Forums
May 06, 2024, 09:14 PM

Author Topic: Is transparent water legal?  (Read 2434 times)

Is transparent water legal?
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Guys, is using this WormKit feature legal? I never knew you could set water to transparent:

http://worms2d.info/Water_color_editor

I'd say we might as well allow it if it's usable, though it's kind of annoying to be relying on WK features.

Re: Is transparent water legal?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:23 AM »
I'd say it's illegal since normally you have to guess whether you're already at the edge of some land placed at almost the same level as water is and this would give an unfair advantage. But this indeed is an interesting feature. : O

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:30 AM »
I've been using the trasparent water for like 5 years (f@#! me, right?), you don't have to rely on wk modules, it's just a file that can be replaced.
I already asked aroud about this on I think xtc and everyone said it was alright since CS made the tool. So... yeah.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:38 AM »
I use it in RR, because I play with color background => 5 annoying waves, and you won't forbid me to do that :P

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40 AM »
I already asked aroud about this on I think xtc and everyone said it was alright since CS made the tool. So... yeah.

For the record, both Deadcode and CyberShadow consider using transparent water unfair, as far as I remember.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I only know that you could remove the waves altogether in some Worms game, not sure if it was W2 or W:A or WWP, leaving only a "line" of water. Can someone make a screenshot of the "transparent water"? The link Mab provided only shows the editor not a transparent water pic.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:06 PM »
That is a transparent water sprite in the screenshot of the WKB article. If you look carefully, you'll see it's crosshatched, with only half the pixels solid and the rest see-through. But yeah, you can just make them all transparent too, then you're stuck with a single solid blue line slightly above the actual level of water. You can see that line through the waves in the screenshot too, it's where the bottom edge of the terrain cuts off.

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:51 AM »
I didn't know about this. Thinking about all those Team17s my missiles exploded on myself.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25 AM »
One fair advantage I can think of; if someone uses a roper map that happens to have some tough to see land on the bottom, people can know exactly where it is. It might be easier to allow it, since people are already using it >_>

Offline Anubis

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14 PM »
One fair advantage I can think of; if someone uses a roper map that happens to have some tough to see land on the bottom, people can know exactly where it is. It might be easier to allow it, since people are already using it >_>

Legalized drugs for everyone it is then!

Offline barman

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Sometimes water obstructs very low placed mines or long horizontal strips of land. Players have no way of telling if there's an object waiting to kill them once they are close enough, like in this case (at 3:12). This is a clear flaw of the game, the outcome cannot be predicted nor countered under normal circumstances.

Transparent water solves this issue by making the game at least a tiny bit less unpredictable. Therefore, I think it should be allowed and encouraged.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Sometimes water obstructs very low placed mines or long horizontal strips of land. Players have no way of telling if there's an object waiting to kill them once they are close enough, like in this case (at 3:12). This is a clear flaw of the game, the outcome cannot be predicted nor countered under normal circumstances.

Transparent water solves this issue by making the game at least a tiny bit less unpredictable. Therefore, I think it should be allowed and encouraged.

in before HHC's "luck and unpredictability makes games fun"
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12 PM »
That is actually true when it comes to cats. I love the thrill that I don't know when my cat will enrage and try to kill me. :D

Offline darKz

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 09:51 PM »
in before HHC's "luck and unpredictability makes games fun"

I lol'd. :D

The point which barman made is pretty good, I agree with him. Should be legalized and maybe even put down in the TUS rules with a how-to. Everyone who tried Intermediate should know there can be invisible mines on very low ground and it can be very frustrating at times.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:15 AM »
Yarrrrrrrrrrr!

Transparent water is so clear, All the preachers must now beware, Albeit i could hardly care...VISIBLE WATER IS BLOODY FAIR  ! So if you fail to comprehend and try to flee like a hare.. I shall real soon be intoxicated with ur TEARS !

The choice is up to you !

Yaarrrrrrrr!