Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:25 PM

Poll

Do you want Hysteria to be in Classic league?

YES
NO

Author Topic: BAN HYSTERIA FROM DEFAULT LEAGUE  (Read 41896 times)

Offline Free

Re: BAN HYSTERIA FROM DEFAULT LEAGUE
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Ok then Free, I have an idea that might suit you, let's be serious about this.

For example:

You take on Casso.

Someone else takes on Gabriel.

Someone else takes on Random00.

Or if not all these people can play, there are few others of equal skill. How about that? Then this way you only have to play the amount of games you wanted?

Ur not really paying any attention to what gets typed? You live on your own fantasy world and everything else seems to bypass your thinking process.

What does different players playing against 3 players have to do with the challenge I (pay close attention to the the word I) proposed, I can't control how they play or how effectively they will try to demonstrate the flaws and boring gameplay of effective Hysteria tactics.

U really don't get it. If someone else wants to propose another challenge, knock yourselves out but my challenge and conditions stay exactly the same, if it doesn't get accepted, then fine, I can live with that. More than me reaching the winning ratio, the replays would illustrate how boring and un-natural effective Hysteria tactics are at it's core.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Please give a rest to who is right/wrong or who is contradicting himself or who is what ...
Just stick to the topic.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33 PM »
As soon as i can find a ISO reader that i can understand and that doesn't suck i will accept the challenge and  prove it is about luck...

Offline Peja

« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2013, 11:36 PM »
orvil, somehow u became boring, even for me lol. still nice to see you around.

oh damm was offtopic, well i agree with MI Komo and Anubis.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Now we're getting somewhere, ShyGuy :)

Some people still don't believe anything is wrong with hysteria as Komo just proved with his last post.

I used to be in favor of randomsteria, DarkOne, but the more I think about it, the less I like it.  I don't want to completely remove rotation advantage from the game, just make it more risk for the reward.  I don't like the idea of random turn order because:
1. You can still try rotation rape, which is good; however, you'd be relying on the random turn order for whether or not it will work out... You can't control the random turn order, so I don't like the idea of being countered or allowed a certain strat based off of a random factor you can't control, do you understand what I'm saying?  If I decide to telepile, the risk does go up because of random turn order, but if it does thwart me, it's not like the enemy team did anything to counter me, they just got fortunate with the turn order... there was no special move or skill they had to do, the turn order just happened to be in their favor. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. 
2. Random turn order makes it harder for you to organize moves within your own team because you don't know the order of your own team.  If you're setting stuff up, it's highly reliant on getting a good turn order.  It would be interesting if you could see your turn order but the enemy can't, but that's a discussion for another day.

@1 yeah, you explained it just fine :) Random turn order is not entirely random, though. In every game, your team has a turn cycle: in a turn cycle, all your worms must have had their turns. I haven't done a full calculation here, but I reckon you do abuse turn order safely if you have half the worms of your opponent - as long as you pay attention to the turn order and keep in mind what I said above. If you try to abuse turn order before you hit that ratio, then yes, you will be depending on luck 8)
So yes, random turn order does have its weakness in that respect, I fully agree. I don't see another way to keep the tactic around while downpowering it somewhat, though. Happy to hear an alternative, though :)

franz mentioned worm select at the start of the turn. I'm curious whether that included /racingstuff or not: RS would limit options like jetpack knocking (which can be done for some very nice tactics) and would fully abolish turn order abuse. Without RS, is abolishes turn order abuse when it comes down to 2 vs 1 worm, would take good tapping skills to avoid it with 3 worms. When it comes down to 2v1, I can see that the team with 2 worms can pretty safely hide his higher HP worm at the bottom, while the lower HP worm does damage on the other team.
It could work :)

@2: Yes, that's another weakness to it, I'm aware of it. franz' option would fix that weakness, but we'd have to test it to see what it does to turn order advantage - does it merely diminish it or does it destroy it?

Adding random turn order still doesn't fix the fundamental problem with hysteria, which is the 1 second turn time that breaks the scheme and allows for abuse in the scheme.  It's the 1 second turn time that makes the game design goals of hysteria not work.  So yes, Darkone, like I've pushed for before, I would like to see a 3 second hysteria variant like Aerial to replace the scheme.

Aerial is an entirely different scheme, though, for instance when it comes down to using sd as a tactic. Aerial doesn't even have sudden death. Aerial is all about using the jetpack for combat, just look at the replays. Hysteria does have jetpack options, but they are far more limited and therefore far less used. It basically comes down to removing hysteria again if we were to go through with this suggestion.

« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2013, 02:02 AM »
I've thought about the worm select at the start of the turn before, but I wasn't sure how it would be implemented like you said.  I'm interested, tho
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline Peja

« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2013, 02:08 AM »
well i played some games with barman using wormselect and rs. exept the flaw of impossible knocks it turned out its damm hard to come back when u are down once. we tried to fix it with more worms and close sd timer, so you can force sd when you are far behind. turned a bit into a huge close combat battle with jetpacks at the start.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2013, 07:45 AM »
pft
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:53 PM by Korydex »

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50 PM »
LoL as long as komo is involved the number of pages go up significantly..But i guess we have reached a descission to eliminate Hysteria and put it on the free leauge like in times past ? Also intermidiate-Luckless should be added..

« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I've thought about the worm select at the start of the turn before, but I wasn't sure how it would be implemented like you said.  I'm interested, tho

Then perhaps we should host a cup with it :) one with /racingstuff and one without (at least).
I'll host a cup with those settings once I get back from my week off. Would you mind uploading your replays, Peja? Perhaps that will help us seeing how WSteria plays out.

Offline Peja

« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14 PM »
sure d1:

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54 AM »
LoL as long as komo is involved the number of pages go up significantly..But i guess we have reached a descission to eliminate Hysteria and put it on the free leauge like in times past ? Also intermidiate-Luckless should be added..

No we/they haven't...

Offline angus

« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54 PM »
HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!!HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!! HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!! HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!! HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!! HYSTERIA ITS A PIECE OF CRAP..!! 

Offline Breeze

« Reply #448 on: February 25, 2013, 12:45 AM »
MI.  Do your worst.  If you're going to ban me from making my own opinion on peoples intelligence (or therefore lack of) levels, get it done now.

What you just said suggests you've taken a fun scheme and put it into a proper league..

This is like the third league in a row, made by people that have quite possibly been bullied as kids.  Can't handle a little insult, you're not going to get very far in life.
Try telling the cops someone called you a dickhead in real life, see how that goes.

What a joke, league for two year olds.

Offline reN`s

• I am ren just ren the ren instantly ren

• Chile Chile
  • ICB ICB clan
  • rM rM community

• About it what do u want? Its just a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2013, 12:49 AM »
The hysteria is cool  ;)