Forums
April 29, 2024, 06:07 AM

Author Topic: EAC 2013 - Smalltalk  (Read 15121 times)

Offline SPW

Re: EAC 2013 - Smalltalk
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 03:14 PM »
The site will be launched tomorrow at 20:00 gmt..
This also means the pairings will be announced at this time and the first matchday can be predicted :)

looking forward!  :)

by the way, dont play games before Sunday 30th June 20 GMT. Its obvious, but now its even written.

Offline JohnMcClane

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 07:57 PM »
The site will be launched tomorrow at 20:00 gmt..
This also means the pairings will be announced at this time and the first matchday can be predicted :)

Cool!

Offline SPW

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 08:06 PM »
3, 2, 1...  ;D

Offline SPW

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Random00 vs Mablak first round!!!  :D

Offline Random00

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 08:17 PM »
schedule is available here: http://www.2013.eac-wa.com/index.php?page=schedule
also, check your mailbox to get your password and login to start predicting ^^

Offline Ray

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Found a bug!

You can vote to yourself. :(
Also, cookies are not stored well, if you are logged in on the site with www. prefix, you are not logged in without it, and vica-versa.

EDIT: okay, I see that the rules have been changed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:52 PM by Ray »

Offline Crazy

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Random00 vs Mablak first round!!!  :D

Yeah, that's very... convenient :P I feel the need to let this out in the open, that schedule of Random looks super, super rigged!! He's facing Mablak in the first round, at the best possible time when Mablak is at his weakest point. There was a 6 percent chance of that happening. Furthermore, Random's drawn with the top-3 of last years final table in the next three rounds. All of them having been quite inactive in the past few months. You usually need many games under your belt before performing at toplevel. What I mean is, they will probably be playing on a more stable, high level later on in the tournament. Crash is a mess right now, everyone can see that. To finish it off, SPW is facing Mablak in the last round, the way I see it as a last chance to help out Seb if needed.

I'm not trying to kill the nice atmosphere and positive energy that's been around in this tournament, but I feel it is better to be open about this. In this way people will post their opinion and discuss it, rather then talking shit behind each others backs. Am I the only one who reacted at the schedule when seeing it for the first time? I could be analyzing it too much. Just seems like there's a dead fish here and it smells really bad. Am I rude and/or disrespectful towards you guys, Random, SPW and Ray, for even thinking in this direction? It's not a lack of trust, it's more about using common sense and logic. Let's say the schedule was not fixed, you must have seen it coming that questions would be raised when seeing the schedule yourself for the first time. I guess telling about how the schedule was drawn could clear things up. Tiger used to post pictures of how he made the pairs, with paper, a hat and the help of his mother ::)

Offline Almog

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17 PM »
The questions that u should ask yourself is wether u think Random really wants to win a championship by fixing the schedule, or by playing fair and square?

Btw, admins, I can't login (incorrect password)
anyone?

Offline franz

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23 PM »

Offline Random00

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 11:32 PM »
I was at ventrilo with SPW, when I pressed the button to do the pairings and when I first looked at it I was sure shocked at my first 4 matches.
I find it a bit offensive that you think that I could cheat about it, though. I would never ever do this. If it helps I can post the script that generated the pairings online.
Its the exact same algorithm that I also used in eac 2011 and 2012 and it basically shuffles the player IDs with this function: php.net/shuffle.

If a majority of players thinks that this schedule is rigged, I am willing to reschedule everything.

But there's still one thing I don't get. Why should I manipulate the scheduling after putting that much effort in this event?!

Offline Random00

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 11:35 PM »
Btw, admins, I can't login (incorrect password)
anyone?

So far the first one with this problem I think.
Probably it's just a typo, so be sure to check small/capital letters in the password (it matters!) or simply copy/paste it. If it still doesnt work I can give you some temporary password for your first login, but we should both be online then. PMs work best if you want to solve something as quick as possible :)

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23 AM »
I don't know how much I care myself, but ea needs to settle this right now before games get played. The way they did it in CWT was actually filming the pairings, which is the fairest way to do it. I would probably be in favor of that if other people are.

Offline Random00

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Problem with manual drawing is, that our tournament structure is quite different. If you just randomly do pairings, you will most likely get (a lot) more matchdays than 17 (for 18 players).
To always ensure the least possible amount of matchdays I used the algorithm presented here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www-i1.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~algorithmus/algo36.php&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www-i1.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~algorithmus/algo36.php (I hope Google translate isnt too bad on this one, the page is usually in german).
Every player is basically just a number in this algorithm, and the schedule is always exactly the same, e.g. Player 1 is always facing Player 3 on the first matchday. Since we dont wanna have the same scheduling every year, I simply give every player a random number. This year chuvash is Player 1 and Ray is Player 3, last year Devilage was Player 1 and JohnMcClane was Player 3.
This algorithm isn't 100% random (in fact there are only n! different schedules, but 18! = 640237370572800 is a big enough number I guess), but it's good enough for our purposes.

So, the only thing that could be done manually would be drawing of a number for a player. So if you draw 1 for Almog and 3 for Crazy, this would automatically mean its Almog vs. Crazy on this matchday.
I spent some time on getting a good algorithm for a round robin tourney, and its not tirival to get one with the least amount of matchdays. So, if anyone knows one that you can present on air with live drawing, then shoot. But I don't believe there is one. Plus drawing every game seperately would mean for eac 2013 that you have to draw 306 names, because there are 153 matches....

I will talk to SPW about this asap and more opinions are always welcome. Delaying the start of the tournament by one week won't kill anyone I guess ;)

Offline franz

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 04:19 AM »
really this discussion?  just play on, it's only a schedule.  may the best win.

Offline Almog

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Again, I don't think anyone here is looking for glory he wouldn't earn. Besides, people had plenty of time preparing (getting back into shape) for this tournament, as it was announced ~2 months ago (?).

I also don't think this round (Random vs Mablak) will determine the end-winner of the tournament. There are plenty of skilled players this year and many surprises are coming up.

Lets start this Sunday. GL and HF everyone.