Forums
April 28, 2024, 06:23 AM

Author Topic: TUS Usernames on WormNET  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Kradie

TUS Usernames on WormNET
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I would like to propose a joint effort between TUS and WormNET, where a system is made to validate username Integrity, and prevent Identity theft and abuse. I am already experiencing the weight of this and I know that others may have experienced the same.

Keep in mind I am no expert in the fields of programming and networking. But I came up with the Idea when I attempted to use secure login with Great Snooper.

When you attempt secure login with a snooper, it uses TUS username. Unfortunately to my knowledge, you cannot access WormNET if someone else uses the name through ordinary login, but I thought otherwise. I thought secure login would force the other user off, and that's what I want but did not get. So here I am proposing the Idea to force users off of WormNET by using secure login.

I even expanded the Idea to have a BOT on WormNET that would actively cross check & scan TUS member list and WormNET logins. So for example: A random person wishes to use the name TheWalreus, this person would be prompted with a message that this name is already taken, and that this person would need to go to TUS. Obviously this method is not theft proof but it helps legitimize the Integrity of the user.

The user would have a couple of options on TUS to switch on and off:

Enable/Disable Secure Login.
Use only TUS to login on WormNET (Browser must be open for IP verification).
Login regularly on WormNET, and provide password to BOT in 10 seconds after login.

Obviously there could be better, refined, or more or less options, but these are just some.

But what does this mean for people who doesn't care and just wants to play? Go on as usual and play the game.

Since TUS and WormNET's HostingBuddy share schemes and maps, I don't think this could be a problem?

Thoughts? Can this be done?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:32 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Lupastic

Re: TUS Usernames on WormNET
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 11:14 AM »
This would be a wonderful idea, the reason at first why I joined TUS site is that my nickname was being stolen by other troll toxic players on wormnet, so I wanted to get some kind of "login" system which secures my nickname. And also started to use the Snooper.

I have been trying to ask this more than a year and a half, although not sure that as we are getting close to 2022 would this achievement be.. "too late" already to do? :D

Offline Echiko

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 11:31 AM »
A bot like mIRC channels one that asks for a username and password login would be too, but this requires some work behind...
This user cannot be contacted through PMs.

Offline W0RM

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Good idea.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Good idea, password-proven identity should sure have higher priority than a regular login made by god-knows-who.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 03:16 PM »
TUS is a 3rd party website. What you're asking is that Team17 honors TUS members database for WN's registered users. Anyway Deadcode can clear this up.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I think login via username and password for league players would be great, other players who like to play funners can join by just writing a nickname.
If someone changes nickname close to league players e.g. if username is "LeaguePlayer" and someone try to use "LeeeaguePlayer" or something close like "LeaguePlayer1", it should convert back to real name aka "LeaguePlayer" and show the password option as well. (Will require strong algorithm)
Just my idea. :)

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 03:46 PM »
TUS is a 3rd party website. What you're asking is that Team17 honors TUS members database for WN's registered users. Anyway Deadcode can clear this up.
As far as I understand, WormNET has NO username database, and therefore TUS could behave as a surrogate for this purpose. TUS to my knowledge stores maps for HB to handle. A bot to do this with TUS memberlist shouldn't be so hard? But if this is Impossible, and requires legal sanction by Team17, It would make more sense. I will wait for clarity then.

I think login via username and password for league players would be great, other players who like to play funners can join by just writing a nickname.
If someone changes nickname close to league players e.g. if username is "LeaguePlayer" and someone try to use "LeeeaguePlayer" or something close like "LeaguePlayer1", it should convert back to real name aka "LeaguePlayer" and show the password option as well. (Will require strong algorithm)
Just my idea. :)
I like your Idea too ^^

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 04:03 PM »
As far as I understand, WormNET has NO username database, and therefore TUS could behave as a surrogate for this purpose. TUS to my knowledge stores maps for HB to handle. A bot to do this with TUS memberlist shouldn't be so hard? But if this is Impossible, and requires legal sanction by Team17, It would make more sense. I will wait for clarity then.

It is not about coding difficulty. Hosting Buddy was coded by CyberShadow. The pitched login idea should be implemented for Wormnet which is Team17's ground.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline StepS

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 09:00 PM »
It's already a thing where you can authenticate with TUS to appear as verified in Wheat Snooper.

Edit: this has been a thing in Wheat Snooper for 12 years.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:02 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Kradie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 06:39 AM »
It's already a thing where you can authenticate with TUS to appear as verified in Wheat Snooper.

Edit: this has been a thing in Wheat Snooper for 12 years.
Indeed, but I would like to see such authentication would take a step further by forcing exact same nickname out of WormNET.

But ultimately as MonkeyIsland proposes, It does seem to suggest It is up to Team17.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 01:25 PM »
The pitched login idea should be implemented for Wormnet which is Team17's ground.

what about the community server?