Forums
May 04, 2024, 07:45 PM

Author Topic: Lucky Roper [for MI, franz, Dub-c]  (Read 4706 times)

Lucky Roper [for MI, franz, Dub-c]
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:01 PM »
MI asked me to post some replay examples of lucky ropers... Here they are. I'm not complaining or smth, I just want some people who don't believe there is luck in roper to see these replays :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Crazy

Re: Lucky Roper [for MI, franz, Dub-c]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:24 PM »
franz once, twice and three times made me example of a person who were lucky in ropers on XTC, that I had beaten players considered more skillful then me as a result of the crates. I wanted to use franz as punchingbag back then, because I don't really buy this luck talk for this scheme. I can't watch the replays right now, I will later, but I doubt it will change my mind ;P

Crate rape can occure, I don't deny that, but how a player deals with this crate rape is also skill. Does he rage-rope to the crates in desperation to close the gap in health, or does he manage to continue roping controlled? How does he deal with this crate rape, can he control his temper and play a new roper afterwards without being affected by frustration from last game? There are alot more aspects to consider then just the crates, but more how they affect your mind... The better player wins in the end (overall).

Offline franz

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:17 PM »
franz once, twice and three times made me example of a person who were lucky in ropers on XTC, that I had beaten players considered more skillful then me as a result of the crates. I wanted to use franz as punchingbag back then, because I don't really buy this luck talk for this scheme.

crazy, what?  I think your memories are starting to get really exaggerated, because I've never posted replays saying one person was lucky to win.  PM me if you like, we can clear it up once and for all ^^

as for 'lucky roper', I've never denied that there is at least some luck in roper, due to random crate drops.  but this will always be the case until someone invents a crateless roper, probably something similar to wxw. My main argument has always been that player mistakes overwhelmingly 99% decide games more than random crates. we're all human, so mistakes are not surprising.

I've already openly suggested some nice roper ideas, my main one being that 1v1's should have 2 worms per team to add to the strategy.  with two worm piles, like in clanners, it adds strategy and likely also would affect how people would approach random crates especially if another worm pile is nearby.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I've already made my points on other threads.

Game one is all I watched and I feel it is a bad example.

Artics hide first turn was very bad strategically. Can't blame that first bad cr8.

Look at the map. Look where you guys hid the majority of the game.

Both of you made mistakes, it was not a flawless game.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:32 PM »
franz once, twice and three times made me example of a person who were lucky in ropers on XTC, that I had beaten players considered more skillful then me as a result of the crates. I wanted to use franz as punchingbag back then, because I don't really buy this luck talk for this scheme.

crazy, what?  I think your memories are starting to get really exaggerated, because I've never posted replays saying one person was lucky to win.  PM me if you like, we can clear it up once and for all ^^

as for 'lucky roper', I've never denied that there is at least some luck in roper, due to random crate drops.  but this will always be the case until someone invents a crateless roper, probably something similar to wxw. My main argument has always been that player mistakes overwhelmingly 99% decide games more than random crates. we're all human, so mistakes are not surprising.

I've already openly suggested some nice roper ideas, my main one being that 1v1's should have 2 worms per team to add to the strategy.  with two worm piles, like in clanners, it adds strategy and likely also would affect how people would approach random crates especially if another worm pile is nearby.

You can support adding another worm but you can't support higher fd? I agree with 2 worms per team like in clanner.

Offline franz

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:49 PM »
I agree, some maps are just not meant to hide in the absolute hardest hide. it's risk/reward when you use those hides. yes you may be safe from an opponent's hard crate, but you're risking harder crates for yourself every single time you hide there. so that's on artic. he also was roping less and less efficient as he got more and more frustrated. like dub said, it's far from a flawless game, you can't blame crates alone.

dub, I'll support what I believe in personally and I generally speak up about it. you should too, I haven't seen you make a fd thread yet. try to convince people.  personally, the only reason I can think of for increasing fd is to punish mistakes more harshly.  so yeah, I guess if that's what people want, why not?  I'm not personally all that against trying higher fd, but I think everyone, like me, just needs to feel convinced.

we've gone on too long just accepting things the way they are, so these discussions are always good in my eyes. I think it's healthy to improve schemes. major sports try to improve every year, so what's stopping us?  perhaps getting everyone to agree is the hardest part.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Roper - one of the luckiest scheme on tus and thats okay since luck is part of competitions ae!

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Roper - one of the luckiest scheme on tus and thats okay since luck is part of competitions ae!

You are new to roper. Maybe after a few thousand ropers your opinion would be more credible.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I agree, some maps are just not meant to hide in the absolute hardest hide. it's risk/reward when you use those hides. yes you may be safe from an opponent's hard crate, but you're risking harder crates for yourself every single time you hide there. so that's on artic. he also was roping less and less efficient as he got more and more frustrated. like dub said, it's far from a flawless game, you can't blame crates alone.

dub, I'll support what I believe in personally and I generally speak up about it. you should too, I haven't seen you make a fd thread yet. try to convince people.  personally, the only reason I can think of for increasing fd is to punish mistakes more harshly.  so yeah, I guess if that's what people want, why not?  I'm not personally all that against trying higher fd, but I think everyone, like me, just needs to feel convinced.

we've gone on too long just accepting things the way they are, so these discussions are always good in my eyes. I think it's healthy to improve schemes. major sports try to improve every year, so what's stopping us?  perhaps getting everyone to agree is the hardest part.

You see fd as a punishment for mistakes. I see more fd as a reward for skilled  knocks and drops for fd. If you did 10 fd damage 5 times throughout the entire game, this would make up for a bad cr8, or win you the game outright.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:09 PM »
more fd + cr8 luck will be even worse :<

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:23 PM »
more fd + cr8 luck will be even worse :<

Could you expand on this further? Do you have any experience playing ropers with higher fd?

Offline sock

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:37 PM »
roper - some luck with cr8s /  lot more skill

I wouldnt mind higher fd either way

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Could you expand on this further? Do you have any experience playing ropers with higher fd?

I didn't play, but I can imagine higher fd in our game with Artic.. I would win much faster, because he didn't have time to make any fd to me. Also I failed more turns, but still easy win, the game shouldn't be flawless to be considered "lucky".

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54 PM »

I didn't play, but I can imagine higher fd in our game with Artic.. I would win much faster, because he didn't have time to make any fd to me. Also I failed more turns, but still easy win, the game shouldn't be flawless to be considered "lucky".

With higher fd maybe, perhaps, you would not have been hiding where you were. Maybe Artic would have attacked on some of the cr8s where he just missed an attack. Maybe he could have had nice drops on you and made up for a cr8?

Offline sock

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54 PM »

but if it is you can see how exactly luck made a factor