Forums
May 18, 2024, 06:05 AM

Author Topic: Who plays League of Legends?  (Read 12366 times)

Offline darKz

Re: Who plays League of Legends?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04 AM »
No use defending that game ropa, it's not as deep/complex as DotA. Also Riot have shown that they can't handle a 2 million dollar event, leaving behind lots and lots of disappointed viewers.. Those are facts. :P
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Shit like this happens when you're using 5% of a country like USA's bandwidth. FC Barcelona also lose matches from time to time.

I'll defend it when I see misinformation being posted.

I see the terms deep and complex used for free when this argument comes up. It's bullshit. American Football is also amongst the most complex of sports and that doesn't mean table tennis cannot be as competitive.

I've played Dota, I understand that it's more punishing for mistakes. I see this as a non issue in a genre where yoy can be "dunked" on without making any clear mistake just because of superior team play or strategy. I rather see a game that focuses on this rather than mechanical play, which, and I talk by experience of having played both games, is equally as demanding in both games, regardless of the fact that in Dota2 you can cs your own units.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:12 AM by ropa »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Camper

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 11:29 AM »
the skills in LoL are more complex than in DotA, it's not just select an unit and booom. You gotta have much more timing :)

Plus, I love'd recall system :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:49 AM by Camper »

Offline darKz

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01 AM »
the skills in LoL are more complex than in DotA, it's not just select an unit and booom. You gotta have much more timing :)

Plus, I love'd recall system :D

Now I wonder what the hell you did the last couple years when you played DotA. Solo matches with Skeleton King? :D

ropa, I don't wanna discuss this further, if you look at the facts you know it's true. gg wp :)
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Husk

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24 PM »
both are shit, u got awesome 4 skills, play sc2 instead

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00 PM »

ropa, I don't wanna discuss this further, if you look at the facts you know it's true. gg wp :)

What facts? Certainly not the ones you presented, those weren't facts, and that's why I corrected you on them.

You're comparing CoD to Battlefied, cocaine to weed, Roberto Batistuta to Oliver Kahn. It's fair enough you prefer one or the other, but calling one superior just because you rather play it and from there, make up imaginary arguments like "LoL has easter eggs related to dota therefore it's an inferior game" or "it doesn't have a courier" is not going to get you anywhere (i can make equally stupid arguments, like dota has no bushes), never mind acting as if you were the holder of the truth all this time when proven wrong and refusing to admit it (reference: gg wp).

you know i love you but you're acting like a fanboy, you clearly have not played LoL enough to realize that the top level of competition has nothing to be jealous of dota's, even if it has cel shading graphics and a different pace.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2012, 02:28 PM »
both are shit, u got awesome 4 skills, play sc2 instead

hahahaha, my roommate and I took a break from LoL last year and bought sc2.. we played like two games and quit... that game is such a chore... It's amazing watching the Koreans play it.. I can't click and keep track of stuff like that game demands.

I've never played Dota 2.  It sounds interesting, but I'm on a LoL phase right now.. we should discuss our favorite champs and stuff!
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline Camper

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2012, 03:05 PM »
Teemo is the funniest champ to play :D

@ darKz, lately I've only played funny heroes like Kunkka, Storm, Furion.  I just enjoy playing when you can show your skills in fact.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:06 PM by Camper »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I play all roles but my best win rate in each role is with these champs:

jungle: Lee Sin (77% winrate baby)
solotop: Rumble (71% winrate) although I play Jayce alot since he came out
ap mid: my fav role, easy to carry in 1500-2k elo, I play all ap mids with some expertise but give me Gragas and I WILL snowball (unless he's countered)
ad carry: Ezreallllllllllllllllllllllll (66% winrate)
support: i don't play much support unless I'm playing duo queue with an ad carry i really trust, in which case my fav is Sona
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Husk

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 03:25 PM »
evelynn

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 03:27 PM »
evelynn

the new evelynn is amazing as ap mid

m5 played it and dominated with it but sadly for them it was banned in games two and three.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Husk

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I see

never would of thought that she would be ap mid

Offline darKz

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44 PM »
You asked for it, I'll give you my main problems with LoL.

1. The map is simply less complex. It doesn't have high-/lowgrounds which are very nice tactical assets, it doesn't have destructible terrain (yes, you can destroy trees with certain abilities/items in DotA) and the juking through the grass feels inferior to DotA jukes too but I can't back that one up because the last time I played LoL was like 3 years back.

2. Some champions are semi-complete copies of DotA heroes (popular clones like Ashe/Drow Ranger or Pudge/Blitzcrank go here). This is not a bad thing because DotA heroes have great diversity in what they can do. But this feels very different on LoL..
Correct me if I'm wrong on the following part but I've never seen a champion who can control creeps and micro them in a fight (except for that Warlock-like champ which can summon a golem with her ult), neither Illusions and that kind of stuff.. Many abilities just deal damage to a target or in some AoE, either have a stun or slow and that's about it. So I claim that hero abilities on LoL are less diverse than those in DotA.

3. You can't deny that you can't deny (LoL!). And that takes away a very important fact in the laning phase: In an evenly matched lane (2 equally strong champs) you can't deny your opponent EXP and gold through superior lasthitting skills. In LoL all you do is lasthit everything there is because nobody can stop you from doing so, "zoning" can't be an argument here because it also exists in DotA (harass/positioning), it's just another factor of laning which both games have.

4. There's no outside-the-base shop or courier. The secret shops in DotA make it harder to safely acquire high value items. You can be ganked while getting them, or if you send your courier it can be sniped. Cpuriers also add to laning potential, bottle-crowing (using a bottle to heal yourself and fly it back to the fountain with the courier to fill it up, then get it back again etc) is a common yet expensive strategy if you wanna go with a hero who is likely to lose the lane but you still wanna go with it because it contributes great possibilities to your team.

5. In DotA, to dominate the mid lane and in many cases the flow of the early game, you have to be in control over the rune which spawns every 2 minutes randomly at one of two rune spots. I understand that killing certain jungle creeps gives buffs to the one who deals the killing blow, but that's just not the same because there's a jungle on both sides - it's a thing which both teams have, basically.

6. The shop system. I can't stress this enough. How much $$$ do you have to spend to get all the champions unlocked? Or how many hours do you have to play the game? Just to get permanent access to the champions? The whole concept takes away the chance equality.. Imagine this: I start playing LoL and through my DotA knowledge I'll be pretty good in just a few weeks. So now I wanna start playing competitive but wait! I haven't unlocked all the champs yet. Np, I'll just try with what I have - say 20 unlocked ones. They pick champ X. Through my knowledge of the game I know champ Y is a good counter to champ X. But I can't pick it because I haven't unlocked it. Tough luck, gotta go with a worse pick... And then comes the mastery system which is pretty much the same, either you start out low or you gotta spend your dollars to be pro.

7. Server waiting times. I don't need to elaborate on this one, you know how annoying shit can be when it says "over 9.000 people in line before you" or whatever exactly it says.

You really don't need to be a genius to see how there's just more depth in DotA (terrain/courier/runes/shops). Not saying that one game is better than the other, it's your personal preference I guess and depends on what you're looking for. But the depth creates a higher skillcap and therefore DotA is better suited for professional e-Sports.

I bet I could find a few more things but I can't be arsed now. There's good things in LoL though: Despite the shop thing it's more noob friendly than Dota 2 currently is and attracts more casual gamers.

::)
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42 AM »
I'm not good at LoL... my top rating is 1257 or something... I have like 500-600 wins (normals + ranked)  I'll say my favorite champs anyway

Top:  Teemo, Mundo, Kayle... not my favorite lane, Teemo is usually the safest bet.. I have 66.7% winning with Mundo
Mid: I like a lot of mids... Lux, Ryze 60.9%, Fiddle 60%, Ziggs 58.3%, Zyra 90% (my best at mid I guess), Kassadin 57.1%

...f@#! it, I feel like a nub talking about this.. I like teemo, nunu, and ziggs.. and more  :)
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00 AM »
1. The map is simply less complex. It doesn't have high-/lowgrounds which are very nice tactical assets, it doesn't have destructible terrain (yes, you can destroy trees with certain abilities/items in DotA) and the juking through the grass feels inferior to DotA jukes too but I can't back that one up because the last time I played LoL was like 3 years back.

I know you can destroy trees in Dota, unlike your "played it for 5 minutes 3 years ago and can't even remember much of it" I've actually played both games. I know the map in Dota is bigger and more complex. I don't see a smaller map as a problem. It's like Tennis and Ping Pong.

2. Some champions are semi-complete copies of DotA heroes (popular clones like Ashe/Drow Ranger or Pudge/Blitzcrank go here). This is not a bad thing because DotA heroes have great diversity in what they can do. But this feels very different on LoL..
Correct me if I'm wrong on the following part but I've never seen a champion who can control creeps and micro them in a fight (except for that Warlock-like champ which can summon a golem with her ult), neither Illusions and that kind of stuff.. Many abilities just deal damage to a target or in some AoE, either have a stun or slow and that's about it. So I claim that hero abilities on LoL are less diverse than those in DotA.

I will do as you asked: yes, you're wrong. Very wrong actually.But I know that and so do you. It's the kind of stuff that happens when you try to give perspective on something you have little experience with. Riot launches a new Champion every two or three weeks. It's been 3 years buddy.

3. You can't deny that you can't deny (LoL!). And that takes away a very important fact in the laning phase: In an evenly matched lane (2 equally strong champs) you can't deny your opponent EXP and gold through superior lasthitting skills. In LoL all you do is lasthit everything there is because nobody can stop you from doing so, "zoning" can't be an argument here because it also exists in DotA (harass/positioning), it's just another factor of laning which both games have.

You have your own definition for exp denying that's fair enough. There's many ways of denying your lane opponent experience and not just by zoning. But it's ok, I never saw it as something that made the game worse, just gave it a different way of playing.

4. There's no outside-the-base shop or courier. The secret shops in DotA make it harder to safely acquire high value items. You can be ganked while getting them, or if you send your courier it can be sniped. Cpuriers also add to laning potential, bottle-crowing (using a bottle to heal yourself and fly it back to the fountain with the courier to fill it up, then get it back again etc) is a common yet expensive strategy if you wanna go with a hero who is likely to lose the lane but you still wanna go with it because it contributes great possibilities to your team.

I love the courier argument. It makes me laugh a little inside. Because I'm under the impression that if LoL had a courier and Dota didn't Dota fanboys would call LoL players casuals because "lol they need a mule to walk them the items". Your arguments about complexity are of no use to me, it's like saying Disgaea DS is better than Final Fantasy Tactics DS because there's much more shit going on it's so complex.

5. In DotA, to dominate the mid lane and in many cases the flow of the early game, you have to be in control over the rune which spawns every 2 minutes randomly at one of two rune spots. I understand that killing certain jungle creeps gives buffs to the one who deals the killing blow, but that's just not the same because there's a jungle on both sides - it's a thing which both teams have, basically.

Look, my forehead hurts, and it's only from virtually facepalming for the 12th time after reading your insight on LoL. It's pretty clear you're not very familiar with the game mechanics never mind high ranked games. You're saying, dota is better because you never know where the rune is, A or B, you could die in this random guess game! Fun. Then we have LoL, with buffs on both sides of the jungle, for the lanes to get them whenever they go. That's not how it works in top ranked, there's counter jungling and constant buff stealing. A jungler must have full control of the map, his jungle and his opponent's, control the timers or guess them if he's being counter jungled.

6. The shop system. I can't stress this enough. How much $$$ do you have to spend to get all the champions unlocked? Or how many hours do you have to play the game? Just to get permanent access to the champions? The whole concept takes away the chance equality.. Imagine this: I start playing LoL and through my DotA knowledge I'll be pretty good in just a few weeks. So now I wanna start playing competitive but wait! I haven't unlocked all the champs yet. Np, I'll just try with what I have - say 20 unlocked ones. They pick champ X. Through my knowledge of the game I know champ Y is a good counter to champ X. But I can't pick it because I haven't unlocked it. Tough luck, gotta go with a worse pick... And then comes the mastery system which is pretty much the same, either you start out low or you gotta spend your dollars to be pro.

The only money I've spent on LoL has been on aspects (changes the looks, gives no advantage). I have all champions except for 4 or 5. That's close to 100 champions. And the only character customization that can change the strength of a champ (rune) cannot be purchased with money.

7. Server waiting times. I don't need to elaborate on this one, you know how annoying shit can be when it says "over 9.000 people in line before you" or whatever exactly it says.

I had a long wait once, I remember it because it pissed me off really bad. It was about 4 minutes or so.
It's rare to have the queue message pop up, and if it does, it'll be for 20 seconds.

But the depth creates a higher skillcap and therefore DotA is better suited for professional e-Sports.

So then why is SC2 so famous in the e-Sports scene? I've played much more complex RTS that basically get 0 exposure to e-sports.

Unless of course, complexity has nothing to do with it. I guess it doesn't. That's why, (and only because Dota2 allows it by not being released haha) LoL is the #1 streamed game by pro streamers and the most followed in any big streaming website

Eat a bag full of dicks.