Forums
May 03, 2024, 01:56 AM

Author Topic: AGE OF EMPIRES 1  (Read 886 times)

Offline Kangaroo

AGE OF EMPIRES 1
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:25 AM »
anyone here want to arrange a Online game for AOE ?

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline NiCo`

Re: AGE OF EMPIRES 1
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:14 PM »
age of empires 1 ?:( too old
I playing the age of the king or the conquerors

Offline Turko

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Im having colour issues here in windows 7... but i think if i install it on linux using wine would work fine... we should play a tus match of aoe, but would be great if we were 4 or 5 at least :D

Btw.. how do you play it online? using hamachi?
Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I might join ya, if I have time. I haven't played it for years though (And coz I'm not sure about in what timezone we will play)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:38 PM by Xrayez »

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Im having colour issues here in windows 7... but i think if i install it on linux using wine would work fine... we should play a tus match of aoe, but would be great if we were 4 or 5 at least :D

Btw.. how do you play it online? using hamachi?

If you're talking AoE2:
Step 1.

Right click on your desktop, create a new file with notepad.

Step 2.

In this notepad you will write the following one of these things listed bellow, note that if you have Age of Empires 2, Age of kings, you will take the first part, and if you play the expansion use the second part.

-Do not use both-

Age of Kings:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
EMPIRES2.EXE
Start explorer.exe

The Conquerors Expansion:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
age2_x1.exe
Start explorer.exe

Step 3.

After you have pasted 1 of the codes above in to notepad, click "save as", also put in "All files" <- this option is under the blank spot where you will enter the name of your new file, the new file could be named anything, aslong as you include ".bat" at the end, for example "Agefix.bat".

Step 4.

You're almost done now, the only thing you need to do is to put this file in to your game folder, mostly in C:/Program/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires 2.

Now you're done, when you want to play the game, use the .bat file you created to start the game, just double click it, and the game will start!

Note : The reason this removes the color bug is because the .bat file you just created quits explorer.exe, and that process is actually what makes the game bug, when you quit the game, explorer will be restarted automatically, no need to start it yourself!

I used a different method myself. Right click in desktop and change the desktop background theme to one of the basic or high contrast-ones. After that right click desktop again and open the screen resolution screen. Change nothing there, but leave it active as you click on aoe2.exe.
It will fix the colours too without doing anything like killing the explorer.exe.. It's a little more trouble though if you play the game more often.

Works on other old games too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:19 PM by HHC »

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I have never played online...  can i host direct IP ?

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline StepS

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 01:39 PM »
awesome, someone actually wants to play AOE 1, when would you like to do it?

BTW I have a patch for 1920x1080 if you need

also, if you have bad colors on Windows 7, no need to kill explorer, simply use DirectDrawFix on your exe, or install the wndmode windowed mode module (by putting it to the root). the problem will be gone forever
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:42 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]