Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:05 PM

Poll

Is WA a waste of your time?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do you think Worms Armageddon is a waste of time?  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Kradie

Do you think Worms Armageddon is a waste of time?
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Is Worms/Video games a waste of your time?

If yes, why?

If no, why?

Do you have any experience in both?

Feel free to post your opinion, it is entirely subjective. I will cast my thoughts later.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Re: Do you think Worms Armageddon is a waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 02:01 AM »
I guess it just depends on how much time you put into it in your situation and if you feel tired playing it or not, and if you have better things to do in your free time. For me, yep, its currently a waste to play WA, but I just have to play some other games occasionally, its a part of who I am.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:11 AM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Do you think video games a waste of time?
fixed the thread title for you

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:30 PM »
I guess it just depends on how much time you put into it in your situation and if you feel tired playing it or not, and if you have better things to do in your free time. For me, yep, its currently a waste to play WA, but I just have to play some other games occasionally, its a part of who I am.
Exactly, it is a matter of perspective. It is not as black and white as one might think. There can be many benefit of playing any video games, as well as many disadvantages. It is a matter of moderation between what is more important. If a video game consumes too much over what should be prioritized, then the fault lies in the person. Then, there's so many different kind of lifestyles, some are more healthier than others and vice versa. Some might have come to accept their situation of life, and use any game/hobbies as clutch, and as a tool to escape. If one is however is aware and strive for something that is defined to be better, surely it should be commended and cheered for.

I personally don't think anything is a waste of time. It is just a matter of how you look at it.

Do you think video games a waste of time?
fixed the thread title for you
Oh sweet little Charlie, thank you so much for your contribution, it surely wasn't a waste of time! ;) I salute you ^^

Offline Anubis

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29 AM »
If you play video games just for fun without trying to be the best you can be in the game then I consider it a waste of time. W:A specifically I always played to become better, so I don't consider it a waste of time. Was a good time to develop all the different skills in W:A.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 04:02 PM »
If you play video games just for fun without trying to be the best you can be in the game then I consider it a waste of time. W:A specifically I always played to become better, so I don't consider it a waste of time. Was a good time to develop all the different skills in W:A.

I have different point of view.  For example in wa:  trying to reach top , buying special keyboards,  then the game is dead and you can stick ur kb and ur skill right in to ur asshole.  For me? waste of time and also waste of moneys :D  But.. playing clanners, or just simple t17 for fun with random guy, having fun, spending on it 1 hour time per week and no moneys?  for me? big fun, and no waste of time.
Bad example? ok lets do CS:  practising many years, watching pro tournaments, then u come to random server and get killed by some random fat guy who is cheating..  For me? waste of time.. I would rather download that cheat and enjoy killing some "pros" and enjoy their crying :DD

Sorry , maybe I am weird,   but  since we are not e-sport  and we don't earn moneys for "being pros" -  it is all waste of time :)  We invest our time and moneys  and dont get anything back.

But hey, who sayd waste of time is bad?  someone like to waste of time on drugs or disco,   WA is STILl better waste of time than many other shit in life

Offline nino

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50 AM »
I dont think WA is a waste of time.

But iam sure this is a waste of time for you to read this phase i just wrote cos this has no sense at all and you still reading lol  :D
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:24 PM »
This subject is entirely opinion-based.

My opinion is that playing W:A and gaming in general is a waste of time... but that is not to say that I still don't do it. I don't see anything wrong with gaming a little... like a couple of times a week for a relatively short amount of time. If you are gaming every single day for several hours per day that is a HUGE waste of time. The older I get the more I recognize gaming as a waste. There is usually something else that could be a better expenditure of time: cleaning, studying, practicing a sport or instrument, exercising, socializing, visiting family/friends, working on art, etc.

There have been times in my past in which I gamed every day for 6+ hours. Work, sleep, gaming. No life. That is no way to live. Excessive gaming like that is a sign of depression and a lack of social ties. Real life is far more important than any game. I think that as long as you are being productive in life and feel generally happy there's nothing wrong with playing W:A or whatever else for a couple of hours every once in a while as a way to relax and have a little fun. I've seen a lot of people try to justify their excessive gaming using a variety of excuses/explanations but I am confident they are just trying to gloss over the fact that they are suffering from depression and are using video games as a coping mechanism.

Time is a very finite resource and as people get older I suspect that MOST will come to the same conclusion that I have. That said, I think that gaming is *slightly* more justified in winter months in which the weather sucks, but even then there's still lots of other things that people can do with their time.

It's similar to drinking alcohol. If you're drinking every single day excessively, that's a problem. If you drink a little bit 2-3 times a week that's not a big deal. Think about it: A day is comprised of 24 hours. If we sleep roughly 8 hours per day, that's 1/3 gone. If we work 8 hours a day on most days, that's 2/3 of your time gone. Between sleeping and working that leaves us with roughly 8 hours per day in which we are to do all of the things that we need to do... and the more time one spends gaming, the less time they are investing towards all of the other things in life, even basic stuff like cooking meals, showering, shopping, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:27 PM by skunk3 »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Lots of emo topics about the death of worms than when I was on here last lol

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15 AM »

My opinion is that playing W:A and gaming in general is a waste of time... but that is not to say that I still don't do it. I don't see anything wrong with gaming a little... like a couple of times a week for a relatively short amount of time. If you are gaming every single day for several hours per day that is a HUGE waste of time. The older I get the more I recognize gaming as a waste. There is usually something else that could be a better expenditure of time: cleaning, studying, practicing a sport or instrument, exercising, socializing, visiting family/friends, working on art, etc.

There have been times in my past in which I gamed every day for 6+ hours. Work, sleep, gaming. No life. That is no way to live. Excessive gaming like that is a sign of depression and a lack of social ties. Real life is far more important than any game. I think that as long as you are being productive in life and feel generally happy there's nothing wrong with playing W:A or whatever else for a couple of hours every once in a while as a way to relax and have a little fun. I've seen a lot of people try to justify their excessive gaming using a variety of excuses/explanations but I am confident they are just trying to gloss over the fact that they are suffering from depression and are using video games as a coping mechanism.

Time is a very finite resource and as people get older I suspect that MOST will come to the same conclusion that I have. That said, I think that gaming is *slightly* more justified in winter months in which the weather sucks, but even then there's still lots of other things that people can do with their time.

It's similar to drinking alcohol. If you're drinking every single day excessively, that's a problem. If you drink a little bit 2-3 times a week that's not a big deal. Think about it: A day is comprised of 24 hours. If we sleep roughly 8 hours per day, that's 1/3 gone. If we work 8 hours a day on most days, that's 2/3 of your time gone. Between sleeping and working that leaves us with roughly 8 hours per day in which we are to do all of the things that we need to do... and the more time one spends gaming, the less time they are investing towards all of the other things in life, even basic stuff like cooking meals, showering, shopping, etc.

I'm glad you put "entirely opinion-based" before all that  :D

Some of what you say is somewhat contradictive  :o

"If you are gaming every single day for several hours per day that is a HUGE waste of time"

Then you say:

"There is usually something else that could be a better expenditure of time:" - "practicing a sport or instrument"

I mean, it's entirely opinion based, so it's subjective.

However I am curious, please elaborate on why doing one thing you like excessively is worse than someone else doing something they like excessively? Isn't the end result of happiness more important than the source of happiness itself?

Also, what if one actually had a career in gaming? So they play 8-12 hours a day 5+ days a week, and make enough money to do what they want in their spare time?

Then what if someone wants to pursue the pre-mentioned path of a professional career in gaming, but in order to do this they need to spend all their available time grinding away to fulfil that desire?

Your example of alcohol is pretty absurd as well lol, why alcohol? Gaming is nothing like alcohol lol, a person can drink 8 hours a day 7 days a week and be dead within months, even weeks, that doesn't happen to a person playing a game, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out... The only major similarity you can put between alcohol and gaming, is that they are both extremely addictive towards specific types of people, but not everyone!

What if someone comes from an extremely wealthy family, they don't need to work, they don't need to clean(they have a maid or whatever), they have dinner made for them, they shop online, it doesn't take long to shower/bathe, at least if you're a guy lol.

I mean yeah, it's a huge waste of time to you, and from your perspective people who game excessively are a problem because they aren't looking at life from your perspective, they don't value the same things you value, if they aren't harming you, or others, don't worry about it.

It's quite normal for people to think other people waste their time, but when you start talking like they have a problem, they could do something better with their lives, they aren't doing what "they need to do" as opposed to the gospel by skunk3, quite frankly that is a form of bigotry and it's slightly condescending as well, it makes you appear to know better than them, and that your life holds more value.

Like I said before, if they aren't harming you, or others, and they seem happy, don't worry about it  :)

Edit - I won't deny, people that endanger their health, don't wash, eat too much junk, let their teeth rot, their muscles become weak etc, that kinda thing is not good really, but again if they are happy, and accept the consequences, and realize them, who are we to say it's bad?

I'm just saying some people can play most hours of the day each week, and still live healthy lifestyles.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:13 AM by TheKomodo »

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Life changes constantly, so do priorities over what to do and not to do. Eventually one has to survive, so they postpone playing games, others live pretty much comfortable lives, so they don't feel like doing anything else but playing games.

If the motivation behind any activity is to escape their own painful feelings and emotions, I call this a waste of time under any circumstance, I don't care what you do.

... Isn't the end result of happiness more important than the source of happiness itself?

Not worth it if the source of happiness comes from hurting people, directly or indirectly, willingly or unwillingly. Although I'm not sure if such happiness is true happiness, I think it would qualify as obsession which brings somewhat similar state of being and oftentimes confused with happiness itself (passion vs obsession).

Like I said before, if they aren't harming you, or others, and they seem happy, don't worry about it  :)

;D

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Obsession & escapism doesn't have to be a bad thing. A lot of good can come from it. For instance, joining an established online gaming community, where you can contribute with your sets of skills. By contributing, you can gain something back, positive or negative, but regardless, it can help improve you and others around you. If you commit a couple of hours a day to gaming, good for you, because you are adding value and receiving points. Praise & glory that may or may not be as easy to acquire in real life. Acknowledgement and appreciation is what we just want. Online activity can be therapeutic but also can be hazardous depending on goal and interaction.

If a person commits all their time with gaming, and forgets the basic of life; eating, sleeping, work, school and taking care of themselves, then yes, that's a serious issue. This can apply to other mediums such as; movies, music, books & sports.
Gambling is also a serious addiction, and in my book a waste of time. Why waste of time? You are basically gambling your fortune on luck, and that is purely an irresponsible thing to do.

I also don't see a problem having a job, and coming home to chill & play games. It doesn't mean they are disconnected with the world or have some psychological issues and addiction.

In the end, it is all about being aware and how you can regulate your passion. But if you are afraid it can consume you a bit more, then you can move under a rock and feel its weight crushing you with pain. Because in the end, we all need to escape sometime.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 06:38 PM »

"If you are gaming every single day for several hours per day that is a HUGE waste of time"

Then you say:

"There is usually something else that could be a better expenditure of time:" - "practicing a sport or instrument"

However I am curious, please elaborate on why doing one thing you like excessively is worse than someone else doing something they like excessively? Isn't the end result of happiness more important than the source of happiness itself?

Also, what if one actually had a career in gaming? So they play 8-12 hours a day 5+ days a week, and make enough money to do what they want in their spare time?

Then what if someone wants to pursue the pre-mentioned path of a professional career in gaming, but in order to do this they need to spend all their available time grinding away to fulfil that desire?

Your example of alcohol is pretty absurd as well lol, why alcohol? Gaming is nothing like alcohol lol, a person can drink 8 hours a day 7 days a week and be dead within months, even weeks, that doesn't happen to a person playing a game, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out... The only major similarity you can put between alcohol and gaming, is that they are both extremely addictive towards specific types of people, but not everyone!

What if someone comes from an extremely wealthy family, they don't need to work, they don't need to clean(they have a maid or whatever), they have dinner made for them, they shop online, it doesn't take long to shower/bathe, at least if you're a guy lol.

I mean yeah, it's a huge waste of time to you, and from your perspective people who game excessively are a problem because they aren't looking at life from your perspective, they don't value the same things you value, if they aren't harming you, or others, don't worry about it.

It's quite normal for people to think other people waste their time, but when you start talking like they have a problem, they could do something better with their lives, they aren't doing what "they need to do" as opposed to the gospel by skunk3, quite frankly that is a form of bigotry and it's slightly condescending as well, it makes you appear to know better than them, and that your life holds more value.

Edit - I won't deny, people that endanger their health, don't wash, eat too much junk, let their teeth rot, their muscles become weak etc, that kinda thing is not good really, but again if they are happy, and accept the consequences, and realize them, who are we to say it's bad?

I'm just saying some people can play most hours of the day each week, and still live healthy lifestyles.

Not all activities are equal. Doing some certain things excessively isn't as bad as doing other things excessively, but a point could be made that doing ANYTHING "excessively" is bad because excess in general is bad. Just because gaming makes someone happy, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good thing. I, of course, am talking about excessive gaming, not occasional gaming.

Very few gamers are 'professional' gamers. Like 0.00001% probably... so there's no point in bringing that up because not only are they extremely rare, they also game for a living so that is their job. Therefore, gaming for them isn't a waste of time because it is profitable enough to be a job.

Also, most people aren't super wealthy and have everything done for them, and people who are wealthy like that probably have cooler things to do than play video games for hours and hours every single day. Why excessively game if the world is your oyster? I dunno about you but I'd rather be riding a jet ski by some tropical island or travelling to some exotic locale than sitting on my ass playing video games like a potato.

I am not worried about anyone's gaming habits. I'm just expressing my personal opinion on the matter, and my opinion is that gaming for several hours a day every day is not healthy mentally or physically, and my opinion is derived from personal experience. It's not bigotry or me feeling superior or more wise than anyone else. To me it's just basic common sense that if your life is imbalanced like that, it's problematic. Those with gaming addictions always try to justify their behavior with arguments that gravitate towards points such as:

-I'm not harming anyone!
-It makes me happy and being happy is a good thing!
-What makes gaming worse than other past time activities?
etc...

For me those are weak, bullshit arguments and I suspect that those who present them also know they are bullshit but they still want to defend their lifestyle. It simply isn't possible to "play most hours of the day each week, and still live healthy lifestyles." I have never met anyone in my life who excessively games who was NOT depressed or mentally unwell in some way. Not once.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with gaming. I love it. I've been a gamer since the 80's. However, it shouldn't be what you spend nearly all of your free time on. As I said before, time is finite (and the most precious thing we have) and there's so many other things that people can do that add real value and richness to their lives. I'll be 39 this November and if I am extremely lucky I'll have another 40 years to enjoy. I want to make it count, and IMO playing video games excessively is pissing your life away.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48 PM »

Then you say:

Not all activities are equal. Doing some certain things excessively isn't as bad as doing other things excessively, but a point could be made that doing ANYTHING "excessively" is bad because excess in general is bad. Just because gaming makes someone happy, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good thing. I, of course, am talking about excessive gaming, not occasional gaming.

Very few gamers are 'professional' gamers. Like 0.00001% probably... so there's no point in bringing that up because not only are they extremely rare, they also game for a living so that is their job. Therefore, gaming for them isn't a waste of time because it is profitable enough to be a job.

Also, most people aren't super wealthy and have everything done for them, and people who are wealthy like that probably have cooler things to do than play video games for hours and hours every single day. Why excessively game if the world is your oyster? I dunno about you but I'd rather be riding a jet ski by some tropical island or travelling to some exotic locale than sitting on my ass playing video games like a potato.

I am not worried about anyone's gaming habits. I'm just expressing my personal opinion on the matter, and my opinion is that gaming for several hours a day every day is not healthy mentally or physically, and my opinion is derived from personal experience. It's not bigotry or me feeling superior or more wise than anyone else. To me it's just basic common sense that if your life is imbalanced like that, it's problematic. Those with gaming addictions always try to justify their behavior with arguments that gravitate towards points such as:

-I'm not harming anyone!
etc...

For me those are weak, bullshit arguments and I suspect that those who present them also know they are bullshit but they still want to defend their lifestyle. It simply isn't possible to "play most hours of the day each week, and still live healthy lifestyles." I have never met anyone in my life who excessively games who was NOT depressed or mentally unwell in some way. Not once.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with gaming. I love it. I've been a gamer since the 80's. However, it shouldn't be what you spend nearly all of your free time on. As I said before, time is finite (and the most precious thing we have) and there's so many other things that people can do that add real value and richness to their lives. I'll be 39 this November and if I am extremely lucky I'll have another 40 years to enjoy. I want to make it count, and IMO playing video games excessively is pissing your life away.

Never seen such a nihilistic and cynical viewpoint towards a enjoyable hobby enjoyed by tens of millions. You may define it as absolute truth, but I do not.

How on earth have you come to such conclusion that ONLY 0.00001% are professional gamers? There are many definition of this, many are streamers both on twitch and youtube that makes a living out of streaming video games, particular speedrunning them. Would you say that's a waste of time as well? Would you say Games Done Quick, speedrunning for charity is waste of time?

If you aren't familiar with GDQ, please visit the following link:
https://gamesdonequick.com

Why would you compare wealthy against poor people? It sucks to be poor yeah, but being wealthy doesn't mean sunshine and butterflies too. There's merits and cons on both side of the show, and being wealthy is not always better. Such class distinction is irrelevant because, both poor and wealthy can play video games. I highly doubt that ALL poor people that LOVES gaming, daydreams of jet skiing and halo jumping from jets. Being poor can be good too, instead of being born into money and status. You build character from poverty but not necessarily everyone goes good, and same goes for the rich too.
Being rich, can cause serious elitism, typically of having the best brands and wares, to show and brag online. I think your viewpoint is misguided by fantasy that doesn't apply for all.

-I'm not harming anyone!
etc...

I am glad you are expressing your thoughts but I just can't agree with it.

If you receive something good of doing something you genuinely like, there is no problem. I met many people who loves gaming and plays for hours and never had any sort of illness at all. Then again, my arguments for skunk is likely flawed and weak. Not all can just accept basic truth, that some people chooses something that they love, instead of going for something that in theory is defined as better by someone else.

So what is gaming addiction? What is excessive play? 2-4 hours a day? I doubt it. Many movie fans sit and watch movie for 2 hours straight and then watch another. I would raise flags if a person plays 8 hours straight a day without any side activities, and outside communication. Then again, it doesn't NEED to be classified as an illness. If a person is AWARE of their issue, and sees it causes undesirable results as a whole, then regulation is required to take. The world is moving mostly online, not all have same opportunities as others regardless of their backgrounds.

And no no, I am not encouraging people to sit and linger on with what they are doing. I am saying it is fine, as longest there are no physical, psychological and real life predicament that hinders their ability function properly, and to seize other opportunities that could be of interest.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I am neither being nihilistic nor cynical. All I am saying is that gaming excessively is bad.

As far as the number of "professional" gamers - even if you included streamers it would still only be a fraction of a percent of the whole. 99.9%+ of gamers don't make any sort of money from gaming, especially not enough to live off of.

As far as me talking about wealthy people goes, I was just responding to Komo's point. Being wealthy is always better. Most of the problems we have in life are from not having enough money and the stress that comes from that. Sure, some people can turn to lives of excess when they become rich but that isn't necessarily the case. Anyhow, I never argued that poor people love gaming and rich people don't. That's just simply not what I said at all.

It doesn't matter if you "receive good" from doing something you like (gaming). If you are gaming excessively that is a problem, period. It doesn't matter if it makes you happy. Just because something makes you happy, that doesn't mean it's good just as something making you sad doesn't mean it is bad. Keep in mind that I am not talking about merely playing video games, I am talking specifically about excessive gaming. As far as what constitutes 'excessive,' who knows? I would personally define it as playing 3 or more hours per day, 5 or more days per week. Also, people tend to conceal mental illness because they don't want to be judged or treated differently. A lot of people can present as being perfectly fine when they aren't at all. I think that if excessive gamers were honest and open the vast majority would admit that the reasons why they game so much is because they are depressed, lack social skills, lack ambition, lack friends, are lazy, aren't good with the opposite sex, etc... some mixture of these and other reasons. Nobody who is truly happy and well-adjusted plays video games all day every day.