Forums
May 07, 2024, 04:33 AM

Author Topic: Confused...  (Read 2845 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Confused...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 05:21 AM »
NAiL the league cares about overall stats. But it also "shows" you the stats in an specific season just to show you how things went.

Look at this for instance:
https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-stats/sort-points-down-all-singles/?s=7

It is the classic league in season 7.
Find yourself in the stats and look what has happened to you?
You are being marked as qualified for PO.
You are 42nd in the stats, But it is only for season #7. You are 14th overall and that's what TUS cares.

You are in the overall top 4 that have played your 30 games and you had 50% winning percentage, So welcome to the PO.

Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Aye ty, but inactive players are just gonna stay at the top of the overall standings, for example Mir is 1st for elite, hes not moving!
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Elite standings (Overall)
https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-stats/Elite-stats/?s=overall

Who is Mir?
Why do you care about Elite standings this much?
For example, Gonzo. He is first in elite overall standings. He hasn't played much games lately.
So if anyone is really good in elite, They can get him in the standings. (Since he is not moving)

His Elite standings won't even affect the PO qualification in the seasons. Cause since he is inactive, Then he has no "30 games played", So the system will just ignore him.
and of course, It is Elite standings. The PO works for Classic schemes together (In this case). So PO ignores his stats in an specific scheme.

The elements that TUS cares is:
1. Playing at least games in the season
2. Having at least 50% winning percentage
3. Their position in the points

So an inactive player fails at the first 2 required options. Why do you care where he is at the 3rd option?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rok

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Nail m8, I'm starting to believe you don't understand the concept of rating.

Maybe I'll take some of my time soon and write a detailed explanation of the system, MI will make it a sticky and everbody happy, kk? :)

Who is Mir?

haha
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 06:20 PM »
wouldnt it be nice to display the overall rating and not the seasonal one? Then we could see the players with good ratings and how they are doing during the current season? Like fori is in 3rd at the moment but only has a bronze strip. Would be nicer to see his 3 stars elite rank?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 06:45 PM »
You can view the overall standings anytime you want. (In case you don't know how to use timeMachine)

The season base standing is needed, Cause we actually measure the PO by the season:

1. Playing at least 30 games IN THE CURRENT SEASON
2. Having 50% winning percentage IN THE CURRENT SEASON

So even If I set the default stats to overall, Then people again want to switch to season view to see how people are doing in that season.

The number of things that are needed to be seen in the season view are more than overall view. That's why the default is season view, But you can switch the stats to the "overall" view by timeMachine.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24 PM »
wouldnt it be nice to display the overall rating and not the seasonal one?

I agree, this is what is confusing, becasue you think someone will have a higher rating than they actually do if you only look at the seasonal ratings.

Also, you should advertise the overall standings using the term "overall standings"!

What I mean by this is that your choice of term to describe the overall standings is "show me all together, confuse me".

This doesnt really indicate the importance of these stanings, in fact it encourages the player to not select this menu despite its vast relevance to the league!!

I also think it would be better to display the players qualifying for PO positions all on the front page. Otherwsie people have to select multiple pages of stats for BOTH the current season standings and also the "show me all together, confuse me" standings.

I understand the rating system now, although think that display wise, it could be better executed, with less pages of data to flick through in order to find out basic information!
worm and learn

Offline Rok

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Also, you should advertise the overall standings using the term "overall standings"!

What I mean by this is that your choice of term to describe the overall standings is "show me all together, confuse me".

This doesnt really indicate the importance of these stanings, in fact it encourages the player to not select this menu despite its vast relevance to the league!!

I also think it would be better to display the players qualifying for PO positions all on the front page. Otherwsie people have to select multiple pages of stats for BOTH the current season standings and also the "show me all together, confuse me" standings.

I understand the rating system now, although think that display wise, it could be better executed, with less pages of data to flick through in order to find out basic information!

Well, now you explained your problems alot better. I actually agree with that, having a more easily accesible overall standings page would be better indeed.

@MI: Could you possibly re-arrange the stats menu in that way?

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 08:05 PM »
i totally understand why you show the seasonal page. But what i think would be cool is to still show the seasonal stats... but show the rating of overall.. Instead of everyone having the bronze stripe. We'd see their overall rank but on the seasonal seedings of current season!

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43 AM »

That's completely reasonble. I'll change it to "Overall standings".

The system already shows the PO qualifications in the seasonal page. (for both 4 season top and 4 overall top), You don't need to go to overall pages to see the overall qualified people.
Another thing is you don't need to go to multiple pages to see all the stats. If you click on the "All" link, It will show you the whole list.

@MI: Could you possibly re-arrange the stats menu in that way?

i totally understand why you show the seasonal page. But what i think would be cool is to still show the seasonal stats... but show the rating of overall.. Instead of everyone having the bronze stripe. We'd see their overall rank but on the seasonal seedings of current season!

Ok, I think it would be so wrong to show the overall stats as default. The biggest reason is so many players in the overall stats haven't take part in the current season and it will show them also.

I guess Chicken gave us a solution. I agree that bronze strip in the seasonal stats is useless. I'll change that column to overall rates.

This way:
1. You will have the season points.
2. You can sort the stats by the overall standing by clicking on its column.
3. So if someone needs to know the number of games, Winning percentage ... of overall standings, Then he can change the TimeMachine. Otherwise he can still view the overall points/rates in the seasonal page.

I'll do the changes today, Max tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:45 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 07:11 PM »
i think everything is cool, just the last column :) You agree too hehe

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Good to see you always working ont he league Monkey, nobody can deny your dedication to the league!
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Ok, As Promised:

1. "Show me all together" changed to "Show me the overall stats" and it moved from the bottom of the list to the top.

2. When viewing seasonal, Instead of the bronze strip column, 2 other columns is added. One shows the overall points, The other shows the overall rank.

If you click on the "Overall Points" or "Overall Rank", System will sort the season stats by overall points.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 04:19 AM »
Good Monkey.

I have some more questions.

How do the current league ratings relate to the overall ratings?

Is the same amount of points added/subtracted to your overall rating for whichever scheme?

How many points are then added to your overall rating?

It would be good to display this information on the analyser page... seeing as your ranking in the overall standings is as important for PO qualification as your rankings are for the current season, I thought that would be obvious.

I still dont think that the current system works out fairly enough, especially given the current inactiveness of worms.

The point differences do not work out fairly because a large chunk of the big ratings are held be inactive players. These players just sit at the top of the standings having not played a game for months... This means that the few active players with high overall rankings are the only ones people can win really big points from. This causes noob avoiding, which is even worse than noob bashing because it causes INACTIVENESS! People will not play league schemes if they stand too loose alot of points and gain virtually nothing for a long period of time!

I think it would be far better to reset the seasonal ratings every month and use these ratings to work out how many points should be won or lost in a match. Keep the overal data for sure, but its silly to reset the seasonal ratings and use the "overal" ratings to calcuatate the points difference.

You can see that the current system doesnt give an ACCURATE of a players skill level, worms is too inactive for this overal rating system to work!

Hope that made sense, Ill respond with more detail when im less tired and can focus a bit better!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:22 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Rok

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 11:52 AM »
How do the current league ratings relate to the overall ratings?

Is the same amount of points added/subtracted to your overall rating for whichever scheme?

How many points are then added to your overall rating?

The points added/subtracted are calculated from overall rating (which is different for every scheme, depending on how well one did so far in a given scheme). These points are then added to season rating (you can also call it season score, if you want), which is reseted every season to 1000. Overall ratings are not reseted. Amount of points added/subtracted can be viewed in analyzer.

I think it would be far better to reset the seasonal ratings every month and use these ratings to work out how many points should be won or lost in a match. Keep the overal data for sure, but its silly to reset the seasonal ratings and use the "overal" ratings to calcuatate the points difference.

You can see that the current system doesnt give an ACCURATE of a players skill level, worms is too inactive for this overal rating system to work!

No, you are wrong. The concept of rating is that it's supposed to show one's skill/performance over longer period of time (longer than one season, that's for sure). Calculating rating changes from season score, which is already reseted every season, or reseting overall rating every season, is the same - that way we'd assume that players skill also resets itself every season!  :-X If your elite rating at the end of season n was say 2000, it should stay 2000 at the beggining of season n+1! Your skill didn't change, didn't it?

I agree that inactivness is a downside, but thing you suggest is far less accurate, IMO. And afterall, you can always reset your ratings if you want.

Cheers.