Forums
June 09, 2024, 06:17 AM

Author Topic: First day without cigarettes...  (Read 12380 times)

Re: First day without cigarettes...
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24 AM »
It's all a matter of neurotransmitters anyway :)
Psychological factors play a large role in how we experience things. Some people feel a heart attack as a huge amount of pain in the chest, while others may feel a slight feeling of pressure on the chest.

But that's not to say that only psychological factors play a role. There has to be a physical stimulus to begin with. Doctors all around the world hate René Descartes for ever suggesting the physical and the mental are two completely separate entities.

Just saw this hilarious video I had to share :) Someone talking without credible source!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Hey D1 how long do you reckon it will take for me to start feeling the benefits of not smoking like easier breathing n stuff, like will my nose stop being so blocked up when I wake up and food
 tastin different and can you tell me some other good things it's quite exciting now lol

Offline Anubis

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2011, 12:31 PM »
    In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
    In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
    In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
    In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
    In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
    In 3 to 9 months coughing, wheezing, and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
    In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
    In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
    In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Source: Google Effects of quitting smoking.

I can confirm most of that myself (of course I can't prove myself that my heart attack risk has dropped) but my energy is better than with smoking, my coughing is gone and the best effect is smelling and tasting. I can't tell you how often I taste/smell things smokers don't taste or smell, it's really funny.

I have quit smoking quite easy, it never had been an important status for me, it was purely our of boredom and a bad habit of course. I mean if you use your logic you can't deny that smoking is bad. It's smoke! You are willing to breath in smoke that you would naturally avoid, your instincts even tell you that it's bad. (Smoke from fire, pollution etc.)

A little tip if you have a hard time quitting smoking: Try quitting when you are sick, most people don't smoke when they are sick. I know this sounds stupid but the best time to stop smoking is when you are really feeling bad. (surgery, bad cold) That's mostly because your body has more important things to handle than your little stupid addiction, so it won't bother you with "I need to smoke". ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:47 PM by DeathInFire »

Offline nino

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2011, 03:53 PM »
ae anubis, i agree with u 100%

one thing that i never had or have is cough, i find it nice hehe,  cos cough sucks.

the thing of try to stop smoking when sick is really a good  point, i never tryed, but i f@#!ing h8 when iam with cold or something cos cant smoke as i usually i do, i use to say id rather a shoot in my feet than this f@#!ing cold lol, of course as a joke, anyway long time i dont get a cold or something.

i just started to go to gym again since a long time i dont, and this made me remember that when i was really working out hard ( some peoles here remember the bull i was) i used to smoke much less, ill try to make it back again, i dont want stop smoke now tbh, but smoke less amount of cig would be really nice :)
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01 AM »
It's been almost 4 days now, and my sense of smell and taste are still the same as if I was still smoking...

LMFAO, for a minute there I had completly forgot I stopped smoking, I just finished eating a pack of crisps, then put a cig in my mouth and almost lit it and I sorta spat it out like "wtf *laughed* I've quit *laugh again*..."

Just a habit of lighting up after eating... Jus glad I remembered in time xD

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43 AM »
I remember a few years ago I stopped smoking for almost a week while I was ill.

The increase in taste was dramatic.  I remember a bacon sandwich tasting absolutely amazing.  And beer too.  I could really taste the difference.

;O

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2011, 09:52 AM »
I am gonna be drinking tonight, so, it might turn out to bother me while drinking, but sober, I am fine without haven't had a single crave for a smoke for 4 days now.

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21 PM »
I am gonna be drinking tonight, so, it might turn out to bother me while drinking, but sober, I am fine without haven't had a single crave for a smoke for 4 days now.

I don't smoke a huge amount.  Maybe 5-10 a day.  But I would definitely have the odd urge if I suddenly went cold turkey.  I just know it.

Quote from: Komito
I decided to stop smoking, just to see what it's like, and just to prove a point.

You went into this 'experiment' fully committed to proving your point.  Because of the type of person you are, I don't think anything would be able to stop you proving your point.  It was absolutely guaranteed in my mind that you would successfully prove your point.

To me, if a habitual smoker suddenly goes cold turkey and doesn't have a single craving for a cigarette in 4 whole days.  That just shows what amazing things the mind can acheive when trying to proving a point.

I don't really think it proves anything about smoking.  It just proves that you're a stubborn arse.

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2011, 12:38 PM »
If people who wanted to stop smoking were like Komo, they would have already stopped. :D

I personnaly thinks it's just about envy. I saw many very "addicted" people stop(ping?) smoking when they really wanted.
And many who has restarted confessed they, in fact, just didn't want to.
It's just about admitting it. :)

Well, I can be wrong, but I really believe it. If you want something (at least you believe in it), you can get it, even if it's an impossible one (dreams are there for those). :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:45 PM by Abnaxus »
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline Ray

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 12:52 PM »
I bought three packs since the day I created this topic... Well, that's still some sort of an improvement, that means I smoke a pack in three days instead of one.

Let's get better now.

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Gj ! Continue that way !  ;)

If I cold give you an advice, do not try to reduce anymore, but to stay at 1 pack every 3 days. At least until you feel ready to reduce again. :)
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I don't really think it proves anything about smoking.  It just proves that you're a stubborn arse.

hahahahaaha that was good!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Obviously I have other reasons to stop, such as saving money, smelling better lol, and why you so close-minded?

I can stop easily, because I am a strong person who has the will to do whatever I want...

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Ok so I am a little tipsy now, had 2 ciders, and 5 vodkas lol, and thinking about having a cig, I know I don't need one, it doesn't bother me to go without, but I just "want" one, if that makes sense?

Ah f@#! man, wtf is it about alcohol that amplifies your desire for a cig? I actually really want one now... I was fine when I was 100% sober... It just tastes so f@#!ing good when drinking...

Ok, I just smoked 1 cig, i've had 1 cig, and it tasted pretty shit cuz I haven't had one for 4-5 days, but, I got a serious head rush and THAT felt weird, but sorta like, druggy lol, like, I felt this intense rush to my head like orgasm in my brain or something...

I am confused now lol... I will try to not have anymore see what happens...

I won't be doing that again, actually felt horrible after 5 minutes, starting to realise it is better without although I KNOW I still enjoy the feeling of smoking... I just had to try 1 while drinking to see the effects... And now I know so, yay xD

AH seriously,k I cannlt NOT smoke while drinkiing, that's 2 cigs i've had now in 5 days... I can't heklp smoke while drunk lol, i can avoid when not dirnkioing wtf !!!

Offline nino

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2011, 01:17 AM »
looks like u r much more addicted in alchool than nicotine, poor komito xD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.