Forums
May 07, 2024, 03:35 AM

Author Topic: TUS rating  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Maciej

TUS rating
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:07 PM »
I don't think TUS ratings work well. Leaders of last seasons are losers. Flori gets 0 points for his wins, he has no chence for being first again anymore. But not only him. Have you ever thought about it MI? I think it's an important thing. Could reason about it, and about how worked other good leagues in the past (for example cbc or cl2k? But I can say nothing about it, because I don't know those times well, but I believe there are oldschoolers who may help)? There will be time that noobs are the leaders because they win 1 game against pro, getting 80 points and lose 2 for their loses. Anyway it happens even those days but in little extent yet. What do you think about it?  ??? Only sagacious answers, I would like it helps, don't want idiots in this topic...

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: TUS rating
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:42 PM »
ok, Here's this subject for the third time. :)

Atm the PO qualifications is like this :

Top 8 people (Overall, All seasons together) that has played 30 games in the current season goes to the playoffs.

About Flori you mentioned, He is in the overall top 8 people. So he only needs to play his 30 games and he is in the PO.
So it doesn't matter if he is receiving minimum points. (Consider this too : He is an elite TTRR player in TUS and he beat an absolute beginner player)

pr suggested about tunning it like:
Top 8 players in the current season + 2-3 previous seasons stats which has played 30 games in the current season. Its discussable.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rok

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:51 PM »
pr's idead are often a bit complicated, but not all that bad. :)

@ Maciej: this system is basically the SAME as in XTC and as in all other leagus that existed before. It's ELO ranking system (I recommend some wikipedia), and if it's good for FIDE, it'll do for worms too.
The only difference is the amount of points given for beating an equaly ranked (that doesn't mean equaly SKILLED) player - 40 pts here, 15 in XTC. So you really shouldn't moan. The only downside of it is that good players that start to play late, can reach the top spots a lot easier (that kinda rewards the skill, if u think about it).
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Monkey, Maciej was talking about the league stats, not the playoffs :P PO system is good enough in my opinion.

And yes, league system is good too I think, maybe the difference could be shortened, for example, 2000 rank player would get 30 points instead of 20 against an 1000 rank player (I just said an example, I don't know it exactly (even tho the league works with my equation(lol))).

Anyway, drink lotta beer.

Offline pr

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:42 PM »
all works fine: chelsea will stop noobbashing, flori maybe starts playing all schemes instead of az01 ttrrs

Offline Maciej

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:56 PM »
But after each season general rating of each player = 1000, doesn't it? And if your rating in some scheme = 1200, you have easier way to getting points then player which rating for this scheme = 1800. In XTC there is if any player finished season with rating 800 (instead of 500 - basicaly rating for each new player), he starts new season with rating 800 too! I don't know is it the best way, just example. And I don't really know, what do you mean about Flori? Sorry, I'm new user TUS's forum.  :-[

Offline pr

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:02 PM »
But after each season general rating of each player = 1000, doesn't it? And if your rating in some scheme = 1200, you have easier way to getting points then player which rating for this scheme = 1800. In XTC there is if any player finished season with rating 800 (instead of 500 - basicaly rating for each new player), he starts new season with rating 800 too! I don't know is it the best way, just example. And I don't really know, what do you mean about Flori? Sorry, I'm new user TUS's forum.  :-[

well, u start with 1000 in new season but your scheme ratings does not reset. OVERALL rating is taken into account when counting points per game, not current rating.

Offline Maciej

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:13 PM »
But isn't it harder for getting points for player who has rating 1800 in some kind scheme, then player which rating is 1200, and them overall rating = 1000? I think it's not fair. So best way is losing all games in one season, to get lots of points in next?

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:30 PM »
What is the point of that? You get back those points which you lost in the previous season.
With this system, you get the real ratings of players, if someone is better in a scheme, he shouldn't get more points. If my ratings got reset in each season, I could easily noobbash every Brazilian and newbie in TTRR for 40 points, would that be fair? No!
I get 5-10 points for that, because it is obvious that I win!
This is like gambling, bwin! A team that has more chance to win gets lower odds!

Offline Maciej

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43 PM »
I agree with you Ray, but all of your rating are over 1800..? And there are coming new members like last registered player who is Ryan? Do you think you beat him easly because his rating is beginner? As I said, in xtc you were getting really few points if your rating was high, but you had at start more then basic rating. And I don't know there is one fair way, but if I should choose, I think xtc's idea was better then here one, but maybe you will find another better?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 05:54 AM »
Maceij TUS rating system has been changing a lot. All because lot of opinions and a lot of "not-being-fair".

First you gotta know, Which should we care the most? Entering the PO at the end of the season? Or simply the stats is more important?

Since no one complain about the PO system, I'll just go for the stats.
It would be so dumb that we reset stats every season. We had it before and it made no sense. Imagine you work for your Elite rank in a season, You get a very good rank at it and you are proud that you are a "Hero" Elite player, Then after the season ends, bam! You are "Absolute Beginner". You may want to start again in that season, But how many seasons can you repeat that?

So the best solution is to have your rank lifetime.
TUS cares about your overall rank.
You are looking at the season #6 ranks and you are seeing Flori is down in the list. If you checkout the overall rank (Change time machine to overall), Then you will see the true rank of all players.

So they are in their own places in the list, And they can enter PO easily too.
If a new comer comes to the league he has chance to earn much points, And I think it is a good thing, Cause it helps him find his/her true position soon. 
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Maciej

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Ah, so I understand completly nothing now... So PO get players, who are highest in the overall rating!? ...if they only play 30 games in season, and nvm they lose 30 of them, but if they are high in overall rating, they get PO anyway!? LOL, that's good idea!  ;D And nah, I don't want scheme ratings reset after each season, that's stupid, true.  :) So for me it works well xD But you could change points against absolute beginner and elite (and following for each rank), because 80 - 0 is not good enough even for me...

And btw, on which place must be some player in overall rating to get PO at the end?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:47 AM by Maciej »

Offline Rok

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 11:15 AM »
You still don't get it. Season standings are based on the points collected in that season. Points are calculated from overall scheme ratings (for example 1800) and then added/subtracted to/from the season score (which start at 1000). So you're wrong when you think losing 30 games would get you in PO just because your at the top in overall standings.

How to get points when your rating is getting high? Simply play with people that have similar rating as you.
Get it? No?    1000 vs 1000 = 40 points for a win.
                   2000 vs 1000 = 1 point for win.
                   3000 vs 3000 = 40 points for win.
                   10^6 vs 10^6 = STILL 40 pioints for win! (good, eh? :))
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Plus if a high ranked player loses 30/30 games he will lose his high position in the overall stats. ;)

Offline Maciej

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:02 PM »
So I still can't understand how for example Flori would get the PO.