Forums
May 13, 2024, 10:01 PM

Poll

Do you want Hysteria to be in Classic league?

YES
NO

Author Topic: BAN HYSTERIA FROM DEFAULT LEAGUE  (Read 42154 times)

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
Re: BAN HYSTERIA FROM DEFAULT LEAGUE
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Monkey no scheme is 100 percent luckless..

Imagine if 2 players are in a tight buneerace on a long map..Both of the players make the exact same flaw just before the end..One of the players get a strong luck wind to the right so they can save time.. Quickly get to the same obstacle and try again..The other player gets a strongwind to the left and has to spend 6 seconds catching up.

Then the first player just barely makes it to the finish with not a second to spare..The second player who has the exact same ammount of skill will pass the obstascle as well but he will fall short with 5-6 seconds because of the unfortunate wind.

Ofc bungeerace is virtually luckless but nothing is truly luckless in worms...Even if you take TTRR with no wind the second player still has an advantage as they can go slowly and safely to the finish if the first players plops 3 times and he 2 times...So being second is an advantage in TTRR even with no other luck elements..

So bungee race is not100 percent luckless but it is close enough i would say..On the other hand it is to dependant on maps and knowing a certain map can give you a huge advantage..So i would say it is not suitable as a classsic scheme...

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Doubletime, there's no parachute in BungeeRace, ergo wind have no effect on this scheme. You shouldn't discuss schemes you're not familiar with.
That was the point I was referring to in my previous post.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Oh rofl...Well nvm then........

<h1>SO embarrising </h1> but nonetheless <b> HYSTERIA </b> should be removed from classic :D

Offline philie

« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Offline Free

« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30 AM »
I will play with Casso but only if the challenge terms are met (hysteria gets moved/modified instantly if 40% win ratio), I will not see the trouble otherwise or play more than Casso.

The scenario you illustrated is very common if telecow and darkside zook tactics is used from the very beginning, so yes it most often than not becomes 1v1 war IF other player decides to play "chesteria" You can take a look at dt's playoff hysterias, I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) of them ended on 1v1 situation eventually and usually after a long painful darkside zooking, there was an hour long hysteria played because Mablak was playing and he's like Random, he has the nerves to sit around and wait for the other one to make the mistake first.. it was REALLY boring to watch, ended on a teledraw and after that they had another 30-40min game.. and I think that ended on a teledraw too.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2013, 11:24 AM »
I will play with Casso but only if the challenge terms are met (hysteria gets moved/modified instantly if 40% win ratio), I will not see the trouble otherwise or play more than Casso.

I don't know why you insist on that, you are not a demanding terrorist. We want to have some progress on our point of view on hysteria. A lot of people are following this thread, we want to have enough clue to reach a better decision. 40% win with one single player has so many flaws. Isn't that obvious?
Casso may not be in the mood. Casso would be playing for 60% of people. Isn't that stressful? Shouldn't you be more willing to go to distance if you're this much sure about it? I don't get it really. 1 set of games vs 1 single player and a decision for the whole community?

What's the trouble you're referring to? Improving your BnG skills?
Also it is not about you only, Breeze, Shyguy, Anubis etc etc and the people who think the way you do, should take the challenge and prove us wrong.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Free

« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Yeah it's rather obvious you don't get it, hence the challenge ain't happening.

It's really not that hard to see that Hysteria is the most flawed scheme in Classic and something needs to be done, otherwise there wouldn't be so hard opposition.

If Hyst wasn't so popular, you guys would do something about it long time ago, so let's face it, it's a popularity issue more than scheme issue.

Edit: If you would read my posts, you would know what my "trouble" is.

And so you want 65 of us to take the challenge because we don't want Hysteria to be in Classic as it is? :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:16 PM by Free »

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I will accept the challenge..I suck at bng so it will be fun to prove that it is about the luck of the draw !

Offline Casso

« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2013, 12:36 PM »
I have accepted this challenge to prove that Hysteria is not a luck based scheme where only players who has more patience who are willing to wait a long time before the opponent makes a mistake win, but a scheme where only the best and tactical players can win.

I don't want to take such a responsibility, I risk to play even bad knowing that my defeat would remove Hyst from Classic League.

A challenge can't decide anything but can prove many things. Why don't you try to challenge more players (I already made a list several pages back). If you win 40% of games against us we can't take as an excuse that we weren't in the mood.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:39 PM by Casso »

Offline Chelsea

« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Why don't you try to challenge more players (I already made a list several pages back). If you win 40% of games against us we can't take as an excuse that we weren't in the mood.

^^

« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I voted NO, but I think hysteria is not a luck based scheme. The problem it is the most played scheme every season. It's easy to learn (unlike most other classic schemes), but hard to master, that's why many people prefer to play hysteria again and again rather than improve in other schemes.

Of course, removing hysteria can solve that problem, but be prepared for a decrease of activity or another "lucky" scheme domination (hello shoppa?).

Instead we should motivate people to pick different schemes, probably by changing the point system (I don't know how much hysteria players care about points).

Here are some thoughts (don't take 'em too serious):

1. A scheme is picked randomly. So only legendary luckers and best all rounders will be able to manage to get into PO.
2. Bonus points for playing different schemes. E.g. hysteria+ttrr+elite 3-0 winning streak gives +50 points.
3. Every season there are 1-3 schemes that gives extra points, e.g. elite points are multiplied by 2.
4. In playoffs there are no picks. Just a set of 5 schemes without shopper, hysteria etc. The order is random.

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Free, man up and take the challenge against 3 top players?

You made this much fuss about it, follow through?

Offline Prankster

« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54 PM »
1. A scheme is picked randomly. So only legendary luckers and best all rounders will be able to manage to get into PO.
2. Bonus points for playing different schemes. E.g. hysteria+ttrr+elite 3-0 winning streak gives +50 points.
3. Every season there are 1-3 schemes that gives extra points, e.g. elite points are multiplied by 2.
4. In playoffs there are no picks. Just a set of 5 schemes without shopper, hysteria etc. The order is random.

See allrounder league! Not exactly as radical as this idea, but a good golden mean, IMO. It does take in count the variety of schemes played by the player, AFAIK. And I think that's enough of motivation, no need for extra points for certain schemes per season, that can end up in varying activity.
The picking system of allrounder league PO is a tougher story, but it's good, I think. Not sure if just playing all schemes (of the league) would be better or worse.

« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Just put some coefficient on scheme as I said before.

Offline Prankster

« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49 PM »
You mean that "pondération"? Even if you take only schemes registered on TUS, there are 225 of them atm. But let's say 200, because there are some challenge schemes in that as well. Anyway, good luck with that! :)