Forums
May 03, 2024, 05:53 PM

Author Topic: Checking times in RR  (Read 10966 times)

Re: Checking times in RR
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11 AM »
You're assuming that the chances will go from 82.5% for A and 17.5% for B to 80% for A, 15% for B and 5% draw, which is not logical imo. Let's say a draw is what it is now (players finishing in the same second), then chances that A finishes first in this second are higher than 50%. If B has not some super mental power which makes him stronger in close situations, A should even be first in 82.5% of the cases. Which means that draws wouldn't change anything at the winning percentage.
Even if B would perform better in close game than he usually does, the winning percentage for A just slightly increases. And you chose a pretty high winning percentage for A as an example.
To sum it up: I don't think draws have practical influence (less than 1%) on the outcome of a game.

Hrm nevermind, that was stupid of me to assume, clearly more wins than losses on player A's side would be converted to draws. Although, I'm not sure it's true that 82.5% of those draws would've been wins, I'd probably need to prove it. Would help if I could look at a concrete example, but I don't have any software to plot normal distributions like Mathematica anymore >_o.

Offline Nullum

« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2012, 03:16 PM »
This discussion has happened before, but I'm not sure why there's still no rule about it. We should add a rule allowing teams to judge times in RR by fractions of a second whenever they wish. It's not a huge problem when you tie by the whole second in 1v1 RRs, since whoever really won is just going to get a tie instead.

But in 2v2 rrs, the team that really won has a chance of turning into the losing team. If one side got times of 31.1 and 30.1 and the other side got times of 30.9 and 30.9, the times would look like 61 versus 60, when it was really 61.2 versus 61.8.

"Times are measured by the whole second you finish on. However, if one team requests it (within 5 minutes of the game being finished), times must be judged exactly, by checking the replay."

Does anybody have any problem with just adding this in?

Good idea!

Use "wkCheatPack.dll" problem are solved, u don´t need to check replay after. And let hope CS will add this "sec time + (wkrubber31.dll)" features in next update! And remove/disable wormkit.exe coz of cheat add-on stuff.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:19 PM by Nullum »

Offline franz

« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2012, 02:58 PM »
hmm well I suppose the default ruling should be how it currently is, but there are definitely enough people who want to use exact times, so MonkeyIsland can we include this in the rules?  If both sides agree before the game, they can use exact times.

And now that I think about it more, if exact times are agreed upon, they should be truly exact  -->  meaning exactly when the worm animation changes touching the finish (so if a turn ends early with a head hit, you must add any extra time to your score).  sure there is a little risk/reward using the early fall strat, but if we're truly wanting to be exact, it should be when the worm touches finish.

Offline Flori

« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Hf counting 0.02*X by pressing S in the replay, in some map u win around 2 sec by a kick, and u want to count it.
Wow what a loss of time.

hmm well I suppose the default ruling should be how it currently is, but there are definitely enough people who want to use exact times, so MonkeyIsland can we include this in the rules?  If both sides agree before the game, they can use exact times.

No need to write it in rules. You always have been able to use exact times if both sides want it. Nobody gonna complain^^.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:17 PM by Flori »

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2012, 03:20 PM »

And now that I think about it more, if exact times are agreed upon, they should be truly exact  -->  meaning exactly when the worm animation changes touching the finish (so if a turn ends early with a head hit, you must add any extra time to your score).  sure there is a little risk/reward using the early fall strat, but if we're truly wanting to be exact, it should be when the worm touches finish.

Its impossible to do that franz: Imagine you stop timer on ceiling and worm flies to Finish. Using "S" you could find the frame the worm touches the finishline but you wont be able to see the time cause the timer would've been stopped and do you really wanna use the total game timer to add any time lost to the turn time? I sure as hell dont xd

Offline franz

« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2012, 03:43 PM »
it's more just a matter of being exact.  I think it's fair to count every moment in time until the worm physically touches finish. that's how every other race in the world works, and I think if you're already checking exact times in a replay, you should be able to add the extra miniseconds after hitting your head.  it's not that hard.  I suppose players could agree on this as well before the game starts if it's also divided.

"i pick rr"
"ok, exact times?"
"yes/no"
"when timer stops?"
"yes/no"

if no one asks anything, then it's just same normal rules as we've done.

and if Flori is right, then I guess we can already start asking these things. if players agree, go ahead.