams is surely sad for anyone who was a fan of him, but there's a major disproportion of news exposure between serious, large scale travesties in the world and the universe of celebrities.  Social media and news outlets were instantly dominated by this Robin William's story, and will continue to be dominated for weeks to come.  Even the worms league is covering it lol.  All this sympathy and emotional outpouring for one person, meanwhile, how many people in Africa, Gaza, Ukraine, etc... have to die for people to care on the same level?  Of course him being American means something, our planet is peppered with American influence

What context are you talking about?

If you really think that here in Europe the death of Robbie Williams gets more exposure than Gaza et al... well, you're awfully wrong. There's Gaza everyday in the news here, and we only go a comment about Robbie Williams the day it happened.

American media is a different animal, they'd probably give more exposure to the death of Skittles than a war at the other part of the world that they're financing.

If Keanu or Crowe died on similar circustances it would be the same, and they're not american.

The only reason there's a thread here is that apparently Komo is a die hard fan, nothing else...

There's plenty more European influence globally, mind.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:02 PM by Aerox »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Robbie? ropa, you silly person.
It's been a bad few months for comedy, since Rik Mayall died recently as well. Starting watching The New Statesman because of that, fun show.

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Yeah you're right, Western media has field days over the most meaningless shit.  I should have said the only people who get more upset than AMERICANS at a celebrity death are Gazans because they see how much US really cares about them, etc...  I for one don't want my taxes funding a genocide in Gaza, but a scary percentage of people here don't even realize we back Israel, but they could tell you what their favorite celebrity had for dinner last night in a heartbeat.  There's Gaza stuff and other world stuff every day in US media, too, but I guess my point is people ultimately don't care about it because they don't have to worry about the conflict here at home and something like a celebrity death is more appealing to them because they're familiar with the person, etc... 

Just disregard my troll posts, seems worms always brings out the passive aggressive in me lol
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline Alien

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 07:30 PM »

Spoiler! View

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Came across this comic strip today on Facebook thought i'd share it, I can relate to it a little bit:

Offline Anubis

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Which part of the comic can you relate to?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Mainly the button, as sometimes in the past I felt like I didn't want to exist but couldn't bare the thought of suicide, generally feeling depressed because of things other people would do or say.

I've been known to tell some people if there was a button to just vanish this entire planet i'd push it...

However, I am very happy now and glad I am alive :)

Edit: Any post that goes off-topic, or mocks any other post by any other person, will be deleted immediately, as you will have already noticed, I do not tolerate or act on trolls anymore.

Offline nino

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 02:56 PM »
RIP RW

iam not a troll btw.

Ae komo.
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.