Forums
May 05, 2024, 07:47 AM

Author Topic: Regarding TUS Awards. Some ideas.  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Anubis

Regarding TUS Awards. Some ideas.
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I know TUS awards are always just for the lulz and are traditionally not so serious but I'd like to know if I am the only one that thinks they could be a little more representing of the best wormers we have in TUS in that year. I often see people get votes that didn't even play a single TUS game or so few that they should not count towards the TUS awards, after all they are awards for the year 2013, not 1999-2013. When people get inactive for 3/4th of the year or even more they shouldn't receive votes at all. For example it would be a lot more motivating for people to work for their points in regular season when at the end they might get rewarded for it by being the best of that year. It could easily be determined by just adding up all seasonal points he/she gained during that year.

Obviously some awards like coolest wormer etc. require a vote but imo TUS awards of individual schemes (elite, rr, bng etc.) and overall best player (all schemes together) could be a lot more representative than they are now.

It would be a great overview who did what great this year and who improved, who was active. Now it's kind of random and saying nothing at all. :)

Edit: typo!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:54 PM by Anubis »

Offline darKz

Re: Regarding TUS Awards. Some ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I agree with Kai - no offense to the winners but in my (Switzerlandish-neutral) opinion barman really deserved a lot more awards than what he got, he had an incredible worms year. On the other hand Mablak and Random don't exactly deserve to stand on top in any of the scheme-categories this year (except maybe best Elite because of TEL/EAC).
Maybe it would make sense to make people choose from a list in some categories, for example best overall player could only be selected from every player who made playoffs at least once that year.
Also, some of the categories are kinda repetitive (coolest wormer/clan, best nickname, etc). :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Sounds like you just want to have the average seasonal ratings of people for the separate schemes and nothing more, then.
I'm always open for new ideas for categories. Last year I had a "most useless category" category so people could vote on the ones they could do without. The majority response was to get rid of that option altogether ::)

You can chalk up that victory for FoS: "Give us a choice? Screw that!"

Offline SPW

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52 PM »
I agree with anubeli and darkeli. In each top category we should nominate players which really played active. So in the drop list you only can choose 3 out of 10, for example, based on their success.

Offline Free

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:19 PM »
+1.

Too much nostalgia might make us blind to the facts.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:15 AM »
So I got the points of all clans that played at least 1 game every season during season 30-35 (which is more or less 2013) and these are the results:

Official best clan 2013 seasonal points season 30-35:

#1 AeF: 15761
#2 dt: 13345
#3 tag: 12280
#4 l3x: 10149
#5 inf: 9543
#6 che: 7541
#7 bfw: 7369
#8 tdc: 7036
#9 roh: 6609
#10 UC: 5281

To compare to TUS awards with votes:

dt (68 point(s), 16 vote(s))
AeF (31 point(s), 9 vote(s))
cFc (23 point(s), 7 vote(s))
TdC (17 point(s), 7 vote(s))
CF (13 point(s), 3 vote(s))
UC (10 point(s), 2 vote(s))
RoH (9 point(s), 3 vote(s))
sK (6 point(s), 2 vote(s))
l3x (6 point(s), 2 vote(s))
TaG (5 point(s), 3 vote(s))
CKC (5 point(s), 1 vote(s))

They are totally off with dt being twice as good as AeF in 2013? Dream on! xD (sorry dt, we sucked 2013 we dont earn #1)

I never would have thought AeF actually had THAT many points. So congrats AeF for being best clan 2013. And thats exactly what I mean, TUS awards should be a nice overview of the whole year so even ppl that don't follow every season know at the end of the year who did what and how successful everyone was. This could be applied to best average Win% to reach PO (so you can't just play 1 game and have 100% at the end of the year) individual schemes, best scheme win % (minimum 20 games each season) so the awards actually show something, have weight to them etc. I really think TUS awards should transform into real awards and not these gimmick votes. Let these gimmick votes be FoS territory. ;)

To make PO not totally unimportant in the awards you could add "insert random points" for each 1st/2nd/3rd place. For exampke each PO victory yields additional 500 points, 2nd 250 and 3rd 100 to seasonal points at the end of a year.

The question now is, is there a system in place that can spit out the information to see who was real best elite player/clan etc. because I did this manually and that's a pain in the ass, and it was just points of all schemes together of a clan for season 30-35. xD
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:27 AM by Anubis »

Offline Free

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25 AM »
Points are not really all that accurate. AeF is a fresh clan compared to dt or tag for example. They get more points with same squad power basically.

And dt never been about points.. just win PO :D

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28 AM »
Yeah free, I was thinking about a system that adds points to the ratings at the end of the year like 500/250/100 or w/e # for PO placements. :)

But if a clan works his ass out and earns so many points it should be recognized at the end of the year, don't you think?

And regarding your:
Points are not really all that accurate. AeF is a fresh clan compared to dt or tag for example. They get more points with same squad power basically.

All you point out is a potential flaw in the points system of new clans/players, you can't blame these numbers I presented for being inaccurate if they have been acknowledged by the system for being true. It's just data that already exists and is objectively correct. Subjectively you might be right but objectively AeF was the best clan seasonal points-wise in 2013. :p
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:39 AM by Anubis »

Offline HHC

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:01 AM »
AeF is a fresh clan compared to dt or tag for example. They get more points with same squad power basically.

? How so?

AeF got shitload of points by playing double the games dt plays in a season. And at an equally or almost equally winning %.
It's a nice list you posted Kai +1 for the effort & idea ;)

It's too much work to count all that for each category though. And awards... well, they are just awards. As IRL they don't really say anything about the intrinsic quality of the participants.

Don't think I'm getting these T17 & Aerial awards cause of my superb performances in the leagues..  ;)

Offline avirex

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:09 AM »
AeF is a fresh clan compared to dt or tag for example. They get more points with same squad power basically.

? How so?

AeF got shitload of points by playing double the games dt plays in a season. And at an equally or almost equally winning %.
It's a nice list you posted Kai +1 for the effort & idea ;)

It's too much work to count all that for each category though. And awards... well, they are just awards. As IRL they don't really say anything about the intrinsic quality of the participants.

Don't think I'm getting these T17 & Aerial awards cause of my superb performances in the leagues..  ;)

its true HHC... Free is not taking anything away from AEF, but they achieved points easier then dt does, being they were a new clan...

i mean, you pretty much said it your self... if you had "almost equal win%" you should be almost equal in points... but you had 2000 points more. ;D

but yeah, according to TUS, AEF was the best clan if anubis' recording are accurate. 

Offline HHC

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00 AM »
its true HHC... Free is not taking anything away from AEF, but they achieved points easier then dt does, being they were a new clan...

Again, how so? How does being a new clan help score many points?

As I said, it's solely because AeF played a shitload of games at a decent winning rate.

Look at dt's:
Season 33: 87 games @ 62.5% for 2276 points in total.
Season 35: 114 games @ 59.6% for 2752 pts.
Season 36: 231 games @ 58.8% for 3215 pts.

So yeah, for you guys too, the more you play the more points. Your % dropped, but your points are increasing by the season, simply because you get more games in.

AeF was around 60% wins as well and made 3 seasons of nearly or even over 300 games played. For points totals that reached up to roughly 3500. That's exactly the same as dt would have if they played 50-70 games more.

Offline Free

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13 AM »
Anubis yeah but are we really judging the best clan by "points only" system? If so then its also inaccurate way to measure whos really the best.

You get more points being a fresh clan but ur seasonal rank doesn't mean much if the clan would always fail PO for example.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:36 AM »
Maybe the solution would be to have pre selected nominations and people can only choose between them.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 04:58 AM »
Maybe the solution would be to have pre selected nominations and people can only choose between them.
^^^ That works for me :D

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29 AM »
I'm always open for new ideas for categories. Last year I had a "most useless category" category so people could vote on the ones they could do without. The majority response was to get rid of that option altogether ::)
You should sticky a board about that.
I also think that all these award are too much repetitive. I'd love to have a bunch of others question next year.
Note: there should be a list for any reward about replay (it is too hard to find it imo). And best drama topic should also be from a list (maybe from the number of smite in it).