Forums
May 04, 2024, 06:38 PM

Author Topic: TTRR variants  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Ray

TTRR variants
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I am pretty sure many of you were thinking about similar stuff before, but none of these have been out there - or at least I haven't seen any - so I decided to make this thread and collect some ideas of variants of our beloved scheme: Time Trial Rope Race!

Now the basic idea is to keep the original scheme, but add some spice to it by making it more difficult than it already is. Here are some of my ideas!

ssTTRR - Start to Start Time Trial Rope Race

Nothing difficult to understand here, the only change compared to the original scheme is that you rope from start to finish, touch finish, then rope back to start again and touch it as a finish, all that in one turn. This is basically just extending the length of the map.

• You are allowed to stay on the rope and touch the finish like that and start roping back, no need to get off the rope.
  • You are still allowed to end your turn by headknocking when you are going back to start.
  • Three worms, you have three chances.

aTTRR - Average Time Trial Rope Race

This is making it a little more tricky. In aTTRR, you still have three worms, but you have to finish with each worm and the time that counts is not your best, but instead the average of all three turns. In case both players fail to finish with all their worms, you start over.

Now this sounds a little too hard, as in case you plop your first worm, all your opponent has to do is saferope to the finish with all the worms and you lose. For this reason we could come up with different ideas, such as:

• Have four worms instead of three and both players have to finish with three worms, the three best turns' average counts.
  • In case you only finish with two worms, the average of those turns count, minus X seconds of penalty.

See these rules are very flexible, you could come up with a better solution than these, but you could also keep it difficult by having the basic idea: you have to finish with each worm.

eTTRR - Extreme Time Trial Rope Race

Almost like the previous variation, but! You have to finish with each worm in one single turn and that time counts. Three worms, one chance, one turn. You rope from start to finish, touch the finish, get off the rope, use Select Worm to switch to your next worm and start roping with that to the finish. Then repeat with your last worm and that time counts.

sseTTRR - Start to Start Extreme Time Trial Rope Race

Combination of the first and the third variation, where you rope from start to start basically three times. One worm is enough for both teams, but you have to put your worm down when roping back to the start - like if you were to use Select Worm.

Offline Hussar

Re: TTRR variants
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »
come on  ;D

Offline Free

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:13 PM »
It just breeds better rrers if you play "longer" maps.

Offline barman

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26 PM »
The "extreme" variants are essentially unplayable, even the best rope racers rarely finish in all 3 turns. Sure it's possible if you play more safely, but it makes the game more boring doesn't it?
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline Prankster

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:00 PM »
These abbrevations look like the ones we use in bng, but still nothing compared to "4slgreversedfloorbanktrannytrapshot".

Offline chakkman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:10 PM »
The thing with these variations is that they simply won't be used... big maps never really enforced themselves too for the "classic" schemes. It's not even the unwillingless to learn something new, it is just that the schemes played in classic league are so well thought out, and enjoyable to play, that it basically makes no sense to spice them up in any way, imo.

Offline avirex

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16 AM »
berria said it best...
hahhaha

wtf with this thread...

ray did u break ur big toe again?? you bored or something? hahah wtf

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:17 AM »
interesting :D but why to count the average time if we can just sum 3 times? :) if (a+b+c) > (x+y+z) then (a+b+c)/3 > (x+y+z)/3

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline ANO

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16 AM »
I like the kind of variations, gj.

Maybe another one, easier to play, could be:

sfsTTRR:

You take your best time "Start-to-finish" + your best time "Finish-to-start".
3 worms... everything is the same than in TTRR but you have to do the classic "BAck to start" and you have to do a time even there, so you'll add both the times.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16 AM »
no one wants to hear your math wizardry, stat
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:38 AM »
I like the variants Ray, but I don't know how much they would get accepted by the community, but would be so much fun kicking your ass on every variant :P
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Hussar

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:55 AM »
LETS ADD 1 WORM !!!

4 worms will make game a bit longer, coz rr is the fastes sheme.

More time on game = more fun ;)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Let's add 5 worms :D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Peja

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 11:45 AM »
lets play ttrr with px and add sentry guns.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I think you got my intention with this thread wrong. I just put out some ideas there that could be played by better players or even practise roping with these variants set in mind could help you get better consistency for isntance.

The "extreme" variants are essentially unplayable, even the best rope racers rarely finish in all 3 turns. Sure it's possible if you play more safely, but it makes the game more boring doesn't it?

Would some of them require safer roping? Possibly, yes, but I very much disagree that that makes it boring. Beat The Sheep requires consistent roping, but not ultra fast, I wouldn't call that boring though.

The thing with these variations is that they simply won't be used... big maps never really enforced themselves too for the "classic" schemes. It's not even the unwillingless to learn something new, it is just that the schemes played in classic league are so well thought out, and enjoyable to play, that it basically makes no sense to spice them up in any way, imo.

Yes, good point there, these variations could be used in tournaments for example, not ever in the Classic League, I never thought that, as you said, simply the original schemes are too well-thought out. :) So these are not replacements! Not intending to switch from anything to anything... simply putting out some ideas there.

interesting :D but why to count the average time if we can just sum 3 times? :) if (a+b+c) > (x+y+z) then (a+b+c)/3 > (x+y+z)/3

I just wanted to sound fancy, you are absolutely right on that point.

I like the kind of variations, gj.

Maybe another one, easier to play, could be:

sfsTTRR:

You take your best time "Start-to-finish" + your best time "Finish-to-start".
3 worms... everything is the same than in TTRR but you have to do the classic "BAck to start" and you have to do a time even there, so you'll add both the times.

Yea, also a good one.

Maybe we will see some tournaments coming up with one of these variants. Give them a chance, see how it goes and if you don't care just leave this thread alone, okay? Please. :(