Forums
April 26, 2024, 11:52 AM

Author Topic: Goldeneye: Source [PC]  (Read 1723 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Goldeneye: Source [PC]
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:38 AM »
AWESOME! A remastered version of Goldeneye (Multiplayer) on the PC :D For free!

Enjoy!

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/goldeneye-source-remake-trailer/

^^ Link is in there.

Offline The Extremist

Re: Goldeneye: Source [PC]
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Does it look nice? Yes.
Does it play well? Looks like it could.
Is it Goldeneye? Nope.

Jumping. Different gameplay speed. Some replaced sound effects.

As much as I don't like playing on emulator, I'd rather play that than something pretending to be Goldeneye.

You wanna make a James Bond game? Go right ahead! Just stop piggybacking on GE's name and do something fresh, a You Only Live Twice game or something.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Does it look nice? Yes
Does it play well? Probably
Is it Goldeneye? Umm, yes, it is even called "Goldeneye" lol...

I know you like nitpicking, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried there lol.

Absolutely nothing wrong with someone making a re-mastered version like this, especially for old fans who will enjoy reliving this classic game in a fresher more modern enviroment.

And the best thing is, it's free! They aren't trying to make money off someone elses creation, it's more of a tribute, which is awesome!

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Would be more interested in the single player, the multiplayer doesnt do much for me anymore, a few of my friends and i tried playing it a few months ago and got bored quickly. 

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with someone making a re-mastered version like this, especially for old fans who will enjoy reliving this classic game in a fresher more modern enviroment.

It's not a remaster. It's a new game inspired by the original. No different from the various officially licensed games released over the years that say "Goldeneye" on the box, and don't look or feel at like the original, except that this one is trying harder.

This isn't nitpicking. It's just how it is.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:43 AM »

"Not Goldeneye, not Goldeneye, NOT"

how does one even cope being like that when plenty of the Wii U's best titles are remasters?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:46 AM by Aerox »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:58 PM »
It is pretty good.

Graphics aren't awesome (but this means it runs on my computer) but the maps are good and recreates Goldeneye well.

Gameplay is pretty Half Life.

Not sure I would get hooked to it but we'll see.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Two points here.

One, the idea that Goldeneye Source is a "remaster". A remaster is an existing game that has been given enhancements such as better graphics, better controls, or added online play, but is still basically the same game. Examples of this include Conker: Live & Reloaded, Wind Waker HD, and the upcoming Skyrim Special Edition.

This is different from a port, which is the same game on a different platform, possibly with better/worse performance and other small changes.

A remake is an old game rebuilt from the ground up with entirely new graphics, a new engine, etc., but still sharing major features such as story and level layouts. See Final Fantasy VII Remake or some 3D versions of classic 2D games.

Goldeneye Source is a new game based on an old game. Let's call it a semi-remake. It borrows level layouts, characters, and weapons, but the engine, movement, and some of the sounds are completely different, and there's no missions. It's a from-scratch Half-Life 2 mod, not an upgraded N64 game. If all you liked about Goldeneye 64 was the fact it was based on the James Bond movie of the same name, then you'll probably consider this the bee's knees, and maybe the other semi-remakes too.

Second, emulating Goldeneye 64. Yes, it's close to the original. In fact, it's better in some ways. But high-level emulation (HLE) of N64 games is not exact. Common faults include choppy audio, too-fast animations, inaccurate particle effects/alpha blending/gamma, inaccurate controls, missing effects, frequent crashes, and so on. Netplay adds more problems, as the two most popular netplay-enabled N64 emulators are out-of-date, and since games without built-in online play can't have complex lag compensation, you need really good connections.

If you're cool with all that, good for you. But for me, until CEN64 is finished, playing GE and PD on an emulator is an inferior experience to playing them on an N64.

You call this nitpicking, I call it being accurate.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Well, I agree with what you said there, nothing will emulate N64 as good as an N64, on the other hand, while we're on the subject of accuracy, you will never be the age you were 19 years ago when it was released, so in the end it doesn't matter if you built the most perfect N64 Goldeneye emulator/ROM yourself, it still wouldn't be the same.

Anyway, all I done was post a link to a free game and said "enjoy!", I didn't ask if anyone liked it or not or if anyone could compare it to the original ;)

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Well, I agree with what you said there, nothing will emulate N64 as good as an N64, on the other hand, while we're on the subject of accuracy, you will never be the age you were 19 years ago when it was released, so in the end it doesn't matter if you built the most perfect N64 Goldeneye emulator/ROM yourself, it still wouldn't be the same.
yeah this, best point in thread

it fails to recapture my inner teenager, frame accurate rendition or not

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 10:14 AM »
on the other hand, while we're on the subject of accuracy, you will never be the age you were 19 years ago when it was released, so in the end it doesn't matter if you built the most perfect N64 Goldeneye emulator/ROM yourself, it still wouldn't be the same.

?

I've still got my N64 hooked up, and playing Perfect Dark on it feels just as good as it did 16 years ago. Just as playing WA now feels just as good as it did when I first played the PC version back in 2004. At least for me, age does not affect the game playing experience.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Sure, because in 16 years you are the exact same person with the exact same philosophy on life, the exact same things impress you and excite you in the exact same way now as back then.

HINT HINT

;] ;]

NUDGE NUDGE!

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Sure, because in 16 years you are the exact same person with the exact same philosophy on life, the exact same things impress you and excite you in the exact same way now as back then.

More or less.

So?

(Are you one of those perpetual change advocates?)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 01:50 PM »
We'll leave it at that.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I have this game, so if anyone interested to game, let me know.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB