Forums
April 29, 2024, 11:25 AM

Author Topic: Roper changes  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Dub-c

Roper changes
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Why does roper have sd? Since I started playing WA I never understood it and I think there should be no sd in roper.

Also I think there should be a rule that all tus roper games should be done on a random map. The same roper map packs have been in rotation for too long.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline beer

Re: Roper changes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:43 PM »
why not? i alwys play with it. its bad for you? also for who play vs u.
about maps, start talking with ur clanmates, its a begin
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:59 PM by beer »

drama queen iz back

Offline Free

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind taking SD off.

I also wouldn't mind the idea of a 'map pool', ie. 20 accepted roper maps from which map has to be chosen, same with RR. It's only fair to offer equal chance for all participants.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05 AM »
thats a good idea, many are guilty of map bashing, but a map pool would just complicate things somewhat.

I mean people could still pick only 1 or 2 maps from the map pool right? Or even play all the maps lots if they have more free time than another player... this would be quite some effort to moderate.

Most players can usually agree on a map to be played. If one player belives that the selected map is being map bashed by the opponant, then they can always ask them to change it. If the player refuses to change it, then its clear he is a map basher, this wont do him any favours in the long run.

I dont think its nessecary to play a random map each time, many people are not good at creating/editing maps in map editor. This would take up time and become frustrating (many people will not be bothered to do this). There would also be tons of complaints about bad maps from bad editing, resulting in a one sided or unfair game.

I still belive that at the end of the day, on most occasions the better player will win even if the map is being map bashed, so its not really that much of a problem.

I'd be happy to see SD removed, although I'd also be happy with SD after 15mins, with an enforced wxw rule.
Each player MUST wxw during sd, failing to do so resulting in a skip or even possibly a surrender.

This would require far more consistant roping on every turn in SD, and so icnrease the risk of a fall and mean that no turns can be spent falling at the start, then roping back to the hide with 10 seconds to spare.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:17 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:31 AM »
why not? i alwys play with it. its bad for you? also for who play vs u.
about maps, start talking with ur clanmates, its a begin

Its doesn't have to be bad for me to disagree with it. I think sd gives me an advantage. It just to have a good 10 or 15 minute roper be decided by going wall 2 wall doesn't make sense. Thats not what a roper is.

Why would I talk to my clanmates you arrogant shit, I'm talking to everyone about it.

Yea maps is whatever, I'll play any map. There is no such thing as a bad. With skills you will win on any map. I'm just sick of the playing the same maps.

My main concern was SD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:27 AM by Dub-c »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:29 AM »
TUS is gonna have its own map database. Maybe some of you remember that topic.

One of the map database features was 'Map picker'. The system would pick a map for player by random (or by some defined factors). It is in order to prevent map bashing.

I don't think how many people would agree on changing roper though.
But you could always increase the sd time to have more 'roper' than wxw.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Actually without SD some games could be really boring... You know that kind of game that seems to be never ending ?

And i dont see how SD could be an advantage, a good cr8 is an advantage for sure, but here each people have to hit both walls, so they  will have for sure the same distance to rope (if they are smart engough to hide in the same place).
I think it can be a really exiting part of the game (with a high and hard map, not an easy one where it's just too simple to w2w), where you have to rope fast and good !

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Neither do I think that SD should be removed, I mean, it is part of the scheme, also, DoGGy has a point with the never-ending games and the wxw part can be really exciting.

For people being older Worms player than me: when was it added to the scheme?

Offline beer

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24 PM »
i dnt get the point of changing things that are ok for years.. why?

drama queen iz back

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:47 PM »
i dnt get the point of changing things that are ok for years.. why?

Because its dumb and originally there use to not be sd for roper. I suppose the only reason sd was introduced was because the schemes use to not be so flexible.

In a bng after 10 mins do you stop the bng, tele out of your hides where its easy to hit one another to make it more exciting?

Offline beer

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45 PM »
originally its too old

drama queen iz back

Offline Maciej

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:29 PM »
I don't think that sd should be removed. Game often finished before 10 minutes left, and w2w could be really exciting :) It's part of roper! What about maps, I always pick random map from mablak's mappack. His maps are best, and I'm not gonna stop picking them :) lots of hides, never bored maps.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Yehh sd is part of scheme and its the best part imo.
"since most people tend to the order side, its my job to spread chaos" -peja

Offline chakkman

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 02:02 PM »
I agree with TheDogg on this, roper without sd and some hard map can be never ending... i had some game like that recently with MonkeyIsland. And thats the main reason that ppl introduced sd to roper i think. And as you compare it with bng, 1. A long BnG can be a boring pain in the ass :P 2. If you fairly have some skills in it it wont take that long while a roper can be if both players get hard crates.

In my opinion roper with sd time set to 20 mins is a good compromise. And for the maps yeah some variety would be good although i doubt i played half of the roper maps i have yet...

Offline Rok

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 02:24 PM »
20 minutes of SD time would mean like... 40 mins in real time?  :-X
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz